Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 88
24 September 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Cristianoo wrote:
Thanks BonneVivante. Pronunciation is not that hard,

It seems easy for you because you use such a "great" resource as Penguin. Which says that
Russian pronunciation is not important, soft consonants are a "non-essential" feature and
which fails to explain even basic pronunciation rules.

To be fair, the Penguin book says that Russian pronunciation is difficult, and that it's possible for a foreigner learning Russian to be understood by Russian speakers without mastering accurate pronunciation. In my experience, that's true. Being unable to properly pronounce certain sounds will cause Russians to wince at your speech (which, in my opinion, is reason enough to learn correct pronunciation) but they will still know what you're trying to say. For some people, that's enough.

I think it's next to impossible to teach pronunciation with a print-only resource like Penguin, anyway: resources with audio are needed for that, and that's precisely why most people pair Penguin with other courses.

[Edited by original poster due to missing word]

Edited by BonneVivante on 24 September 2013 at 7:41pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 10 of 88
24 September 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
BonneVivante wrote:

To be fair, the Penguin book says that Russian pronunciation is difficult, and that
it's possible for a foreigner learning Russian to be understood by Russian speakers
without mastering accurate pronunciation. In my experience, that's true. Being unable
to properly pronounce certain sounds will cause Russians to wince at your speech
(which, in my opinion, is reason enough to learn correct pronunciation) but they will
still know what you're trying to say. For some people, that's enough.

I think it's next to impossible to teach pronunciation with a print-only resource like
Penguin, anyway: resources with audio are needed for that, and that's precisely why
most people pair Penguin with other courses.

So, you can speak with wrong genders, cases, aspects and so on and still be understood.   
What does Penguin teach them for? Of course, Russians can understand their language,
spoken with a foreign accent, but it doesn't mean that it can't cause
misunderstandings. If Russian accent causes misunderstandings in other languages, why
do you think that a foreign accent doesn't impede comprehension in Russian? What is
doing Penguin is not teaching the Russian pronunciation, it's antiteaching. It would be
much better, if there were no the first two lessons at all.
Of course, only print resources are not enough, but they are badly needed, especially
for Russian. And correct explanations are needed in order to correct the harm caused by
things like Penguin.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 88
24 September 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
BonneVivante wrote:

To be fair, the Penguin book says that Russian pronunciation is difficult, and that
it's possible for a foreigner learning Russian to be understood by Russian speakers
without mastering accurate pronunciation. In my experience, that's true. Being unable
to properly pronounce certain sounds will cause Russians to wince at your speech
(which, in my opinion, is reason enough to learn correct pronunciation) but they will
still know what you're trying to say. For some people, that's enough.

I think it's next to impossible to teach pronunciation with a print-only resource like
Penguin, anyway: resources with audio are needed for that, and that's precisely why
most people pair Penguin with other courses.

So, you can speak with wrong genders, cases, aspects and so on and still be understood.   
What does Penguin teach them for? Of course, Russians can understand their language,
spoken with a foreign accent, but it doesn't mean that it can't cause
misunderstandings. If Russian accent causes misunderstandings in other languages, why
do you think that a foreign accent doesn't impede comprehension in Russian? What is
doing Penguin is not teaching the Russian pronunciation, it's antiteaching. It would be
much better, if there were no the first two lessons at all.
Of course, only print resources are not enough, but they are badly needed, especially
for Russian. And correct explanations are needed in order to correct the harm caused by
things like Penguin.

Wrong gestures can cause misunderstandings. Using sarcasm can cause misunderstandings.
People make mistakes, misunderstandings exist. You avoid them by doing your best and
learning from them, not by trying to frantically perfectionize every language you
learn. You know as well as I do that there are many, many people who have incomplete
commands of a language, including gender mistakes, atrocious pronunciation and so on
who manage to function perfectly fine using that language.

That is not to say that the Penguin explanations are good - I have no judgement on
that, because I didn't use the Penguin course, so I don't know what it says - but I
used Assimil and some other sources - and I learned how to pronounce Russian just fine.
I make mistakes, but we all do, and it's a perfectly human thing. People aren't robots.
Yeah, it is BETTER to say пошел instead of пощел. But those sounds are hard to tell
apart! And whenever I've uttered the phrase пошел? in Russian where ш sounded like щ,
do you think my Russian friends ever said "DOES NOT COMPUTE ERROR ERROR MUST SAY
ПОШЕЛ?" Nah, they know I'm a foreigner, they take it in stride and they move on. Yes,
it'll cause some funny misunderstandings a couple times. We all get that, there's
nothing to be ashamed of. We learn from them and we move on.

