Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 57 of 59
11 September 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
When the experienced non-native speaker of German comes across "Mädchen", he or she
will probably automatically associate it with "das" in the nominative singular, without
even needing to think of it being neuter or a diminutive, even if she had to learn it
that way in the early stages.

In a similar way, nouns ending "ung" will automatically be associated with "die" in the
nominative singular.

For the native speaker, this process will be even more automatic, and probably much
faster at the micro level, and he almost certainly won't think of whether it is in the
nominative or not, and won't spend too much time worrying about whether it's singular
or plural. All that will happen equally automatically (presumably).

I think that what I am trying to say is that the more familiar one is with the word,
it's the word itself that is the significant thing, and not the gender of the word.

We don't have gender in English in the same way, but when it comes to people and
talking about them in the 3rd person, I never need to consciously think about their sex
before assigning the pronoun "he" or "she" to them, or "him" and "her", "his" or
"hers". It happens unconsciously. I assume something of the sort is happening with
speakers of languages where all nouns have a gender.

3 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 58 of 59
12 September 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I didn't mention gender in the passage you quoted, but no, grammatical gender is not
meaningless. The problem is that it doesn't always correspond to biological gender (for instance 'the girl' "das
Mädchen" in German is in the neutrum because it is a diminutive form) so it can be difficult to avoid thinking
in misleading terms when using it.

Ultimately the question is: how do you remember the grammatical gender of a word in for instance German,
apart from relying on pure repetition? There are some tendencies, but trying to formulate binding rules that
cover everything is hardly possible. But learning to recite a verbal rule is not really what I mean by giving a
notion a meaning. Diminutives is a fairly welldefined category, so being a diminutive would be a recognizable
characteristic of a word. So every time I see "Fräulein" I should jump from 'diminutive' to 'ok, then it must be
neutrum' - and with time I should stop short of even thinking this, but just 'feel' that association at some
semiconscious level.

Alas, not all German words belong to a gender-defining category, and then I have to rely on memories from
the times I have seen each word in a suitable setting. In practice this means learning article + noun as an
whole, and then it is debatable whether the gender in itself has a meaning apart from being associated with
certain articles and certain adjectival endings. But even at this level of pitiful desperation the gender must still
colour your perception of the word in some way, because otherwise you wouldn't know how to use it in
concrete phrases. A feminine word must have 'something' that characterizes it in the same way as being a
member of a certain church or tribe or party characterizes a person in the street - even if it is hard to define.

The difference between me and people who just want to learn from context is that I include mass memorizing
of nouns with their gender from a dictionary among my learning methods, while they exclude it. But the
method is not important: the point is that you have to establish this association with a grammatical gender in
the same way (and preferably at the same time) you learn to associate the word with an image or a
translation or whatever people use to define the meaning of words.

I just try and adopt an accept-and-learn policy. It doesn't bother me that Mädchen is a neuter word, I just take
it as it comes. I knew it was das Mädchen long before I figured out what diminutives were, I just thought it
was
some sort of exception.

Commonly-used works tend to stick pretty rapidly because you hear them time and time again. Knife, fork
and spoon each have a different gender but with enough practise you find yourself reaching for the correct
form. That said, you would have to be a robot to get the gender consistently correct when using more
advanced vocabulary, but you can always guess. I've always believed that saying something incorrectly is
infinitely preferable to keeping your mouth closed. Besides, gender slips do not impede understanding to any
great degree. I'm sure native Germans are already well used to hearing foreigners getting their der, die and
das mixed up.

Edited by beano on 12 September 2013 at 12:47am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 59
12 September 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
For a native or near-native speaker a lot of things function automatically, but you don't get to that stage overnight. And that's where I think that it helps to establish the correct automatisms if I first go through a stage where grammatical rules are converted into one-step associations, in analogy with the way I learn vocabulary. The point is that I want to convert the quasi-mathematical formulas and semi-juridical rules of standard grammars into something small and manageable and meaningful which I can use as memory aids when I memorize words and expressions - and preferably also when I write or speak.

A rule formulated verbally on thirteen lines with seven exceptions and one exception to the exceptions in a standard grammar will slow you down so much that ypu can't use it for active writing or speech - not even if you have learned it by heart. On the other hand, letting a visual pattern that covers a wordorder rule or the uses of certain ending flash through your mind happens so fast that it is feasible to use the technique. With time you only have to hint at the thought about the notion, you don't have to spell it out in your brain. For instance I don't think "D I M I N U T I V E" inside my head when I see the word "Mädchen" - that's something I may have done while I learned it in school almost fifty years ago, but I'm past that stage.

A semiautomated notion is like seeing the beginning of the path towards the real, but subconscious thing covered by the notion. A fully automated notion functions totally outside your conscious mind, but while you are preparing to put it there it can't be a bad thing to shape the concept using trustworthy information sources like grammars. My concern is how to transform that information into something that is easily memorable. And in practice that involves cutting it down into manageable and meaningful chunks, using imagery where applicable. For me it is evident that the learning process runs more smoothly if I don't have to go through a lot of messy and partly inconclusive evidence before I have learned how to use all forms of "Mädchen". Getting the rule at an early stage and then perousing the evidence is my preferred strategy.

And as I have suggested before this is analogous to getting the translation of a new word right away instead of having to wait for some kind of order to install itself in a semantic chaos surrounding a void. Or using a bilingual setup to ease you through the stage where you can't understand even a simple genuine text in a new language without assistance.

Edited by Iversen on 12 September 2013 at 10:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version