nancydowns
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 233 of 252
03 May 2014 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Hee, Hee! That is very fun! :-) I'll watch that someday. I love jazz!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3664 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 234 of 252
12 May 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
So, it's turkish, hebrew, russian, Italian. French is out for the moment, but I have already reviewed the verbs so I am happy.

Turkish is taking care of itself lately. FSI is a good path and the more you study the easier it gets to return to it. (The language doesn't get easier!) Maybe I have formed a habit, I dont know. I also reread a few pages back each time, and I don't know if that is a wise move or simple insecurity. I listen to the language a lot as well, and I am certain it makes a great difference already. When will I be ready to write a few lines without needing a dictionary and a grammar? I thought by, say, FSI unit ten. But no.

Russian and Italian are great for my first assimil languages. I think these are a couple of the best assimil courses out there. They go on without stress or problems, but, again, when will I be able to write something (in russian mostly)? Really, when would I be able to do that with assimil? I even learn the Italian songs! :P

It's hebrew that's the problem. I don't know why I get so stuck with it. I suspect a lack of enthusiasm but I refuse to accept it. This is not an excuse at all, but I feel like I haven't found the course that will start me from absolute scratch (= those letters!), and gently introduce me past this wall of mystery. I have tried combining things, but it hasn't worked very well so far. I could go on about it but I stop here for everybody's sake! :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3664 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 235 of 252
13 May 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
   Painted Veil

Récemment, j'ai vu le film ‘Painted Veil’ (1934). C'est le premier film basé sur le livre du même nom, écrit par W. S. Maugham en 1925. Il ya encore un autre film,   tourné en 2006.

Les protagonistes sont Greta Garbo comme Katrin Fane et Herbert Marshall comme Dr. Walter Fane. Ils se marient mais elle n'aime pas son mari. Alors, en Chine où ils vivent à cause de son travail de médecin, elle a une liaison avec un playboy. Quand la vérité est révélée, et son amant déçoit Katrin,   elle doit suivre son mari furieux au milieu d'une épidémie de choléra. Là, elle apprend beaucoup des choses, surtout comment être altruiste.

C'est un film dramatique avec un happy end bien sûr, mais les deux acteurs principaux sont merveilleux. Garbo est vraiment divine, et Marshall très convaincant et émouvant. La scène nocturne dans la cuisine entre la couple vers la fin du film est une des plus belles.

Les accents des acteurs sont variées et pas toujours facile à comprendre. Étonnement l'accent britannique était plus difficile pour moi que l'accent suédois de Garbo. J'aime cette version mieux que la plus récente du 2006.

Edited by Penelope on 04 June 2014 at 6:19am

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3664 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 236 of 252
14 May 2014 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Everytime I learn a new word, it feels like adding another diamond to a precious collection. It reminds me of the old saying we were told at school, that knowledge is the only jewel that can't be lost, stolen or destroyed.

Every now and then I should get these gems out and dust them of course, because one can still forget what they look like...

Hebrew in particular gives you that feeling, because of the root system. Each root is like a new door to many more things. I got this book

and it is getting to be really helpful. It is a children's book, and it has many words people use every day about very common things, like family, the home etc. It doesn't really involve grammar so I think it is the perfect book to teach me frequent words as well as the alphabet, before I start a course.

After a nostalgic fit I got about french last night, and following a friend's advice, I decided to focus on hebrew for a while, just untill I get the alphabet out of the way. Unless this is done there can be no progress, and I want to say how inspired I have been from Via Diva's and Tarvos efforts with the greek alphabet: great work. I should just sit down and deal with hebrew letters once and for all.

Edited by Penelope on 14 May 2014 at 7:17am

3 persons have voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4430 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 237 of 252
14 May 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
About your post concerning Painted Veil : congratulations on your French, it is perfect!

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3664 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 238 of 252
14 May 2014 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Merci!!!

:D

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3664 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 239 of 252
18 May 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Today is election Sunday, (as well as the next one). So at some point I'm off to vote and I doubt I'll do much study done, as it will be a day full of meeting friends, watching results on tv etc. It's hot and lovely outside anyway, so it's a bit like a holiday. I'd rather not think of what's coming after the elections :D

I was watching a random youtube clip from a turkish series, and suddenly I got, clear as day: ne demek bu şimdi? I knew the words but the combination was new to me. I understood it anyway, speed and all. I get words all the time, but a phrase? Good old FSI. I don't know about other languages, but the turkish course is great.

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3664 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 240 of 252
20 May 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Hebrew

I have already written about My first Hebrew word book.

It contains more that 150 high frequency words that get you started with hebrew vocabulary.

In my case it will also be the way I will learn the alphabet (or should I say aleph bet), because I have been very reluctant to just learn it cold. Some letters have stayed in mind, but others refuse to do so and, in any case I simply can't look at a text and just voice the sounds.

So, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and learn both the letters and a small useful vocabulary.

When this is done, I will (finally!) follow a course, most likely assimil or FSI. So far I have done some pimsleur and FSI hebrew (audio only), but if I follow this path I will learn how to speak a little maybe, but never learn how to read. So I thought, there is no hurry to learn Hebrew so I might as well learn it slowly but properly.

There is no time limit for finishing that book. My goal is that of quality of knowledge: by the end of it I want to be able to recognize the letters as automatically as the other alphabets I know, and remember all the words as well.

The studying sessions should be regular otherwise I tend to forget things I don't know well in the first place.

The first lesson contains 12 words that have to do with the body: hair, head, eyes etc. It only uses print letters, so I have to write down the cursive as well.
It includes nikkud which I will of course take into consideration but will not be writing back myself, because I want to get used to the native version of the language as soon as possible.

I do hope this method works and I will be documenting it, mainly as a motivation.

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version