By the way. I do think the soft-hard distinction in Russian is pretty important to
learn and to get right. But that doesn't mean people will kill you if you say толко
instead of только.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 12 of 88
24 September 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Just for reference, только is pronounced тока (without ль in most cases in casual
speech).
What you say does not deny the fact that textbooks should teach correctly. Not only is
Penguin incorrect, but also it sends the learner in a wrong direction! It tries to
convince him that you can pronounce Russian words with English sounds and using wrong
pronunciation rules and it won't even cause misunderstandings!
Я жить Москва is perfectly understandable. Why do you need to learn verbal conjugation if
you can speak with infinitives and be understood? Just imagine a textbook which would
teach to speak with infinitives, placing conjugation in "non-essential grammar features"
and giving just a couple of paradigmas without details. What would you say about the
textbook?

Edited by Марк on 24 September 2013 at 9:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 88
24 September 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
And что is often чё, in colloquial speech there are some acceptable reductions. I know,
there's more things like that.

But I am not sure the Penguin course states what you state that explicitly. Could you
cite an example of what Penguin does? I didn't use that course (I used explanations that
were more useful for Dutch speakers, who don't have the same sound system at all). For
example, I was taught that the Russian t is the same as a Dutch t (our t is dental, not
alveolar like in English).

Edited by tarvos on 24 September 2013 at 9:56pm

BonneVivante
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4648 days ago

33 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 88
25 September 2013 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

What you say does not deny the fact that textbooks should teach correctly. Not only is
Penguin incorrect, but also it sends the learner in a wrong direction! It tries to
convince him that you can pronounce Russian words with English sounds and using wrong
pronunciation rules and it won't even cause misunderstandings!
Я жить Москва is perfectly understandable. Why do you need to learn verbal conjugation if
you can speak with infinitives and be understood? Just imagine a textbook which would
teach to speak with infinitives, placing conjugation in "non-essential grammar features"
and giving just a couple of paradigmas without details. What would you say about the
textbook?

This is obviously a very important topic for you, and I understand your desire to see good teaching materials for Russian (certainly, all existing materials have some flaws, and that can be frustrating) but please understand: I'm not saying pronunciation is unimportant. I still think, however, that the Penguin course can be very useful if you know its limits. Penguin is definitely not the best resource if your primary goal is fluid spoken Russian, but it is a good starting overview of grammar for an English-speaking solo learner.

Does it lead some people astray with its comments about pronunciation? Probably. However, I don't think it's necessary to disregard the useful parts of the Penguin book just because it gives some bad advice about spoken Russian in the first couple of chapters. I think most serious learners look for reviews and opinions about a book or program before adopting it, and so hopefully those people go into Penguin knowing its strengths and weaknesses.

On the subject of pronunciation, do you have any recommendations or personal favourites for resources to cultivate good Russian pronunciation? I, personally, have worked very hard to make my Russian pronunciation as good as possible so that my father-in-law stops correcting me at family dinners! The hardest sound for me to pronounce properly is the vowel ы

And sorry, Cristianoo, for slightly derailing your log!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 15 of 88
25 September 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

But I am not sure the Penguin course states what you state that explicitly. Could you
cite an example of what Penguin does? I didn't use that course (I used explanations
that
were more useful for Dutch speakers, who don't have the same sound system at all). For
example, I was taught that the Russian t is the same as a Dutch t (our t is dental, not
alveolar like in English).

"If you simply want to be understood, you can ignore the following details.
If you read Russian words as they are spelt, you will not cause misunderstandings. But
if you are interested in the details of the small differences between the way Moscow
Russian is written and the way it is pronounced, study these six points".
Among "these six points" there are hard and soft consonants, vowel reduction and
voicing-unvoicing. "As they are spelt" means with English sounds, мя like mya in all
the positions.

3 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 88
25 September 2013 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Cristianoo wrote:

1. I intend to travel to Moscow and St. Petersburg in 2015 during a planned Round the
World trip. I already took a RTW vacation, so this is going to be my second one. Much
more fun! Also, I hope to visit some of other East European countries, specially
Belarus (russian could help) and Czech Rep (maybe not).

3. Maybe, depending on my Russian level, I will take the transiberian railroad trip,
from Moscow to the end of Russia.

Hi Cristianoo,

that's a wonderful goal and it will help a lot with you not giving up. By 2015 you have plenty of time to be at a very good level, and hopefully by the end of the trip you will have practiced so much in dialogue and pronounciation.

Keep up your enthusiasm and fill us in on your progress!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version