Triglot
Canada
Joined 4255 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 41 of 73
08 November 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
The place I lived in many years ago was Hong Kong. Before the handover to China in 1997 it was in the
Commonwealth with English recognized as an official language. However, the education system allows people to
choose between using Chinese in the core subjects with 1 English class / day or the other way around. People like
us don't really have a problem with learning English as a job skill but the 2 people don't mix very much or
intermarry (there are always exceptions). The place where we lived there were some English children living in the
next building. There was a high wall separating the 2 buildings. It was a physical as well as a social barrier. Every
once in a while the Chinese kids in our building would throw rocks over the wall as if we were fighting a war.
There was a family in our building the father is Chinese & the mother is American. They spoke Chinese with their
kids although they had a slight Americanized English accent.

The demographics is over 90% Chinese with the Indians being the largest minority at barely 5%. The British ruled
the land but we tended to look at them as foreigners living in China. Beside government officials there were few of
them by population. In the 1980s there were a lot of people from Hong Kong who emigrated to N. America (US &
Canada). The numbers peaked in the 1990s and many of them started moving back before and after the handover
in 1997. There are many of us who are expats (at least 10,000) who lived in both places and are fluent in both
Cantonese & English.

Edited by shk00design on 08 November 2013 at 6:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Papashaw
Australia
Joined 3914 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 42 of 73
09 November 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Papashaw wrote:

Also add SOV, V2, and verbs added in a reversed order at the end of sentences after using an auxiliary. English
should have more complex syntax lacking inflection but no! I may start sneaking in to-be for certain verbs and will
look at the list of pronominal adverbs and try to reintroduce them to the masses.

I forgot to add reflexive verbs with distinction between dative and accusative in German, heck, English lacks
reflexive usage a great deal compared to other indo-euro languages. Who keeps on doing this? Where is the
compensation?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexive_verb

If the language is not made repaired, then I will fire the language. Ah I can see myself as linguistic V broadcasting a
linguistic ultimatum akin to the original graphic novel...
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 43 of 73
09 November 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
This sounds like the same reasoning why Dutch should have cases - we lost them, they were
introduced to sound more pretentious like in Latin or German - and then abolished again
because nobody used them.

English is English. It has its own peculiarities, no need to sound overly Germanic.

Edited by tarvos on 09 November 2013 at 6:01pm

Papashaw
Australia
Joined 3914 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 44 of 73
09 November 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
It would not bother me so much, the cases and everything else, but how does German have these analytical
complexities such as much more complex word order and modal particles while all those other synthetic
complexities such as impersonal passives, two more -wh words, genders, conjugations, cases,
declensions, multiple ways to form plurals, etc. still remain?

What does modern English have over German besides more verbal aspect?

German is that video game class with everything that keeps on getting updated every patch, or that fictional Vulcan
alien that has 3 times our strength, lifespan, and has natural psychic powers and all the Humans have is not much.
Overpowered, strange choice of word, yes, but it is.
Hence I call on native English speakers to be intuitive with evolving their language.

I remember seeing a youtube comment with 50 likes saying that English is a stupid poor languages with barely any
grammar and it could be learned in only 2 weeks which is why everybody uses it and a 100 posters started
commenting with tons of agreement.

It will be that way when English is watered down and stripped by their usage since natives don't bother maintaining
it. Painting a bullseye around the bullet hole I say.
I am starting to dislike English native speakers; they can't take care of their own language. Except for me and y'all
of course. If I didn't know better I would also dislike the English language just like those other foreigners out of
ignorance.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 45 of 73
09 November 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Papashaw wrote:
I remember seeing a youtube comment with 50 likes saying that English is
a stupid poor languages with barely any grammar and it could be learned in only 2 weeks
which is why everybody uses it and a 100 posters started commenting with tons of
agreement.

Well, native English speakers do have lots of practice at hearing people struggle in
our language with all manner of thick accents, incorrect grammar, and strange word
choices and yet still making some sense out of it. Or perhaps these YouTubers spend their
time speaking with fellow adepts of Globish rather than natives, and so overestimate
their abilities.

Edited by tastyonions on 09 November 2013 at 8:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 46 of 73
09 November 2013 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Papashaw wrote:
It would not bother me so much, the cases and everything else, but
how does German have these analytical
complexities such as much more complex word order and modal particles while all those
other synthetic
complexities such as impersonal passives, two more -wh words, genders, conjugations,
cases,
declensions, multiple ways to form plurals, etc. still remain?

What does modern English have over German besides more verbal aspect?

German is that video game class with everything that keeps on getting updated every
patch, or that fictional Vulcan
alien that has 3 times our strength, lifespan, and has natural psychic powers and all
the Humans have is not much.
Overpowered, strange choice of word, yes, but it is.
Hence I call on native English speakers to be intuitive with evolving their language.

I remember seeing a youtube comment with 50 likes saying that English is a stupid poor
languages with barely any
grammar and it could be learned in only 2 weeks which is why everybody uses it and a
100 posters started
commenting with tons of agreement.

It will be that way when English is watered down and stripped by their usage since
natives don't bother maintaining
it. Painting a bullseye around the bullet hole I say.
I am starting to dislike English native speakers; they can't take care of their own
language. Except for me and y'all
of course. If I didn't know better I would also dislike the English language just like
those other foreigners out of
ignorance.

Why is having different grammatical features "less watered down"? Sounds like an
entirely arbitrary way of looking at English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 47 of 73
09 November 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I have never met anyone who called English "stupid" and "simple to learn" and had
anything more than a basic and clearly flawed command of it. Any language presents quite
enough complexity if you want mastery rather than "good enough to be understood."

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 48 of 73
09 November 2013 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Tell the "simple" thing to the foreigners who consistently fail to speak English on a
daily basis, those who struggle with it every day.

English doesn't conjugate verbs so strongly or decline its nouns except for plural, but
that doesn't make English a walk in the park.

Edited by tarvos on 10 November 2013 at 12:07am

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version