Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 25 of 77
15 December 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Sadly, what I'm going to mention is not available for Dutch, but for the benefit of others reading this useful discussion, I'm going to give a positive mention to Duolingo.

Many of us self-learners rely on methods which mainly improve our passive skills: reading, listening, etc. I related very much to what Emk wrote about ignoring gender markers; we don't really need them to understand a text or podcast, so we safely ignore them. Spelling is another one which is probably difficult to get right (unless you are lucky enough to be learning a language with a good phonetic system).

I think Duolingo is great for developing some of the skills mentioned in this thread. You have to type sentences, so you gave to get features like gender and spelling right. I've used it for French, and it has helped me to have to really think about spelling. Just now I had to translate "we are rich" and had to remember that all three words have silent endings.

The main complaints I have heard about Duolingo is that it is boring, has mistakes, and the idea that it is only good for translation. I think they are working on the first two problems: they seem to be regularly adding to the contents, so when I went back to lesson 1 today there were new words I had not come across before. Mistakes will always happen on any course (as well as in listening to people in real life). But Duolingo staff do respond to and fix reported errors... eventually.

If you are a person who thinks translation should not be part of a learning programme, then Duolingo will not be for you. However, if you are happy for it to be a component of a wider programme (which in my preference would still be focused on native content), then it is useful.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 26 of 77
16 December 2013 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
rolf wrote:
Hey all,

I have reached a wall with my Dutch. I have self-learned (though I also lived in
Holland for almost two years) Dutch via Michel Thomas, listening daily to radio,
watching some Dutch TV and movies, watching English broadcasts with Dutch subs, some
reading.

My problem is that although I am roughly lower intermediate level, I have holes
peppered in my progress because I never took a formal class.

My reading is pretty darned good. Even my listening is pretty good. My speaking is
terrible and I really want to improve it. My writing is OK.

I'm thinking of doing an evening course, there are many here in London, especially
because my conversational "ad-libbing" skills are so deficient (beyond going to the
store etc.). Yet I think a total beginners class will be a waste of time. I look at the
second year instead and although I know much of it, I may be seriously behind on other
aspects.

Not sure if I should start right from the beginning or join in the second year or just
not do classes at all.

What do you think?

I hesitated, but seeing that it's speaking that you want to improve, you might want to
run your eye over this:

SSiD

Those courses are still works-in-progress (I believe), but you could give it a try.
It's all audio and speaking.

I know that the same technique works pretty well for Welsh, since I'm doing their Welsh
course, and if I was actively learning Dutch (I might go back to it one day), I'd try
using their course like a shot).

I can't remember exactly how it works for the Dutch one, but I'm pretty sure anyone can
just download the first lesson for each of those 2 courses, and if you register (for
free), you can download a bit more. For the whole of both courses you may have to sign
up for a small monthly fee. But I think you can sample enough for free to judge if it's
right for you.

I don't have any connection with them except as a happy learner with their Welsh
course.

Edited by montmorency on 16 December 2013 at 2:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 77
16 December 2013 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Sadly, what I'm going to mention is not available for Dutch, but for the benefit of others reading this useful discussion, I'm going to give a positive mention to Duolingo.

Many of us self-learners rely on methods which mainly improve our passive skills: reading, listening, etc. I related very much to what Emk wrote about ignoring gender markers; we don't really need them to understand a text or podcast, so we safely ignore them. Spelling is another one which is probably difficult to get right (unless you are lucky enough to be learning a language with a good phonetic system).

I think Duolingo is great for developing some of the skills mentioned in this thread. You have to type sentences, so you gave to get features like gender and spelling right. I've used it for French, and it has helped me to have to really think about spelling. Just now I had to translate "we are rich" and had to remember that all three words have silent endings.

The main complaints I have heard about Duolingo is that it is boring, has mistakes, and the idea that it is only good for translation. I think they are working on the first two problems: they seem to be regularly adding to the contents, so when I went back to lesson 1 today there were new words I had not come across before. Mistakes will always happen on any course (as well as in listening to people in real life). But Duolingo staff do respond to and fix reported errors... eventually.

If you are a person who thinks translation should not be part of a learning programme, then Duolingo will not be for you. However, if you are happy for it to be a component of a wider programme (which in my preference would still be focused on native content), then it is useful.
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but lyricstraining helps with these too. And it's available for Dutch :-)
It doesn't seemingly force production quite as much, but it makes you pay attention to the "little words" like prepositions etc, and if you didn't really hear them, you basically have to produce them yourself. And it's perfect for training the spelling too.

Here's a comprehensive description of the site and its features.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 28 of 77
16 December 2013 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but lyricstraining helps with these too. And it's available for Dutch :-)
It doesn't seemingly force production quite as much, but it makes you pay attention to the "little words" like prepositions etc, and if you didn't really hear them, you basically have to produce them yourself. And it's perfect for training the spelling too.

Here's a comprehensive description of the site and its features.

Thanks for the reminder! The fact that it requires typing is one of the things that probably puts some people off using Lyrics Training, but it is very good practice.

But what is this "broken record" you speak of? It sounds like some sort of foreign devilry.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 77
16 December 2013 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
There's also the karaoke mode where you just follow the lyrics :)

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5230 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 30 of 77
16 December 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
I don't think that I can add much to the ton of excellent advice already given. But I think that in this particular case a formal class at a high enough level is probably a good bet. Classes can be a bit of a roll of the dice, and a lot of people like to bash classes, but they can provide structure, discipline and access to a teacher. Add some tutoring and it can work well.

The main reason I suggest formal classes is that although self-learning can work well, it requires incredible discipline. Most of the time self-learners end up floundering at some eternal high beginner or low intermediate level. This so-called wall is actually a plateau or a form of ossification.

We can't redo the past, but two years of living in Holland and some good courses would probably have produced much better results.

Looking forward, it would seem to me that a good class plus the advice given in this thread is the way to go.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 31 of 77
16 December 2013 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
corjine wrote:
If you're looking for a personalized tutor, I highly, highly suggest
iTalki.

iTalki is fairly lacking in Dutch tutors, though. There are two community tutors and 2-3
professional teachers (but their course layout is different). One of the community tutors
is me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5332 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 77
16 December 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The main reason I suggest formal classes is that although self-learning can work well, it requires incredible discipline. Most of the time self-learners end up floundering at some eternal high beginner or low intermediate level. This so-called wall is actually a plateau or a form of ossification.

To be fair to self-study, about 98% of the people who take language classes (at least here in the US) also get stuck at about the same place. The only language we teach reliably and successfully above low-intermediate levels is English.

The French Meetups in my part of the world are full of people who've spent years in classes, and who still can't carry on a basic conversation. Almost everybody who reaches B2 or up has actually lived in a French-speaking country for an extended period of time. (Or has a serious addiction to French media.)

Sure, if you're a Peace Corps volunteer, a Mormon missionary, a soldier with high linguistic aptitude, or a member of the US Foreign Service, you can get access to high-quality intensive classes. If you're willing to spend a lot of money and travel, there are also some high-quality live-in courses in various places.

But if you decide, "I'm going to find some local French classes, sign up, and learn French!", the odds are not in your favor. And very few of these classes are prepared to deal with students who have strong comprehension but very weak speaking.

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version