United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 41 of 75
10 August 2013 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
It seems enough to find an environment in which to interact and use the language,
regardless of the fact that it does not meet the influence of English, which is the
national language of countries on almost every continent since the 1600s.

French was used as a political lingua franca in Europe until the early 20th century. Were there any places
outside Britain where English was even widely understood in the 1600s?
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 42 of 75
10 August 2013 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
I was referring not to the lingua franca, but to the British Empire, such as the West
Indies, British India, the North American colonies, etc. I think the majority arrived in
the 1700s and 1800s with the addition of Malaya, Australia, New Zealand, parts of Africa,
etc.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 11 August 2013 at 12:35am

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 43 of 75
11 August 2013 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I still do not understand the "Eurocentric" comment.

See casamata's post.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4280 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 44 of 75
11 August 2013 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
I do not need to check the number of speakers for Portuguese [.....] In
the UK there are language books for Catalan, Polish, with levels for B1, B2, etc.
regardless of their having not as many speakers are Portuguese.

Most of this post is attacking straw men. The only thing I disagreed with was saying
Dutch has a large amount of speakers. It's the equivalent of a village boy standing in
awe in front of his village's five-storey town hall and exclaiming "What a tall
building!". Standing next to him, his friends who have lived in the city and seen 100
storey buildings can only shake their heads. But ultimately this is all just semantics so
if it makes you feel better, please keep thinking Dutch has a large amount of speakers.

A more accurate comparison would be if someone said the Chrysler building was tall and his friend, having seen the Burj Khalifa, told him he was american-centric ;-).

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 45 of 75
12 August 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
The problem is that, like Scandinavian languages, if one is not fairly fluent or fast and competetent enough in conversation (probably B2 minimum), the native speeakers will switch into English.
I seriously doubt it takes such a high level. It's actually about very specific skills, like fluency of speech, not having a strong English accent, the right intonation etc. And maybe better than average listening skills, because if you constantly ask to repeat, that's another reason to switch to English.

Many learners develop these skills only at B2, true. But if you specifically work on them, it can be done much earlier. Some people have a convincing pronunciation before they can actually say anything sensible.

As for the main topic, for me the presence on the Internet is more important. And the attitude to piracy, heh. Romanian and Polish have been awesome in this regard.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 46 of 75
14 August 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Actually people here switch to be helpful to
other people. All you need to do is ask. I
can't remember a single instance where I had
trouble getting someone to switch to Swedish.

Also is anyone ever going to meet all 23
million people that speak Dutch? Let alone
Portugese?

No?

Good. I only need one good friend to learn
their language. Welsh or Tagalog doesn't
matter.

Edited by tarvos on 14 August 2013 at 11:49am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 47 of 75
14 August 2013 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Well, the fact that there are ten million speakers and not one million only means you are more likely to find people you will like speaking to (your demographics, similar hobbies or education or job etc). But you don't have a chance to speak with a million people. I've been living in Prague for over two decades and I cannot imagine speaking with every person here even if I decided to stay for the rest of my life and try.

The real difference, in my opinion, lies in the amount of cultural things available, the presence on internet, and in existence of areas crowded with speakers. For example, I think it's easier to find Slovak practice in Slovakia (with around 7 million people) than French practice in Québec, where it is native tongue of 7 million people as well (by Wikipedia) but where it is scattered among English.

I think the limits go approximately like this:
-under half million: endangered, hard to practice anyhow unless you move to a specific place
-between half million and two million or so: depends on how much is the language supported by governments and the population. It may already be enough but it may be the same as above
-between 2 and 50 million: if it is a national language and especially a European one, than it is surely enough to provide a learner with basic comfort. But when it is a non national language, especially in places where it gets quite no support, than it is like the smaller ones.
-from 50 millions up or so, it usually a comfortable language to learn. Italian, Korean, Persian, Tamil, Turkish and so on. But of course, there are exceptions.
-over 100 million speakers: a giant which will force its way into your life if you let it. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 48 of 75
14 August 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
I have not even had trouble with finding
Icelandic speakers. My italki contact even
speaks Dutch!!!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version