Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 193 of 252
04 March 2014 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
You are right, as usual.

I pretend I don't stress, but I do and that has to go :)

Spring... I know it's around the corner, but so far it has been raining almost non stop for days. Only this morning did we see the sun, but by tonight it could be raining again.

Rain can really bring you down.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4434 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 194 of 252
04 March 2014 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
I know the feeling of wanting to do a lot and then lose faith because life comes in the way. TAC is a great thing, but I've also noticed that it leads people (me at least) to set somewhat unrealistic goals. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, as long as you are aware that you are aiming too high - it is only by setting challenging goals that I force myself to work hard. However, I've also learnt to accept that I may not reach all of my goals, and to be satisfied if I get halfway.

As for studying only one language rather than several: I firmly decided to go with both Greek and Russian this year as well, although I did not get to where I wanted with Greek in 2013, and so far this year I have not been able to keep up the pace. I feel that my Russian is progressing well, and I do not want to lose the momentum. On the other hand, I am not ready to give up on my ambition of learning Greek, and I keep it dangling in front of me, as a place to get to some day, even if I have to make many stops on the way. Besides, I do not only spend time on Russian, I also have my other small projects, like advancing my knowlege of Romansh, improving my Italian and keeping up with a couple of other languages. And yes, sometimes I get a bit stressed as well, because I don't feel I spend my time wisely, or I think I do not progress the way I would like, but that is life, and I am not ready to give up on any particular language, nor am I able to change my daily schedule to free up more time, so I have to make the best out of it.

In short (and apologies for my "babbling"), don't give up Turkish if you really enjoy learning it, and don't feel down even if you do not manage to meet all your targets every day, week or month. Do what you think is right for you in the moment. Above all, even if it is TAC, it is not a competition, we should be in this for the joy of it.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 195 of 252
04 March 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

And yes, sometimes I get a bit stressed as well, because I don't feel I spend my time wisely, or I think I do not progress the way I would like, but that is life, and I am not ready to give up on any particular language, nor am I able to change my daily schedule to free up more time, so I have to make the best out of it.

You said it perfectly :)

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 196 of 252
13 March 2014 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
French

A review of Rapid method for French verbs ([c1919">).

It focuses on the practical use of the language, it doesn't believe in blind conjugation, and it makes you repeat things througout the book, so by the end you have no option but to remember them.

The rules are given in a practical and brief way, so that you don't get lost in fancy words.

Already in 1919 it talks about the tenses we don't use in conversation, and it presents them for knowledge but not for actual learning.

It covers a rather extensive vocabulary of verbs, and it helps you connect those that are conjugated in the same manner. It presents those that are most used, in my opinion, so by the end you have a good arsenal of verbs.

Apart from verbs, you get some vocabulary lists of nouns, adjectives, adverbs, etc.

It doesn't help a lot with syntax, but that is not its purpose.

I definitely recommend it, even if it is old, because it has a lot of knowledge, well presented and organised, with practical use in mind. It sure helped me a lot.

As for the rest of the languages, I have been doing some things in Turkish, but not in Russian or Hebrew. These days I am dealing mostly with french, but even so I have a steady way of studying Turkish, so that there is progress even if I don't study it full time.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 13 March 2014 at 9:07am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 197 of 252
23 March 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
So far I have been dealing with a death in the family, illness in the family, some personal things etc.

I have only been solving the exercises of the Carazissi book of verbs, which is a handful anyway.

Some turkish as well, but mostly as simple reading of the TY book, and a bit of FSI.

As for russian and hebrew, this month only the teams' projects will make me deal with them, and thank Heaven for that at least!

I don't like how things have slowed down, but on the other hand I have never thought of giving up. On the contrary. I think this week I'll give things an extra effort.

On a more cheerful note, this weekend I saw people swimming. It's too early for me, but I can't wait for the summer to come.

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3916 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 198 of 252
24 March 2014 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
I'm sorry for your loss

I wish you the best

Edited by Cristianoo on 24 March 2014 at 4:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 199 of 252
24 March 2014 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
Thank you Cristianoo.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 200 of 252
02 April 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
After finishing with the french verbs revision, which was intense and time consuming, studying the language will be more relaxed. In fact I will focus on composition and reading, and on having fun with native materilas. Aided by grammar and dictionary, of course. Russian will also be a relaxed path, serious but not hurried or anything. I need to get a solid base of the language, and if only that happens this year I'll be very happy.

I am a bit more ambitious about turkish and hebrew. I just need to go back to fsi before I forget what little I have learned.

Today is a hebrew day. Some progress on pimsleur and some alphabet study. Also, interviews of a favourite writer on youtube, just to listen to the language (a calm, steady voice). I have no idea what he says, but one day... I do get some words though. Such as Ha Matsav, the situation, which is apparently what the Israelis use as a general term for the things that are going on there.

Such videos that I don't understand yet, have the obvious listening/accent advantages, but they are are also strangely motivating. They renew my fascination with each language.

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version