Norway
Joined 5139 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 73 of 76
11 October 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
I was an engineering major in college. Not quite science, but the lifestyle in college is
similar. It's like being in the army, really. Just no free time. And, you have to consistently want it, at least
from high school on. If you're entering college and you don't know, for example, how to solve indefinite
integrals, well, it's going to be pretty rough, maybe an entire extra year to catch up? I chatted with some
woman online, she was in college, wanting to take Electrical Engineering, but she was studying Algebra in Jr.
College. I try to be encouraging, really, I'm thinking, this is a massively rough road from that point.

Not to diminish in any way the hardships of stydying science or technology, but a college education involves
massive amounts of work - also within languages. I have had many days at the university of working from 8
in the morning to 8 in the evening, then have dinner and continue my studies into the night.

The only difference, is that as far as I know you cannot opt for immersion when you study science. No
country of math where you can speak with the locals about math all the time :-)

When I did my first term of Spanish I opted for going to live in Spain instead of doing it at the University. Even
if I had forgotten most of the Spanish I had learned when I was 11, I figured I would learn better by immersion
than by studying the hard way, and the thought of listening to 30 different, horrid, Norwegian accents every
day did not appeal to me.

When I came back I talked to a guy who had taken the classes at home, and who said that he had never
worked so hard in his life, and when we started speaking Spanish together his eyes literally bulged when he
saw the results I had gotten while in Spain. He said he could not even imagine how much I must have worked
to get to that point. I did not have the heart to tell him that while he had done 14-hours shifts at home,
studying grammar, vocabulary and going to the language laboratory, I had literally danced and dined my way
to my Spanish, going to every fiesta and discoteque I could find, sleeping late, flirting with lots of handsome
Spanish guys, shopping and sunbathing, and saving lots of money since things were cheaper in Spain.

That possibility of doing immersion is the only thing which in my view makes studying languages less hard
than doing science. If you stay at home and dutifully do your classes, it is just as hard. And it is hard
regardless of your gender.

I would not exclude that one gender has a slightly harder time learning specific subjects than others, but that
may just as well be due to the fact that traditionally women were not expected or even allowed to study
science, whereas foreign languages, together with singing, playing an instrument or drawing were considered
suitable subjects.

I am however 100% sure that whatever tendencies or talents which may be attributed to any gender as far as
language goes has fairly little to do with dating rituals.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4861 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 74 of 76
11 October 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
I meant women weren't better at languages than men. I agree with the last post of Solfrid
Cristin.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6402 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 75 of 76
11 October 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
cathrynm wrote:
I was an engineering major in college. Not quite science, but the lifestyle in college is
similar. It's like being in the army, really. Just no free time. And, you have to consistently want it, at least
from high school on. If you're entering college and you don't know, for example, how to solve indefinite
integrals, well, it's going to be pretty rough, maybe an entire extra year to catch up? I chatted with some
woman online, she was in college, wanting to take Electrical Engineering, but she was studying Algebra in Jr.
College. I try to be encouraging, really, I'm thinking, this is a massively rough road from that point.

Not to diminish in any way the hardships of stydying science or technology, but a college education involves
massive amounts of work - also within languages. I have had many days at the university of working from 8
in the morning to 8 in the evening, then have dinner and continue my studies into the night.

The only difference, is that as far as I know you cannot opt for immersion when you study science. No
country of math where you can speak with the locals about math all the time :-)

When I did my first term of Spanish I opted for going to live in Spain instead of doing it at the University. Even
if I had forgotten most of the Spanish I had learned when I was 11, I figured I would learn better by immersion
than by studying the hard way, and the thought of listening to 30 different, horrid, Norwegian accents every
day did not appeal to me.

When I came back I talked to a guy who had taken the classes at home, and who said that he had never
worked so hard in his life, and when we started speaking Spanish together his eyes literally bulged when he
saw the results I had gotten while in Spain. He said he could not even imagine how much I must have worked
to get to that point. I did not have the heart to tell him that while he had done 14-hours shifts at home,
studying grammar, vocabulary and going to the language laboratory, I had literally danced and dined my way
to my Spanish, going to every fiesta and discoteque I could find, sleeping late, flirting with lots of handsome
Spanish guys, shopping and sunbathing, and saving lots of money since things were cheaper in Spain.

That possibility of doing immersion is the only thing which in my view makes studying languages less hard
than doing science. If you stay at home and dutifully do your classes, it is just as hard. And it is hard
regardless of your gender.
THIS! I'm struggling really hard with my degree because nobody even cares if my English and German are good or not, they only care about doing specific tasks and "working hard enough". But that's also the lack of flexibility in the Russian education system where you don't really *take* or choose subjects or languages and there's no such thing as major, minor or whatever. Applied linguistics was pretty much my only way to combine my liking for languages and computers.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4249 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 76 of 76
11 October 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Learning a language is relative to the method you use and your determination. It has never been proven 1 sex is
smarter than the other.

I know someone whose mother-tongue is Cantonese. She learned to be fluent in Mandarin but at times she would
stumble on individual words and phrases. Found this to be a common problem in the Chinese community because
people learned the old-fashioned way by "memorization" instead of trying to learn by phonetics.

I have 2 friends living in Germany who have an Austrian father but brought up in Canada at home speaking
English. They took German in high school but without listening to German TV or radio stations it was questionable
how fluent their German was before relocating to Europe as Catholic priests. Along the way they picked up
Spanish & Italian as well.

Edited by shk00design on 11 October 2013 at 8:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version