Joined 4672 days ago

33 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 73
07 November 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
aspiringplyglot wrote:
TehGarnt wrote:
Isn't the problem that it's called "English"?

You mean as opposed to Scottish or American or Australian?

Well yes. The English are annoying, lets face it. The last thing we need is another
reason to feel culturally superior.

Changing the subject, I'd say the disadvantage of having English as a first language is
that you have less motivation to learn a second language, should you be into that kind
of thing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Halfdan
Canada
Joined 4004 days ago

13 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Mandarin, French

Message 18 of 73
07 November 2013 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
TehGarnt wrote:
Changing the subject, I'd say the disadvantage of having English as a first language is
that you have less motivation to learn a second language, should you be into that kind
of thing.

And I find that, because of that, less emphasis is put on foreign languages in the education system. Which is quite unfortunate.

aspiringplyglot
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
aspiringpolyglot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4397 days ago

40 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto, Polish, Scottish Gaelic, French

Message 19 of 73
07 November 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Halfdan wrote:
TehGarnt wrote:
of thing.

And I find that, because of that, less emphasis is put on foreign languages in the education system. Which is quite unfortunate.

Agree 100%! Maybe the goalposts of language learning in the education system should be changed. We seem to always want 'fluency' or 'proficient speakers' which seems to occur less than 5% of the time... Let's just try to get the kids to be able to understand a basic newspaper article FIRST... then we can worry about improving after that...
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4523 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 20 of 73
07 November 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I don't really care if English is "special" or not. The enormous concrete advantages of speaking English as a first
language, to me, outweigh any other wishful might-have-beens.

Plus, it's not the tool that's important, it's how you use it. I guess I don't see not being able to surprise someone
with an English expression as being that disappointing, because there are so many other topics I could engage them
in conversation about. We might have even more to talk about if we already share a favorite TV show.

I do sympathize with the OP, but I don't really feel like I'm missing out.

Edited by Hekje on 07 November 2013 at 6:55pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4110 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 21 of 73
07 November 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I am annoyed with having English as a native language because ironically despite having
less problems finding people to speak English if necessary in other countries, it means
learning foreign languages to a much higher level in some cases compared to native
speakers of other languages to avoid "the switch" to English on the part of various
non-native speakers in other countries.

Any native Anglophone has more chances of being given "the switch" into English if
their French is not high enough in Québec, Dutch not high a level enough in the
Netherlands or Vlaanderen in Belgium, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, or Finnish not high
enough in Scandinavia; in other cases, Italian not high enough in Italy, French not
high enough in France, etc.

Meanwhile a Portuguese native speaker or Romanian native speaker who might not have a
high level of English can go to these countries and probably practise the language of
the country without the people opting for a switch into English. If the English is
worse than the language they try to speak, then the switch would lead to more
communication problems. Thus, they are basically forced to communicate with the foreign
speaker in Norwegian, French, Dutch, etc.

As an English native-speaker, I do not have this available. In some cases, I have even
pretended that I cannot speak English, or that English is not my native language and at
a low level so that I can practise my languages.

Jamopy
EnglandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4400 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Swedish

Message 22 of 73
07 November 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
TehGarnt wrote:
aspiringplyglot wrote:
TehGarnt wrote:
Isn't the problem that
it's called "English"?

You mean as opposed to Scottish or American or Australian?

Well yes. The English are annoying, lets face it. The last thing we need is another
reason to feel culturally superior.

If you have a problem with the English, stop speaking our language (and yes i know
there's a good chance you're one of those self-hating Englishmen, i'm just making a
point).

For me having English as my native language has been fantastic. I know that almost
wherever i go in the world i will be able to make myself understood if i need to. I
also have a lot of shared references wherever i go to the the influence of both the
British Empire and the American entertainment industry. Whether it has been completely
healthy for the recipient's culture is of course debatable, but there's no denying it's
useful for those of us who do speak English.

Also it means that if i do choose to study a foreign language it's because i actually
want to, not because i'm forced to do it for career or travel purposes.

Papashaw
Australia
Joined 3923 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 23 of 73
07 November 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
We may become the minority, if the language more non-native speakers gains.

tanya b
United States
Joined 4598 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 24 of 73
07 November 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Yeah English is the big juggernaut and maybe some people don't like it--but it can incorporate a Hindi word like "juggernaut" into its lexicon and still get away with it.

No one can repay English for giving the world vital words like "nerd", "geek", "dork" or "dweeb", and English (unlike Armenian, for example) has no committee trying to squash the use of such words in the media in favor of more accepted words.

I can appreciate English for its accent variety--from the hilarious Cockney to the smooth Jamaican--and its adaptability, the fact that it's always churning out new words like "whackjob" and "twitterfeed" that were unknown until recently.

I know that if "TV English" becomes the only language in a future monoglot world, which may actually happen, it will no longer seem "special", but for the time being it still has a lot to offer both learners and native speakers.

Edited by tanya b on 07 November 2013 at 10:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version