goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3908 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 33 of 45
04 September 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Among natives is one thing, among learners it should be another.

Let's worry about it being actual Breton first before we work out the details.

I am not quite sure that I follow. What is one thing about natives and another among learners? The need to decide on a dialect?

As a learner, I actually think it's potentially quite an important choice to make. But, it depends on your reasons for learning the language. I gave an example of a situation when dialect is rather unimportant as a learner. I'll give one where I think it matters:

I live in Cornouaille, very near the border between Léon and Trégor. I choose to study Breton because French is actually the second language of a great many of my neighbours and I often hear as much Breton in the village as I hear French. My intent is to one day speak Breton fluently, to be able to fully participate in day to day life here, and to volunteer my time and effort to the community for maintaining local culture. Therefore, I make an effort to find materials that native speakers have said are in KLT and have reviewed as relatively "pure" KLT. Relearning how to make basic sounds later makes no sense to me when I could learn them the way that is the most useful to me from the beginning.

Edited by eyðimörk on 04 September 2013 at 6:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 34 of 45
04 September 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

Cristina, I agree with you, you cannot not choose. However the way I read the question in the title and the
OP, the issue is whether there is any sense in deliberately choosing a dialect from day 1. Let me put it like
this. Do you speak Andalusian because you decided to go to Andalusia and you learnt Spanish when living
there, or did you go to Andalusia because you had decided to learn this particular dialect of Spanish?

I went to Spain to study Spanish for the first time when I was 19, and I was hesitating between Granada and
Salamanca. Finally a friend convinced me to go to Salamanca because it is such a nice city and the nightlife
is great, party until 5 in the morning... So I've ended up with a "posh Salmantino" accent rather than an
Andalusian one. If I had had loads of money at the time, I might have ended up speaking Argentinian,
because my dream was to go to Buenos Aires. My point is, the accent you end up with will often be dictated
by factors that have little to do with your choosing to speak that way from the beginning, at least if you are
easily influenced by your surroundings, as I am (linguistically speaking).

In the Spanish case the decision was not mine but my mother's and her main concern was to make sure I
came into the Castilian and not the Catalan area. Had she known about the accents within Castilian she
would have wanted me to go to Salamanca :-)

And you are right, of course, when we are doing immersion we simply adopt the accent they have, but I still
believe that when you study on your own, in some languages you need to make a choice fairly quickly, if or
no other reason because you may need different textbooks. At some point in my life I would like to learn
Portuguese, and when I do I realise that I will need to make the choice between Brazilian and European
Portuguese. And presumably from day 1 :-)

Ps. I ended up in Granada, and trust me: They are not left behind as far as partying goes...

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 35 of 45
04 September 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
I hear all the time that people want to learn American English rather than British English or South American Spanish rather than...erm...Spanish Spanish. Is there actually any sense in doing this, given that most people who learn a language as an adult will never get to the stage of having a native accent anyway? And if so, is it important to focus on this pronunciation from the start, or does it not really matter until you're more advanced? Is speaking a particular dialect important to you? For anyone who's mastered a particular accent or dialect, how did you go about it?

And just for fun, here's a link to a Norwegian Man City fan with a Manc accent: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Features/2013/August/City-fans- around-the-world

This reminds me a bit of "What to do with pluricentric languages".

As an outsider learning a foreign language, you may not have that much leeway to pick a dialect or variant since it's heavily dependent on whatever is used in the course and/or the understanding/background of the author or instructor.

As I study Northern Saami, my books state that there are two broadly defined dialects in "Western" and "Eastern". Most chapters indicate one or two isoglosses showing the differences but the authors still teach the "Western" dialect with the key to the exercises aligned to this strategy. In other words, I'm supposed to gain a decent grasp of the western version of Northern Saami, but also become familiar with some traits that are found only in the eastern version.

As mentioned earlier, there are also cases where the dialect or variant learned depends on geographical or social accident (e.g. a Pole working as an au-pair in Australia for a couple of years would unsurprisingly become most comfortable in Australian English relative to other variants).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 36 of 45
04 September 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Among natives is one thing, among learners it should be
another.

Let's worry about it being actual Breton first before we work out the details.

I am not quite sure that I follow. What is one thing about natives and another among
learners? The need to decide on a dialect?

