Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 201 of 252
02 April 2014 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I've been a bit hesitant, suggesting the following tv series, because it is political with an apparent effort to be objective. It is a mainstreem series though, nothing weird, and I liked it. So I thought I'd share.

The Promise

It is a parallel story about a modern british girl visiting Israel with a native friend, while reading the diary of her grandfather who was a soldier in mandate Palestine after wwii. So we get to see both what was going on then, and what is going on today. There is a mystery etc, but basically you get to see several sides to the story.

I suppose the british girl is supposed to be us, and she can't decide between the Israeli or the Palestinian guy :)

Clearly I ended up watching it after searching some hebrew stuff on youtube. It has four episodes, all uploadsd.

If it is not politically correct I'll delete the post! Clearly the matter is a lot more complicated than a tv series and I don't want anyone to feel offended.

In terms of language, it is in English (challenging accents for my ears), and some hebrew and arabic of course.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 02 April 2014 at 11:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5856 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 202 of 252
03 April 2014 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't worry too much about that. After all, if you want to learn Hebrew, it's not like you have 26 countries to choose from, right?

I'd like to recommend The Band's Visit. It's an Israeli movie about an Egyptian police music band that gets lost in Israel and ends up in a village in the middle of nowhere. After an awkward first contact (a group of Arabs in uniform in Israel...), they start finding points in common, but not in a cliché way.

It's spoken in three languages: the Egyptians speak Arabic, the Israelis Hebrew, and they use English to communicate with each other.

I enjoyed the film. Apparently, the critics also did, since it won 46 awards in many countries (including yours and mine). Why don't you check it out?

Edit: The Roller Skating Scene is fantastic.

Edited by Luso on 03 April 2014 at 12:29am

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 203 of 252
03 April 2014 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
Maybe a bit unrelated, but also a great movie: Le fils de l’autre. “As he prepares to join the Israeli army for his national service, Joseph discovers he is not his parents' biological son, but that he was inadvertently switched at birth with Yassin, the son of a Palestinian family from the West Bank. This revelation turns the lives of these two families upside-down, forcing them to reassess their respective identities, their values and their beliefs.” I really liked the movie. It’s in French, I believe, but there’s some singing in Arabic and Hebrew.

Edited by Bakunin on 03 April 2014 at 4:38am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 204 of 252
03 April 2014 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about that. After all, if you want to learn Hebrew, it's not like you have 26 countries to choose from, right?

Edit: The Roller Skating Scene is fantastic.

Thanks Luso, you are certainly right :D

That was the best version of Cyrano I've ever seen. Without words too! Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely see it. I am always looking for a good film!

Edited by renaissancemedi on 03 April 2014 at 9:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 205 of 252
03 April 2014 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
Maybe a bit unrelated, but also a great movie: Le fils de l’autre. “As he prepares to join the Israeli army for his national service, Joseph discovers he is not his parents' biological son, but that he was inadvertently switched at birth with Yassin, the son of a Palestinian family from the West Bank. This revelation turns the lives of these two families upside-down, forcing them to reassess their respective identities, their values and their beliefs.” I really liked the movie. It’s in French, I believe, but there’s some singing in Arabic and Hebrew.

Thank you for this. What an interesting thought behind this film. I will watch it of course, and the fact that it's in french doesn't hurt either :)

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 206 of 252
04 April 2014 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
"The other theme is that language study is inevitably a total human experience; writers and teachers ought therefore to act as though it is."

An FSI quote I like a lot.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 207 of 252
05 April 2014 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
After what seemed like an endless month of doing very little studying, I am back in a kind of daily program.

Russian: I turned to assimil 1971 (and MT), and that's what I do every day, one or two units, without contemplating or pondering... philosophically about it. In the end, all I want is to finish that course and after that, depending on my level I'll figure out how to proceed. I overthought about russian, what method to use etc, and that was counterproductive, to say the least. I finally settled, after 3 months... Better than giving up. Thank you Josquin for the help :)

Hebrew and Turkish proceed with FSI, and complementary materials, as needed. Slowly and carefully so that I don't leave gaps, as much as that's possible. I have also come to terms with the fact that Hebrew script will be about learning each new word, and that it will probably take me forever to achieve reading things that I haven't studied before. These languages are so different to everything I've studied so far, and to each other, that I feel two amazing, magical worlds slowly revealing themselves to me. Far away from stereotypes, or what first comes to mind about them, they hold their exotic and mysterious nature, and stimulate my exploring urges. I need a pith helmet and an old fashioned, leather-bound notebook.

Intrestingly, assimil seemed a bad choice for these two languages. The first lessons seemed to me harder than FSI. As opposed to asimil Russian, which is fantastic.

As for french, I need some sort of action that will help me improve quietly and steadily. And by improve, I mean to use the language at a more advanced level. After a massive revision I need to act. I am sick of theory only. I want to produce texts, so I will probably start writing small stories, etc. Work on them in order for them to be correct (as much as possible). I have some composition books in mind. Michel Thomas is also going to happen, maybe even starting tomorrow and completing it as fast as possible. MT helps me a lot.

I could live with this reading room...

Edited by renaissancemedi on 05 April 2014 at 10:34pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 208 of 252
10 April 2014 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
Interesting twist of events: We are thinking about a trip to Italy in a few months, maybe even Christmas as usual (God willing and financial situation permitting).

This brings Italian back in the game.

Also it raises some of the old questions like:
1. why study, say, hebrew, that I will not need, instead of Italian that I will eventually use? (because I like hebrew...)
2. Isn't taking a journey real motivation? (yes it is)
3. Why did I limit my studying Italian only to MT, although I really love it? (because I was trapped in a touristic mentality)
4. Why give up on the fact that I already have a knowledge of Italian, instead of build on that and make progress? (no reason at all)

So, where do I go from here? I was thinking about the 1950s assimil course, that I like so much. However I may have to give up on french for now, although it pains me. I thought about giving up hebrew, but I like our team too much to do that! Or maybe I'll work harder. I am just concerned about the quality of my knowledge. If I make all the effort, I might as well do it right.

A comment by Expugnator a few days ago made me think about assimil: I may have misundertood the way it is supposed to be used, that's why I could never finish one. This time round, I am being more relaxed with assimil russian, and it works better so far. So, it could work for Italian as well.

Off to read assimil threads (yes, I am procrastinating today)

Don't give me that look, Niccolò! “The end justifies the means”, right? A language learner has to do, what a language learner has to do.

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version