Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 185 of 556
09 December 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am however hoping that Josquin could be persuaded to head the Russian team. He has been a great team mate, and I think he could do a great job as a leader, as he is very focused, positive and hard working. Josquin, could you be persuaded into taking over the reigns? :-)

I would be honoured to do so. That is, if the team agrees, of course!

I feel like I have some big shoes to fill though. You have been an inspiration as captain of Team MIR, Cristina!

Great!! I do not quite know how the formal process to elect a captain will be conducted within the team, but I am sure people will be most happy to follow your lead. I suggest you start the thread, and then we can take it from there once we know for sure who will be part of the team.

And thank you for the compliment :-) It has been an easy and inspiring crowd to lead.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chris13
Groupie
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3845 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 186 of 556
09 December 2013 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
I've read through the pages at the start of the thread and think I understand what the challenge entails. I will join if newbs are permitted to join, however if at any point I'm doing something wrong? or whatever, just pm me as it will be unintentional on my part.

I'm not really sure what level I'd be classed as at this moment in time but I'm still new to Finnish, so I doubt it's a good level. I would ideally want to reach a solid B1/2, however higher would obviously be amazing.

I'm not sure whether I should also apply for Swedish also or not as I don't have much time for it, though I am sometimes exposed to it and I do try and learn a bit of vocab here and there. I'm a complete beginner in Swedish, i.e I can say basic phrases, bits and pieces I hear when out and about.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5001 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 187 of 556
09 December 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
I'm up for Team Iberia since Spanish will probably be my main focus. If there isn't a general Romance team this year (which is fair enough, especially after the mess with the two teams this year!) then I'd be open to being on several teams, like the intermediate/advanced French one that's been mentioned and an Italian one. I'll see how it goes.
3 persons have voted this message useful

AnnetteK
Triglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4147 days ago

13 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Croatian

Message 188 of 556
09 December 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
I'm studying Croatian and I'd be interested in joining a team but there don't seem to be any BCMS learners
around ... Is there a Slavic languages team?

My current level is lower intermediate (passive: strong B1, active: weak B1). I eventually want to be C1
passive, B2 active but I'm not in a hurry, I expect to take another three or four years to get there.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 189 of 556
09 December 2013 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
The Russian team has a team thread now.

Will there be links to the team threads in the first post of this thread? Would be great!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 190 of 556
09 December 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
AnnetteK wrote:
I'm studying Croatian and I'd be interested in joining a team but there don't seem to be any BCMS learners
around ... Is there a Slavic languages team?

My current level is lower intermediate (passive: strong B1, active: weak B1). I eventually want to be C1
passive, B2 active but I'm not in a hurry, I expect to take another three or four years to get there.
There's a Uralic/Balto-Slavonic team. At least Chung and me are learning BCSM, and maybe someone else on the team too.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 191 of 556
09 December 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Chris13 wrote:
I've read through the pages at the start of the thread and think I understand what the challenge entails. I will join if newbs are permitted to join, however if at any point I'm doing something wrong? or whatever, just pm me as it will be unintentional on my part.

I'm not really sure what level I'd be classed as at this moment in time but I'm still new to Finnish, so I doubt it's a good level. I would ideally want to reach a solid B1/2, however higher would obviously be amazing.

I'm not sure whether I should also apply for Swedish also or not as I don't have much time for it, though I am sometimes exposed to it and I do try and learn a bit of vocab here and there. I'm a complete beginner in Swedish, i.e I can say basic phrases, bits and pieces I hear when out and about.
You are definitely permitted to join and very welcome :) The teams to consider are *jäŋe/*ledús (Uralic and Balto-Slavonic, Finnish is a popular language), Scandinavian and Team STARt (since you're learning your first foreign language). You can sign up as an "observer" if you're not sure about the commitment. Although you seem quite motivated for Swedish :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 192 of 556
09 December 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
@tarvos: I'm not up for leading the Korean team this year. I could imagine Evita doing an awesome job at it, if she'd like to (is she participating next year?). I think you'd also be a great leader, after all you're the one who brought it up in the first place! :)

Bakunin wrote:
*I had something like a "log burnout" this year and took a break from doing anything HTLAL-related for the last two months or so after reaching my goals a bit ahead of time… I've since abolished keeping track of my language activities. Feels great. Won't go back to counting hours or pages anytime soon.

Bakunin, I loved reading your log! I found it really informative and interesting, even though I have no interest in studying Thai (and it doesn't happen often that I love reading a log for a language I don't want to study). But I totally understand that it was tedious, especially counting hours and whatnot. Maybe a kind of conversational log, which is a lot more informal and laid back and doesn't count anything, would be less tiring?

Edited by druckfehler on 09 December 2013 at 2:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 556 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version