2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 33 of 42
14 February 2014 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
Der erste Post im Februar!

Ich benutze wieder Anki. Die Karten heißen: Conversation Connestors, Lower
Intermediate to Advanced Vokabeln und Verbs from Themen Aktuell 2. Ich habe keine Ahnung, was Themen Aktuell 2 ist, aber das ist mir egal. Ich habe heute 125 Karten gelernt. Außerdem habe ich vier Podcasts zu meiner App hinzugefügt. Sie heißen:

Kastenfisch <---- Ein Mann spricht über sein normales Leben.

Geek Stammtisch <---- Drei (oder so) Männer sprechen über Computer und Technologie,
meistens über Programmiersprachen wie Ruby on Rails und C.

Der Geschichtspodcast <---- Zwei Männer sprechen über Geschichte (History) und machen
auch Interviews.

Männerabend <---- Einige Männer sprechen bei Bier, Wein und anderen alkoholischen
Getränken. Ich glaube auch, dass sie Scherz-Anrufe machen.

Tatsächlich kann ich die nicht ganz verstehen, aber ich weiß, dass sie sehr lustig
sind, (I can feel it!) also werde ich sie mir anhören. Ich will so gerne Männerabend
verstehen und auch einen deutschen Podcast über Linux finden. Ich möchte mehr
darüber und Computer im Allgemeinen lernen.

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4641 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 34 of 42
14 February 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
Gestern habe ich zwei Filme von Amazon.de gekauft: Der letzte Zug und Das Tagebuch der Anne Frank. Vor einiger Zeit habe ich 'Der letzte Zug' auf Netflix angeschaut und dieser Film ist wirklich toll! Später werde ich einige Filme von Hayao Miyazaki auf Deutsch kaufen. Auf meiner Liste ist Howl's Moving Castle, Mein Nachbar Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service und Spirited Away.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4641 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 35 of 42
14 February 2014 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
Gestern habe ich eine kleine Übung mit meinem Freund aus Nordrhein-Westfalen gemacht. Wir sprechen meist auf Deutsch, aber manchmal muss ich mein Deutsch durch Englisch ersetzen. Alles in allem war es ziemlich gut, aber ich glaube, dass ich so schnell wie ein Muttersprachler zu reden versuche und dann mache ich viele Fehler und kann nicht das richtige Wort oder die richtige Endung finden. Trotz alledem war Kai super geduldig und nett. Ich habe ihn auf WKW getroffen.

Ich finde meine Podcasts super hilfreich für das Hörverständnis.

Here you go with your corrections! I hope they're useful.

I think it's great you have such a good time learning German!

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 36 of 42
15 February 2014 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot Jos! And as usual I have a few questions...

"Ich benutze wieder Anki."
What is the difference between benutzen and einsetzen? I've been told there is none, is
it just a stylistic thing? For example in my Pokemon Y game whenever a Pokemon uses an
attack the text reads: "So-and-so setzt Glut ein!"

In this sentence I used 'ueber' and it's correct:
"Drei (oder so) Männer sprechen über Computer und Technologie,..."

But in this sentence you changed it to 'bei':
"Einige Männer sprechen bei Bier, Wein und anderen alkoholischen
Getränken."

I've been seeing a lot of different uses for 'bei' but this is one I haven't seen. Does
this mean that it can also mean 'about' and if so, in what situations? Also I thought
einige ment 'only' or something like that, I hadn't ever looked it up, I'm just basing
on the context that I've seen it in.

Those are the ones I didn't really understand too much. All the other corrections were
clear to me. Thanks so much hun. I can see I need to really work on the declinations, I
guess I don't know them as well as I thought I did.

Edited by Tollpatchig on 15 February 2014 at 3:44am

csidler
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
chadsidler.com
Joined 4620 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 42
15 February 2014 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Search iTunes for "tagesschau".

You can get the daily 15min video podcast of the news in German. Good way to start becoming familiar with
what is happening.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4641 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 38 of 42
15 February 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
Thanks a lot Jos! And as usual I have a few questions...

"Ich benutze wieder Anki."
What is the difference between benutzen and einsetzen? I've been told there is none, is it just a stylistic thing? For example in my Pokemon Y game whenever a Pokemon uses an attack the text reads: "So-and-so setzt Glut ein!"

You can think of it as the difference between "to apply/to employ" and "to use". "Benutzen" is a lot more unspecific and general than "einsetzen". To my mind, "einsetzen" often implies a certain purpose of using something, which "benutzen" simply doesn't. I hope this makes sense...

Quote:
In this sentence I used 'ueber' and it's correct:
"Drei (oder so) Männer sprechen über Computer und Technologie,..."

But in this sentence you changed it to 'bei':
"Einige Männer sprechen bei Bier, Wein und anderen alkoholischen
Getränken."

I've been seeing a lot of different uses for 'bei' but this is one I haven't seen. Does this mean that it can also mean 'about' and if so, in what situations? Also I thought einige ment 'only' or something like that, I hadn't ever looked it up, I'm just basing on the context that I've seen it in.

I think I might have misunderstood the sentence. If you meant to say that they were talking about wine and beer (i.e. that wine and beer was the topic of their conversation), "über" is correct. However, I thought you meant to say they were talking over a glass of beer (i.e. while drinking wine and beer). In this case, "bei" would be correct, but I think I simply misunderstood the sentence.

"Einige" means "a couple of". "Manche" doesn't sound good in this context. You would use "manche" if you wanted to say something like: "Some men talk about wine and beer and some men don't."

Edited by Josquin on 15 February 2014 at 2:02pm

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 39 of 42
23 February 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the clarifications, Jos.

So I've started working in the Living Language Ultimate German Workbook Beginner-
Intermediate. I started using this book a few days ago really so I can get a good
grounding in the basics again, since I feel that I don't have an unwavering foundation.
I like the book somewhat. The review questions at the end of the Lessons are a joke and
way too easy, but the grammar is explained in an easy to understand way. Also the
little dialogues that start off each Lesson are pretty good and they also feature non-
polite speech along side the Herr and Frau so-und-so dialogues.

But still, I really wish the Practice Makes Perfect Series would come out with an all-
in-one German book. They've already got one for Spanish and French.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4419 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 40 of 42
23 February 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Trying again, got an error trying to post last time.

You probably already have enough materials, but a nice resource worth checking out is called "Klipp und Klar". It is monolingual German, but has clear and simple explanations of grammar point on the left side and exercises on the right. There are two levels of the book.

Here is the publisher's website page where you can look inside the book. Klett has a lot of other materials as well.
Klipp und Klar

I ordered my copy through book depository (.com in US, .uk in UK, not sure which one would work in Canada). They only have new books and audiobooks (no films like amazon.de), but they have free shipping, and tons of books in German and other languages.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version