Germany
Joined 5348 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 17 of 40
06 January 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Victor Berrjod wrote:
I should be able to reach 15000 in 1.5 years, which is not bad at all!

Not bad indeed!

How does this pan out out in the long run? According to Huliganov, you should end up, on average, encountering a new word 3 times, so it should end up taking roughly one and a half hours to learn 25 new head words (I added in a couple of 5 minute breaks there). How much time do you actually spend on it per day? Do you do more than one language at a time?

Thanks.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 06 January 2014 at 4:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4897 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 18 of 40
06 January 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:

How does this pan out out in the long run? According to Huliganov, you should end up, on average, encountering a new word 3 times, so it should end up taking roughly one and a half hours to learn 25 new head words (I added in a couple of 5 minute breaks there). How much time do you actually spend on it per day? Do you do more than one language at a time?

For the last year and a half, I've been focusing mainly on one project at a time, which lets me make more visible progress, although one of them was an experiment with goldlisting isolated Chinese characters, which I found were harder to remember than when I did the same thing with Chinese words (even with characters I didn't know). Probably it's because characters tend not to have precise meanings, which words do more often. When I've goldlisted sentences, they are usually really easy to remember, even if I don't remember what each word means by itself, so I usually only do sentences to show grammatical constructions rather than for the sentence itself.

My goal for this year is to stay at an average of 75 lines per day, which should be one hour of active work, plus breaks, but I find that not only do the distillations take less time per line than the initial headlist, but when I use commuting time to mark the lines I'm going to distil in advance, the actual distillation of 25 lines also takes much less than 20 minutes, so I save time that way. Sometimes I can easily do 50 lines in 20 minutes because I've prepared the distillation in advance and there are few long lines!

When I'm free, I often do many more lines than usual during the day, but normally I spend one hour a day in total working on a goldlist.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7026 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 19 of 40
14 January 2014 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Holidays are over, first class of the year was yesterday.

One of our "f" students has decided to drop out, and possibly one of our "a" students :(
The instructor tried something else to mix it up. He found some (non-biblical) exercises
which gave an English paragraph, to be translated into Greek. The word translations were
also given, so it turned into a grammar thinking exercise. I asked someone about it, they
said they liked it, but they don't think it did anything.

Edited by ElComadreja on 14 January 2014 at 4:08am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 20 of 40
14 January 2014 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
From your descriptions, it is not simply vocabulary which is causing the students difficulty. Biblical Greek is not a simple language to learn, and I know from experience that knowing mountains of vocabulary doesn't neccesarily make it seem easier since the words are so inflectable, not to mention special features of syntax. What they call "the attributive and predicate use of adjectives" caused me no end of confusion the first three times I tried to learn Biblical Greek.

Making vocabulary learning less daunting is one way to ease the pain. Another solution might be to use singing during lessons. The Teknia website has three songs in Greek which are available freely. They have an alphabet song, the Doxology and Jesus Loves Me. I also know that a lot of popular choruses are based directly on the words of the Bible. If I was teaching Biblical Greek I would take a few of these songs, look them up in the Greek NT, and teach my students to sing them in Greek. Also, there is a commercial CD called "Sing and Learn New Testament Greek". I have no idea how good it is, but the reviews are generally positive.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7026 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 21 of 40
15 January 2014 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
αμην as I said before, the free word order is tripping them up the most. Or to put that
another way, they don't get noun cases. I'll kick those ideas over to the instructor.

EDIT: one had to stop because of work related issues, the other because we required that
they finish the headlists over the break (at the rate of 2 a weekday). They did not.

Edited by ElComadreja on 15 January 2014 at 5:59pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7026 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 22 of 40
17 January 2014 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Under pressure from the remaining students, the two who decided to drop out have somehow
caught up and are back in the class now.
3 persons have voted this message useful

polyglossic
United States
polyglossic.wordpres
Joined 4132 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Russian, French, Ancient Greek, Portuguese

Message 23 of 40
22 January 2014 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
This topic is really interesting! I just graduated with my MA in Applied Linguistics, and my final 'field experience' project was actually on vocabulary acquisition in an intermediate (Classical) Greek classroom! So I'm really intrigued to read about your experience with this method. I tried a couple of different activities as the student-teacher (I was also a student in the class) and have played with some different techniques myself, but I'm always interested in learning more.

Attrition was a big problem in my classroom as well. Out of about a dozen who start a two-year cycle, there were only four left in the fourth semester (plus me). Two of them were devoted students but only one of them had any kind of knack for it. One of the others was just trying to get out of college alive (senioritis obtains!) Oddly, the one student with the LEAST amount of motivation (like, showed up to class only 50% of the time) was the student who was taking the class because he looked forward to going into the priesthood. :/ Student motivation was a continuing topic of conversation between me and my mentor teacher. Do you have any insights into why students drift away over time? Other than the difficulty of the language?

polyglossic
United States
polyglossic.wordpres
Joined 4132 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Russian, French, Ancient Greek, Portuguese

Message 24 of 40
22 January 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

Making vocabulary learning less daunting is one way to ease the pain. Another solution might be to use singing during lessons. The Teknia website has three songs in Greek which are available freely. They have an alphabet song, the Doxology and Jesus Loves Me. I also know that a lot of popular choruses are based directly on the words of the Bible. If I was teaching Biblical Greek I would take a few of these songs, look them up in the Greek NT, and teach my students to sing them in Greek. Also, there is a commercial CD called "Sing and Learn New Testament Greek". I have no idea how good it is, but the reviews are generally positive.

Along the same lines, here is a great article I used in my own research and project development:
http://tcl.camws.org/fall2009/TCL_I_i_30-66_IrbyMassie.pdf

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version