Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4027 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German

Message 25 of 75
09 August 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion it depends on your ineterest. If you want to learn about the culture of
some country it would be nice to learn the language. If you can use it for work it is a
great deal. But if you don't have any particular interest just go for the one your heart
tell you to.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4280 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 26 of 75
10 August 2013 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

That's hardly a Belgian/Dutch-specific requirement.
In fact, Norway requires foreigners to take Bergenstesten (B2 exam) prior to applying for job positions in Norway (Swedes and Danish are exempted from this thanks to Nordic passport union).

Are you sure ? I did not think that kind of restrictions existed in the Schenghen Area for citizens of states member of the Schenghen convention. A friend of mine lives and works in Norway and I know that she learnt Norwegian but I did not think she had a B2 level prior to applying to her 1st position. I could be wrong though.

As for the original question, informations about the population of native speakers is of interest to me (not only the number but the repartition) but it is not the main criteria I use to pick a language.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 27 of 75
10 August 2013 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
I would imagine there is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from learning a smaller language. A Berliner is
hardly likely to cartwheel down Unter den Linden because you approached him in German. But being able to
speak, say, Finnish must bring an enthusiastic response from the natives.

Edited by beano on 10 August 2013 at 1:12am

5 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 28 of 75
10 August 2013 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
What about Dutch? I think a very approximate estimate would be 15-20 million speakers in
the Netherlands and Belgium. I think this is a large amount of speakers, as well as it is
covers two countries in the EU in terms of official language status, and also there are
overseas imperial territories, present and former in the West Indies and Indonesia. The
problem is that, like Scandinavian languages, if one is not fairly fluent or fast and
competetent enough in conversation (probably B2 minimum), the native speeakers will
switch into English. It reminds me of the switch to English in Montréal. So whilst there
may be substantial amounts of speakers, in some cases it seems as if one must reach a
high level to have opportunities to speak with native speakers if they are fluent in the
learner's native language. My Dutch is not B2, and I am very frequently afraid of native
speakers switching to English with me whilst I am in the Netherlands or Belgium.

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 29 of 75
10 August 2013 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I think a very approximate estimate would be 15-20 million speakers in
the Netherlands and Belgium. I think this is a large amount of speakers

Only from a Eurocentric perspective.
2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian

Message 30 of 75
10 August 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
How is that not many speakers? Catalan speakers, for example, have less than Dutch
speakers, but Andorra have Catalan as its national language--it certainly is useful
should one wish to live or visit there. I think someone said before, that if someone
continuously met new people everyday, the number would still total under one million.
Outside of Europe, I visited the Netherlands Antilles several years ago, and one could
use Dutch there as well.

I used to live in Newcastle, which seems to have more Scandinavian immigrants than other
parts of the UK. I met approximately 20 Norwegians and 20 Swedes whilst there, so if I
knew one of those languages better, I would be able to speak with them (if they did not
switch to English, of course).

Edited by 1e4e6 on 10 August 2013 at 4:45am

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 31 of 75
10 August 2013 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
How is that not many speakers?

Have you taken a look at the number of speakers for some of the larger languages? Even
Portuguese, which is far from the largest, dwarfs Dutch by a factor of 10.

And your point about meeting a million people or whatever makes no sense, as was
explained in a previous post.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 

Message 32 of 75
10 August 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
I do not need to check the number of speakers for Portuguese, I already had known that
Portuguese has more speakers than Dutch. What makes no sense is a "Eurocentric
perspective" argument--I would think that if a language is European, like Dutch, it
would
be useful if one were in the country of origin, which, by definition, is in Europe. But
what I meant is that a language such as Dutch, or even Portuguese, which is "far from
the
largest", can be used outside of Europe in Brasil, Angola, Macau, etc. as Dutch can be
used in the Dutch West Indies or Indonesia. When I was in Curaçao, Dutch was used,
Dutch
tourists were present, and it is the national language. A language such a Dutch is
quite
useful outside of the Netherlands or Belgium, but even if it were not widely spoken
outside of Europe, such as Danish in Denmark or Swedish in Sweden, I do not see why the
millions of speakers within their respective countries is not sufficient to start
learning. A
language does not need 200 million people for usefulness. In the UK there are language
books for Catalan, Polish, with levels for B1, B2, etc. regardless of their having not
as many speakers are Portuguese.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 10 August 2013 at 8:37am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version