Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4841 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 57 of 60
08 October 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I sort of agree with beano. I got French and German from school, then did them at University. I studied Latin on my own, then have made a start at Spanish. All future languages I want to add will get me to the level of exchange of pleasanteries and reading/istening (I include Spanish in that). I want to be able to get to grips with a number of languages in French and German families, basic Turkish, possibly Greek, possibly basic Russian (I realised I remembered the words I learned when starting Russian on my own as a 13 year old).

Because my newer languages will be at a more basic level (if something is worth doing it's worth doing badly as opposed to making the best the enemy of the mediocre) I hesitate to apply the label polyglot to myself. I will only be fully functional in *English, French and German but will have a range of interests in other languages. Could I or should I learn a language completely outside my current narrow range (mostly Germanic but otherwise Romance for the most part)? Possibly. But the effort doesn't outweigh the gain.

The thing I got from this site is a)learning a language is easier when you've already learned a few b)thanks to this site I'm aware of people learning alot more languages - when you see other people doing it it's an encouragement to do likewise. First step is dreaming - Oh I always wanted to learn x or y.

So whist I don't consider myself a polyglot or wanting to become one I would say that I hover around the edges of the polyglot community. For my money a little knowledge in languages is a very good thing. The higher levels of language are extremely demanding - I could only do that in one or two foreign languages unless moving to a new country or because of employment or a relationsip.

But to get the gist of a newspaper article, say hello and sorry. I think I should be able to achieve the lower levels in a handful of other languages. I know that we all want to pass ourselves off as natives but there is a real joy in peopl'e eyes in many countries where the language is not so often learned and you're making an effort that people really do appreciate (even if it's a little rudimentary).
1 person has voted this message useful

anethara
Diglot
England
Joined 4046 days ago

25 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language

Message 58 of 60
10 October 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't want to be a polyglot, I just get super excited by languages. I'm autistic, and
most autistic people have one or a few intense interests/obsessions. Mine is language
learning. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4632 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 59 of 60
11 October 2013 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
lichtrausch wrote:
The human mind had thousands of years to tell us
what it means to human, and what did it come up with? It came up with some useful
insights via philosophy, but also countless superstitions and falsities, especially on
the biggest and most important questions. Is there an afterlife? What are we made of?
Are there any universal laws of the universe? How did the universe begin? Without the
help of science, humans could do nothing but make up stuff to answer these questions. I
consider these questions to be incredibly important "real questions" on what it means
to be human.

Oh, and you can answer them all? How interesting! Please tell us the one and only
truth. And when you're done, please also answer the following questions: How am I
supposed to live? How do I get happy? How can we achieve a just society? Why do people
have to die from hunger? How can we end war? Why is there so much violence on this
planet?

I am very much interested in the answers science gives to these questions. And I also
don't see why it is more important to create theories about sub-atomic strings than
finding answers to the questions I asked.

Thank you!

@montmorency: Why should every slightest outburst of real discussion be censored and
suppressed?

Sorry, I have only just seen that.

Actually, I somewhat take back my comment that said that the thread in question should
have been closed and deleted. I don't actually believe in deleting any thread or
comment.

In fact, there was some very useful discussion in the thread later, when it moved away
from the person in question, and on to more general issues. I'm all for "real
discussion". However, I don't believe in encouraging here the spread of the views of
that particular individual because of the negativity and bad vibes that he creates. He
has his own places for that, if people want to go to them. People can vote with their
feet or their mouse click. Perhaps an alternative might have been to close the thread
where it ended about him, and move the interesting discussion to a new thread with a
new title.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4632 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 60 of 60
11 October 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
In this post
mick33 wrote:

mick33 wrote:

As for the natural sciences and humanities I find both to be very valuable. I am unclear on what constitutes
being an "intellectual" but if I ever wanted to become an intellectual I would expect to be very well-educated in
both. I think that one problem is that since the end of Age of Enlightenment learned scholars have believed that
it was both possible and wise to separate philosophy from natural sciences and then insisted that scientific
inquiry is the best way to gain knowledge of anything whilst largely ignoring everything else. I don't think this
perspective works as well as we would like it to work, Josquin has already mentioned some questions that science
hasn't conclusively answered yet and I'm sure we could list many more, because our conceptions and perceptions of
science are actually based on philosophy whether we realize this or not.

I think that the natural sciences, as they are currently understood and explained, are based on empiricism and
naturalism. By empiricism I mean that science assumes that all knowledge is acquired through the five senses; i.e
that which we can see, taste, hear, smell and touch and that the scientific method will eventually answer every
question we have asked or will ask. I define naturalism as meaning that when the limits of empirical inquiry are
reached there are allegedly some absolutely fixed laws which govern all things in the universe. Unfortunately
there is no good explanation for why scientists are so sure that empirical knowledge is the best kind (the senses
can be fooled after all) and scientists are even less clear about what the absolutely fixed laws that govern our
universe are, or where these laws came from.

Very interesting. I believe that what is usually regarded as "the scientific method" can also be, and should also
be applied across any form of research, including into what are normally regarded as the humanities, including
language acquisition and linguistics.

To take a case in point that I've recently interested myself in: what was the language or what were the languages
spoken in central and south-east England in, say, the 1st millennium BC, and specifically in the years before
Caesar's first invasion in 56 BC. It's by no means a straightforward and obvious issue, and involves questions of
genetics, archeology, history, linguistics, and no doubt other disciplines.

Some are more overtly scientific than others, but in all of them, when one is looking for answers to questions,
then what one could call the "scientific method" (as opposed to science itself), is a desirable approach. There
should be a better phrase for it, less objectionable on the part of those steeped in the humanities....perhaps
"The Objective Method". By which I mean taking an objective viewpoint from the outset, and not assuming you know
the answer to the questions before you start looking.

It'a all too easy to be so convinced of one's theory, that instead of being objective, one only looks for
supporting evidence, and ignores evidence to the contrary.

On the other hand, those who support the established view of any particular issue tend to take entrenched
positions, and also tend to lose objectivity, especially where careers are at stake.

Either trend is bad for the pursuit of real knowledge, and perhaps a balance has to be struck.

Those interested in science will remember the Cold Fusion debacle involving two chemists, Pons and Fleischmann.
Gary Taubes wrote an interesting book on the subject, showing how objectivity went completely out of the window,
probably because the stakes were so high. They had been forced to go public before they were ready. Eventually
they were "discredited", although Fleischmann went to his grave I believe still being convinced they had been
essentially right. Interestingly, some workers in the field have managed to reproduce similar effects in more
recent times, although whether it is actually cold fusion or not is an open question.

On the issue of "old books": focusing on the age of a book is irrelevant, and the reading of old books does not
preclude the reading of newer books,and vice-versa.

We may ask what it is that makes a "Great Book", and probably the best way of finding out whether a book is great
or not is to read it oneself.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version