As a learner, I actually think it's potentially quite an important choice to make. But,
it depends on your reasons for learning the language. I gave an example of a situation
when dialect is rather unimportant as a learner. I'll give one where I think it
matters:

I live in Cornouaille, very near the border between Léon and Trégor. I choose to study
Breton because French is actually the second language of a great many of my neighbours
and I often hear as much Breton in the village as I hear French. My intent is to one
day speak Breton fluently, to be able to fully participate in day to day life here, and
to volunteer my time and effort to the community for maintaining local culture.
Therefore, I make an effort to find materials that native speakers have said are in KLT
and have reviewed as relatively "pure" KLT. Relearning how to make basic sounds later
makes no sense to me when I could learn them the way that is the most useful to me from
the beginning.

Learning sounds is easy. That doesn't take a lot of time. If you live in a small
village, of course you're bound to the accent of that village. I did the same thing
when I studied French. That makes sense.

For a general learner of Breton however, these aren't really relevant. It doesn't
matter to me if I speak vannetais or cornouillais because I've been to Bretagne (Brest)
once. And in that sense natives can complain what they want, they should be happy I
speak their language at all considering it's endangered. If you live somewhere locally
it makes a lot of sense to pick up the local habit, I wouldn't do that any differently.

But I do not understand the vitriol some brittophones have against people who speak
with a more unified or mixed dialect. There are foreigners learning your language that
a couple hundred thousand speak, be happy someone from Sweden or the Netherlands
bothered to speak your language at all and isn't coasting on their French, or worse,
English. If you are a language in dire need of speakers, then scaring them away by
saying "but you must learn dialect x and otherwise you are not speaking Pure Breton(tm)
" is profoundly unhelpful. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I understand the need for blending in with the locals if you're planning to actually
live in a small village in Brittany where they speak a particular variant of Breton
(and the changes associated with it). But for everyone else, who is simply interested
in Breton lifestyle and culture, demanding that they learn the pure Breton of village X
(unless that's actually the standard) is useless. Having a nice orthographical standard
which crosses a few bridges is much better than a scattered diglossic system. And the
pronunciation can always be adapted to the locals and taught - I speak Breton with a
French r but if they want me to roll it - sure. Or zh as an h, not as an s or a z.
3 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3908 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 37 of 45
04 September 2013 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Learning sounds is easy. That doesn't take a lot of time.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I personally don't find it an easy task to relearn the entire sound of a non-native level language — vowel sounds, consonant sounds, and intonation — after I have already taught myself to speak it one way.

tarvos wrote:
For a general learner of Breton however, these aren't really relevant.

Not to go entirely off topic, but I think that what you're referring to here as "a general learner of Breton", and what I referred to in my example of a situation when dialect in unimportant to a Breton learner, is actually something like a 1% minority. The general Breton learner is probably someone who lives in Brittany.

tarvos wrote:
But I do not understand the vitriol some brittophones have against people who speak with a more unified or mixed dialect. There are foreigners learning your language that a couple hundred thousand speak, be happy someone from Sweden or the Netherlands bothered to speak your language at all and isn't coasting on their French, or worse, English.

To be fair, in the past 2 years of living in Brittany I've never personally heard anyone complain about a foreign accent, whether in Breton or French. And there are some very very very thick British accents around here. All (western) foreigners who have attempted to learn either language have always been lauded. Of course, that is to my face, and I am a foreigner. The way things sound, when speaking about native Francophones speaking Breton in Breton language media, at the online elitist (francophone!) Breton culture fora is a whole different story.

Edited by eyðimörk on 04 September 2013 at 7:31pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 38 of 45
04 September 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
I did get the vitriol. And in the case of Breton, you may be correct about the living in
Brittany situation. I'm not one of them though, I don't plan on moving there.

The first thing I usually do is cultivate pronunciation in any language (also in Breton),
the problem was moreso that I have had no exposure to Breton in any oral form since my
holiday there. So maybe the differences between dialect are more marked than I expect
them to be. You just change the things particular to the dialect.

Edited by tarvos on 04 September 2013 at 7:54pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 39 of 45
04 September 2013 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
You cannot go the pure way for Quebec French because all the material for it expects you to already know the standard.

The difficulty -- and I'm sure this applies to several other dialects -- is that speakers have access to a whole spectrum of language ranging from the written standard all the way to unrecognisable dialect forms. In other words, teaching Québécois French from the start means to also have to teach standard French in parallel.
2 persons have voted this message useful

gmatt539
Canada
Joined 4904 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 40 of 45
05 September 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
...St. John's Canadian English (my uncle lives there with his family)...

Hehe, St. John's is definitely not a place for 'Canadian English'. Newfoundlnd has a very unique accent due to its' isolated history. I like the Newfie accent a lot (you can definitely hear the Irish influence) and they are probably some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version