Joined 4617 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 33 of 69
16 February 2014 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Here in 2014 I'm not officially associated with the team Celts, but
after a dry spell in January I have returned to Irish, and I have just written a
TID=12983&PN=1&TPN=441">few words about relative and other particles in Irish,
based on my somewhat idiosyncratic "Irish Grammar Book" by Nollaig Mac Congáil. My goal
is not really to speak the language, but I am getting closer to being able to read
texts and formulate sentences that are vaguely recognizable as Irish.

Similar non-team member, but friendly observer from the sides here, still learning
Welsh, primarily with the Say Something in Welsh Materials.

I'm around ½ way through the intermediate course, although I did actually skip through
most of it once before, but I'm now doing it in more earnest. I've signed up for their
end-April "bootcamp" (for which you only theoretically need to have done the beginners
course and vocab, but I think in practice, the more the better...).

In contrast with Iversen, my primary goal is to speak the language, and not write it. I
guess I would like to read it more seriously in due course, but that's not where my
emphasis is at the moment (and that's not the way SSiW works).

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4617 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 34 of 69
28 February 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
A good story, largely featuring "Say Something in Welsh", on the BBC website:

Darganfod=Discover

It's in Welsh, but Google Translate does a passably good job.

One of the learners featured there is an HTLAL member, as well as an SSiW success story:
I will leave him or her to "out" themselves here if they wish to. :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 35 of 69
07 March 2014 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
Gabh mo leithscéal, a chairde...tá brón orainn! Sorry I've been away from the Forum for so long, guys. My life has been extremely hectic these past couple of months, and I feel like I'm letting you all down. Yet despite my abysmal captaincy, I can see from our language logs that some of you have been making excellent progress, so well done. I must admit I've fallen by the wayside myself in terms of learning Irish, but reading your posts again fills me with inspiration to get back on the wagon and orient to a hopeful horizon!

To get the ball rolling, and to follow up on one of my initial suggestions, I've copied across a big ol' list of resources for learning Irish from my blog and shared this on a Google Drive. I'm thinking that this might form the beginnings of a team list of Irish resources, so that anybody who clicks the link below can view our list and leave comments and offer suggestions throughout the rest of the year and well beyond. If you'd like to help edit the document directly, please send me a PM and I'll add you as an editor too. The information in the current document is somewhat dated though, so don't be surprised if a few of the links no longer work or if some of the texts have sold out of print; it happens, I guess. Perhaps we can check this over together.

Resources for Learning Irish

It would be great if we could add similar documents with links and references to learning materials for other Celtic languages as well as we go along, and then we could collect them all together in one shared Team Celts folder. There are lots of great links and references for most (if not all) of the Celtic languages in our 2013 TAC team log that could go into this little project.

As it looks like my hectic schedule will probably continue for at least another few months, I was wondering if anyone would like to take the reins for a while and help organise an interesting challenge for April? Spring is a great time for mixing things up and starting afresh, as well as cleaning out closets.

And for everyone else in the meantime, if you haven't already, please could you add a post here in our team thread to give us all a quick update; we'd love to hear how you're getting on. Slán go fóill!

4 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 69
07 March 2014 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I just posted a status report.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 37 of 69
07 March 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
I've been updating my log as well. I'm really pleased with my Irish progress lately! I'm
almost done with the beginner volume of Gaeilge gan Stró and I just had a major listening
comprehension upgrade yesterday! I'm on track to reach a solid intermediate level before
the end of the year and I'm hoping on a Gaeltacht trip by summer 2015.
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 38 of 69
17 March 2014 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
So in a poll on Reddit asking what languages should be offered on Duolingo Irish was the big winner! And
according to this thread it's going to happen! (1st
comment) I'm not sure how it all works but I guess the next step is for natives and fluent speakers to sign up
to be incubators.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5654 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 39 of 69
17 March 2014 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Wow, sctroyenne, that's great news! I hope something comes of it soon!
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4633 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 40 of 69
17 March 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Happy St Patrick's Day everybody!

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version