Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 33 of 40
16 February 2014 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure John's epistles are as easy as Curious George, nor is 1 Peter as hard as Shakespeare, although it is certainly one of the harder NT books to read in Greek, so I know what you mean. Perhaps after John's epistles it would be better to look at some narrative text, such as excerpt from a Gospel or Acts.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7027 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 34 of 40
17 February 2014 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Yes, that was a bit of exaggeration. It just seems like so much of a jump between the
two and maybe we could find some smaller steps. Mark might be a good choice.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7027 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 35 of 40
04 March 2014 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
The instructors have decided on Galatians for the next round. And the peasants rejoice.

I showed the instructors some Spanish FSI drills that I've done in the past and they
asked me to put something together like that. For the first time I had 2 exercises:

1) I give a present tense verb, they give past (aorist)
2) I give them a sentence in Greek "I have a ____" and change the last word.
   (This makes you change a word to accusative case.)

I did these on an individual basis. I was going to do 2nd (or irregular) aorist but it
seemed too much the first time around. The students all kind of panicked at first
because it was all oral. Most of them started off very slow, some going through tables
in their head, some just unable to do it -- but I kept doing it until they got it with
minimal hesitation. In the end they were all like "wow I'm doing it".

For the first exercise, the word ακυοω took some more work because the first letter
changes to η.

For the second exercise I stayed in first and second declension and for all of them
there was this aha moment where they realized they just had to add an "n" sound every
time. When I threw in the 3rd declension word αιμα, they tried to do strange things
to it, but when they realized that it stays the same, that part was not so hard any
more. One of the students could not get the 3rd declension words that do change.
I'll do an extra session with them at some point this week.

The instructor for the day was quite pleased and was like "why didn't we do something
like this before?"

Next I'm going to try something like "John loves her". I'll give a string of sentences
that could either be "John loves her" or "She loves John", the correct translation of
which depends on the cases. I'm still not sure how to approach the other common glaring
problem... passive verbs.

Edited by ElComadreja on 04 March 2014 at 3:15am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 36 of 40
04 March 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
If you are studying Galatians, I highly recommend Moisés Silva's book, "Interpreting
Galatians: Explorations in Exegetical Method". It is a readable and thorough survey of
the
major issues in New Testament interpretation, but uses Galatians for most of the
examples. An excellent read for NT students, but especially useful for help
interpreting
Galatians.

Method/dp/080102305X/ref=la_B001IODP4U_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&q id=1393932999&sr=1-4">Amazon
link

I like your FSI style drills for Greek. It could be really useful to yourself (and
others) if you wrote a bunch out.

Edited by Jeffers on 04 March 2014 at 12:38pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7027 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 37 of 40
04 March 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
I am typing up what I'm doing :)

We just focus on translation at first, looking at all the possible ways a verse can be
translated. Then when we feel the students have a hold on that, start doing what you are
talking about... looking up historical background & doing word studies, etc. I'll tuck
that book away though. (the link looks messed up, I've been having the same kind of
problem).

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7027 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 38 of 40
06 March 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Well, I think class enthusiasm is a little better now. I think it's because word order is not much of an issue in Galatians.

I tried out a "Jesus loves him" drill, and it was kind of a disaster. The students just don't get it. I took out the "him" and there was still confusion. Looking at the results the instructor and I just had our face in our hands.

But at least we see the problem now. We tried it with some 2nd declension nouns instead of a name, and that wasn't so bad. We'll see what else we can do.

Edited by ElComadreja on 06 March 2014 at 6:07pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7027 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 39 of 40
24 March 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
The teachers focused on some 2 sentence words, and everyone finally gets now that the Nominative has to go in front of the verb in English (I don't know if they would use the word 'nominative' though). Success. For a better general understanding one of the teachers had the idea that we could take a Greek sentence, put each word on a piece of paper, and have the students arrange the words in the expected English order. I think it did some good and everyone enjoyed it. I would not have tried it before though because in the past many of them were just trying to scramble up the words until it sounded right.

One of the students dropped out. He's working on a thesis... I don't blame him.

Edited by ElComadreja on 24 March 2014 at 7:08pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7027 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 40 of 40
22 December 2014 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
Greek class is over. 3 made it all the way. That's about on par with our previous
classes. In addition, one other struggling student finally had an aha! moment and can
now read the Greek NT really well, they just got blown away by textual criticism.

Continued use of Goldlist in our Greek class is undetermined. We have some students
that just completed the course, and half of them didn't like Goldlist, and the other
half didn't think it did anything. One of our instructors has been against the idea
pretty much the whole time.

Still, something interesting here is that we didn't do any vocab tests in the last
year like we normally do, and the results are basically the same. Some of our
graduating students who are good now had horrible vocab tests when we stopped those.
Was it just extensive/intensive reading, or did Goldlist lend a hand? hard to say

In fact, our graduating students might be better off than usual because for the last
year we have been concentrating on reading, and they are so used to it now, which is
what we want them to do when they are done with the course anyway.

Traditionally, we have a 2 year make it or don't policy. If you fail somewhere you
have to start at the beginning, but I'm thinking of breaking it down into smaller
courses... for example from above, you could be able to read but not understand how to
choose the right textual variant.

Edited by ElComadreja on 23 December 2014 at 5:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version