justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 163
31 December 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Happy New Year to All!

Traveling home after the holidays, I was able to fully focus on studying French on the airplane. What fun! I
have now completed Assimil French Without Toil lesson 90 (passive) and lesson 34 (active). Some fun
phrases/vocabulary this week!

Tu devrais avoir honte!
pantoufles
Il y a des siècles que j'attends!
J'y suis!

On the active phase, I have a new mindset after reading tastyonions timely post above and this excellent post
by gemuse and lingoleng:   (http://how-to-learn-any-languag e.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=36961&PN=1.)

I watched 2 episodes of Engrenages (excellent!) and watched "Tell No One" -- a French movie based off the
Harlan Coben book by the same name. It was ok.... All were watched with subtitles on Netflix streaming.
Can't wait until my French is strong enough to watch without the subtitles!!! Does anyone have
recommendations for French-language movies/series on Netflix streaming?

Also, Santa was very good to me on the language learning front..... I received two dual-language books:
First French Reader: A Beginner's Dual-Language Book
French Stories/Contes Francais A Dual-Language book

Edited by Mohave on 31 December 2013 at 1:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 10 of 163
05 January 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Bonne Année et Bonne Santé! My French activities since the last update:

1) I've completed FWT thru lesson 95 in the passive wave, and thru lesson 39 in the active wave. Some new
grammar points:

Past participle agreement with direct object.... New to me this week. See this excellent
discussion/explanation on G-bods log, message 6: (http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37613&PN=1&TPN=1#4781 10)

Use the subjunctive with Il est temps que...

2) I also completed 2 FIA episodes, so now thru lesson 21. I generally like FIA, but yet is something that I
just can't bring myself to do consistently, although it has started to be more fun as now I can watch an
episode, and understand most of the French....almost like watching a French movie! What I don't understand
is mostly explained by the professor. I generally watch each episode twice before watching again with
textbook. To date, I have not used the workbook, study guides, or audio to date.

3) Movies/TV series:
    -- Les Parents -- first two episodes with French subtitles... a delightfully hilarious Québécois series
    -- Le Placard (The Closet -netflix streaming); movie ok, learned some interesting vocabulary

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4815 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 163
05 January 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi Mohave, nice log! I wish you a lot of fun and success duing the TAC14!

A few things that came to my mind while reading so far:

It is awesome if you can get the French subtitles but they are often not precise (especially those on the official dvds, those by volunteers on the internet are quite often of much better quality), so the link emk gave you is very useful. However, don't be afraid to skip this step should the subtitles be too difficult to find. Given enough time, you will get through. However, I wouldn't choose ENgrenages as the first series to watch. It is awesome but it is one of the more difficult choices. If you want an original French crime series, there are easier ones, such as Profilage (which I really like;-) ).

Anki is expensive for an app but it is worth it, in my opinion. If you have good experience with the desktop Anki, it may be a very good investment. It works well, synchronises with your other platforms easily, the customer support is excellent. And compared to its competitors, it is by far the best. If you haven't tried Anki much so far, you can get the computer version for free and, to be a little bit more mobile, you can use the website interface for free as well. There is no need to pay without being sure it is a great tool beforehand. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 13 of 163
07 January 2014 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
@Cavesa -thanks so much for stopping by my log and sharing your sage advice. Looking forward to being
teammates with you this year! Reading your log, your command of multiple languages is a goal that I could
only hope to achieve! Thanks for the advice on Anki. I think I am there, and am going to experiment with the
PC version, and then make the decision on whether to purchase the iPad app. I am researching the Profilage
series you mentioned. I greatly enjoy these types of series, so an original French crime series is perfect! I
have found seasons 3&4, but still looking for seasons 1&2.... Maybe VPN?

@Damedeslangues -- thank you so much for stopping by and visiting my log! Thanks very much for the info
on the Amazon.fr sale! What a great opportunity! I am looking at a couple of things, including the Profilage
series mentioned above by Cavesa! Looking forward to being team Triomphe mates with you! Best of luck
on your TAC14 goals.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4164 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 14 of 163
07 January 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Mohave. We are team mates. I've also loved the french language very much since I was a kid. You seem to be doing great so far, and the fact that you focus on one language will certainly allow you rapid progress.

Tastyonions has been logging in french, which is my goal as well. I hope sooner or later we can all follow his positive example.

I hope all our american friends are ok, because we are watching scenes of epic bad weather on the news!

Good luck with your french!

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 15 of 163
09 January 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Hi, Mohave. We are team mates. I've also loved the french language very much
since I was a kid. You seem to be doing great so far, and the fact that you focus on one language will
certainly allow you rapid progress.

Tastyonions has been logging in french, which is my goal as well. I hope sooner or later we can all follow his
positive example.

I hope all our american friends are ok, because we are watching scenes of epic bad weather on the news!

Good luck with your french!

Hi Renaissancemedi, Thanks for stopping by my log, and for your kind words! Trying to keep focused on
French and keep the wanderlust has been difficult, but I feel if I really want to progress, I just need to buckle
up and focus. I too have a goal to start logging in French -- hopefully in the next few months. I read through
your log, and what a great goal to have to take a French exam in May! I wish you the best of luck!!! I plan to
follow your progress, and I look forward to being on Team Triomphe with you!

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 16 of 163
09 January 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Oh the ups and downs of learning a new language!!!!

This week, I went to a small French "meet-up" at my library. There were only three of us: me, and two
native speakers: one from Belgium and one from Senegal. I was so proud because I understood a great deal
of the native speakers, even though the Senegalese was talking very, very fast and he had a slightly different
accent that I had not listened to before... Yes, I missed some detail! but overall I was pleased with myself!   The next morning, I go to do my next Assimil lesson, and you would have thought I had landed on Mars, as it
felt I didn't understand a word (as I slap myself on the head!). It's been a while since that happened. :).

Yesterday, I had a Skype session with a new partner from France. I hadn't prepared much ahead of time
since this was an introductory session. I did all right talking about myself and asking him about his interests,
etc, but when we veered off and started talking about US vs French taxes (in French), I stumbled all over
myself. I got good feedback about my French, but also some excellent thoughts about how to make my
pronunciation better.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version