Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Reasons to write in your target language?

Tags: Writing
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5914 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 13
28 August 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Writing is the language skill I practise the least. When I speak, I can make gestures and get enough instant feedback to communicate. Speaking draws the language out of me, whereas writing is painfully slow and there's no hiding place for poor grammar or spelling. However I want to write more because:
1. There are lots of opportunities to use my TL through emails. I'm tired of sending a short email or, worse, resorting to English.
2. To drill grammar.
3. To improve accuracy and spontaneity in speech. If I can write it, I can speak it (at least that's what I hope!). This last reason is the most important for me, so I am thinking of writing down imaginary dialogues. To comment about things in my mind such as the weather, and then sit down and write that comment in my TL.

What are some of the reasons you write?
How do you practise?

Edited by Mooby on 28 August 2013 at 6:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4512 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 2 of 13
28 August 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
In terms of practice - Sprachprofi once compiled
a list of 100+ essay
topics
that would be fun and interesting to write about. For 30 days I did one of these a day and posted
them to lang-8 to get feedback. There was a noticeable improvement.

Sorry about the weird post formatting, I'm on my mobile.

Edited by Hekje on 28 August 2013 at 6:53pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 13
28 August 2013 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Writing in other languages, especially English but others as well, does bring various advantages:

1.You get better at it
2.You can communicate on interesting forums and in communities where you wouldn't get otherwise
3.It is an opportunity to find different writing styles than those developped during the education process. I write a story in English, wrote some fan fiction, tried a diary in French and I've been enjoying the differences from writing in Czech. Both the objective ones and those coming from my different approach to each language, different literature read in it and so on.
4.It is a challenge. In French, it is pretty hard because I've been neglecting writing in it during the last year or so. In English, it is sometimes easier than in Czech because I have been writing mostly sms or exam tests since graduating highschool.

I practice by writing a lot. And reading does have impact as well. However, I found my speaking and writing skills are quite independent on each other.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5849 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 4 of 13
28 August 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I have to write alot to get new words to stick in my memory, particulary for Russian, Mandarin and Classical Greek.

Usually I like to write short paragraphs and then I analyse what the words are doing in the sentences. This helps me with the grammar.
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5575 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 5 of 13
28 August 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Here's why I write:

1. I am a visual learner. I learn best by seeing a word written down, so reading helps, and writing (and then reading what I've written back to myself) helps me drill spelling and grammar.

2. I enjoy writing. I used to come home from school every day and write stories non-stop until I went to bed. Thanks to my love of story writing, I've got quite a good imagination. The more I write, the stranger the ideas I come up with, and the more complicated the concepts become for me to try to express in my target languages.

3. When I first started learning German, one of my favourite things to do to practise besides talking a lot was to write. Why? Because I was afraid of reading real stuff - even really simple kiddy books. So I had my (often rubbish) writing corrected, and then I'd read my own writing back to myself, aloud. This was different from reading actual proper German because I'd know the majority of the words I'd written down already. Writing helped my reading. I imagine it's actually supposed to happen the other way around, but whatever :]

Jack

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 13
28 August 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
To improve accuracy and spontaneity in speech. If I can write it, I can speak it (at least that's what I hope!).
You need a lot of either listening or shadowing. When I was learning Finnish, at one point I could write and think fluently but actually producing fluent speech took a lot of shadowing. I expected to need it in Italian too but I've listened a lot (watching AC Milan as I'm writing this post) so it wasn't needed. I'll probably do shadowing when I have some specific plans to go to Italy, but mostly I'll be working on my pronunciation/clarity/accuracy and not fluency/fluidity/speed.

As for my reasons... to add some personal touch to all the football and media. to express my thoughts and emotions, even to feel closer to my team.
3 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3982 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 7 of 13
29 August 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
I used to keep a diary in Vietnamese. I found it really useful for learning the every day things. I guess once you get to a higher level, joining forums and talking about things that interest you might be a good idea.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 13
29 August 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Funnily enough I have the same problem now with Russian as Serpent once had with Finnish: I can write it and at a primitive level think in it, but I have not listened enough in it to get tha 'buzz' in my head which is the best background for learning to speak fluently. The funny thing is that when I listened once again to the Croatian series about their old kings on the History Channel yesterday I got close to having that feeling of a language buzzing around in my head - even though I haven't really studied Croatian or its linguistic neighbours. If the History Channel or somebody else could just be persuaded to send similar programs in Russian with subtitles then it would help a lot.

As for shadowing I have tried simultaneous shading, but find it utterly impossible - I stop listening when I speak. Sequential shadowing is possible, but boring and I have to press buttons all the time, but even worse: I don't get the buzz that listening to genuine speech with a visual component and subtitles would give me (even subtitles in Russian would be fine). OK, I could have searched harder, but in the meantime I just use writing as a slower substitute for speaking. And one good thing with writing is that you can return to things you have written long ago and see the progress.

Edited by Iversen on 29 August 2013 at 12:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version