Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4031 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 9 of 42
08 December 2013 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
What course are you using in Memrise? I've gone through Learn Basic German (I could as well get on without it) and now I'm dealing with 1000 words of elementary German and that one seems more useful so far :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 10 of 42
08 December 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
What course are you using in Memrise? I've gone through Learn Basic German (I could as well get on without it) and now I'm dealing with 1000 words of elementary German and that one seems more useful so far :)

I'm using the Advanced Vocab 1 list. It's always so hard to figure out what level I should be studying at, lol! When I do beginner stuff I get bored since I know it but when I do anything in the Advanced ring, I start see many holes in my knowledge that makes it challenging to keep up. But luckily with this list I'm retaining the vocab and using them in practice sentences aloud and in my mind.

What's in your list of Elementary German? Is it mostly nouns because I definitely need that as well.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4031 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 11 of 42
08 December 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Well, I doubt that it is really elementary because the last word I remember could be translated as fellow student :) Yes, there are mostly nouns, and the choice of verbs seems strange sometimes (e.g. schwarzfahren), but any list would do it anyway, my vocabulary... erm... sucks!
I also use my smartphone much, for example, playing LingLing - that thing is a casual way of training vocabulary :)

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 12 of 42
08 December 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I hear you on the smartphone thing although I use my tablet mostly (I'm addicted to it) and that list sounds like it's worth checking out and downloading.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 13 of 42
19 December 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
I haven't checked in with German for a while.

I've been stagnating for a little while mainly because I have no clue where I should I put my time. Vocabulary or listening comprehension? I'm thinking of focusing on the latter since it's the only one that keeping my somewhat entertained. I love Memrise, but I find that I don't really want to do it as much as I want to listen to German podcasts. I'm also finding my attention being drawn to my other goal language as well.

I really need to find time to Skype with my German friends. I'm always so tired after work that all I want to do is crawl in the bed and sleep. When I do have off days they're during the week when everyone else is working. That's another resolution for me: make more time for Skyping!

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 14 of 42
25 December 2013 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Ok so while I'm sticking with the podcasts I've added the Pukka German and A Flavor of German shows to
my list. I've made the move to learning more colloquial German. It seems like I'm all over the place with my
German. Also I've started seriously learning Spanish and may have to indefinetly suspend my Finnish.

On another note, my mom said something interesting last night when I bought my Spanish books. She
said to be sure to keep up my German so I don't lose it. Now my mom has never been in favor of my
learning German so I was really surprised she said that.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 15 of 42
02 January 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
For the new year I've decided to give myself a challenge.

I am a big Rammstein fan and a few years ago I purchased the book Messer, a series of poems written by the lead singer of R+, Till Lindemann. Unfortunately when I first bought the book I couldn't read it at all, however my German is much better now.

That being said, my personal challenge is to translate the poems in that book from German to English. I've done the first poem in the book (also titled Messer. Here's a link to the book and no, I did not pay 300 euros for the book. Never will I be that insane.

http://www.amazon.de/Messer-Gedichte-Fotos-Jens-R%C3%B6tzsch /dp/382180730X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388648327&sr= 1-1&keywords=messer+till+lindemann

It's quite a lofty goal but I think I can do it. Just doing the first translation I learned about 7 new words. Which is my reason for doing the translations in the first place. He has a peculiar writing style which I can hope to learn from.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 16 of 42
21 January 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Ach! Es hat ueber 20 Tagen gewesen seit habe ich hier einen Update geschreiben. Trozt meiner Abwesenheit lerne ich noch Deutsch und jetzt habe ich ein fixes Programm!

Abonnierte ich zu dieser deutschen Podcasts:

Slow German
Deutsch im Alltag
NDR Info
Schlaflos in Muenchen
Wort der Woche
Top Thema mit Vokabeln

Ich hoere fuer einen Stunde in der Arbeit (waehrend der Pause) und am Ende des Tages wenn wir zu Hause fahren zu. NDR Info ist sehr gut fuer Nachrichten, sie sprechen normal aber ich kann noch verstanden. Endeckte ich auch die Hoerbuecher von Christian Heinke. Ich finde sie ein bisschen zu schwer aber ich moechte gern die Geschichte zu verstanden!

Sie nennte als:
Die Haut
Das Herz
Escape
Kabbalah
Das Mal

Edited by Tollpatchig on 21 January 2014 at 10:03pm

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version