AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5282 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 161 of 163
07 July 2015 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Hi again Mohave,

Your plan with Spanish seems fine and well justified to me Mohave. I can understand your drive to want to
learn it. I'm simply giving my input from my personal experience which clearly doesn't always (likely rarely)
applies to other peoples' situations, and I totally understand. In my experience I think sticking to one language
for a long(er) time pays off. You have and will have done an excellent job sticking to your French as long as
you have/will have when you pick up Spanish. I know you'll continue with both, I'm just thinking from an
overall time perspective as well as focus. I'm personally holding off as long as I can as I know it's helping
immensely compared to when I juggled too much at once and advanced at a (really slow) snail's pace. I'm
sure you'll still advance very nicely in French when you pick up Spanish.

As for concerns regarding language confusion when you start Spanish.... I think if you/one looks at French as
Category 1/ box 1/ Language one.. or simply "French" and Spanish as "Spanish" it helps. That sounds
rediculous I know, but I guess if you can have a clearly defined "French mode" and "Spanish mode" it can
work well. I believe if your accent is as close to authentically French as possible and authentically Spanish for
Spanish then the risk of mixing things up is diminished as you are less likely to see a Spanish word and try to
pronounce it in a French way (as opposed to having an Americanised sound to every language you learn
thereby blurring the edges on the way the two languages sound). You'll be fine! Just ensure you have enough
time in the day ;) if not, you could consider applying for an application on a 30 hour day. That would give you
another 6 hours a day but can you afford it? (time machine rental is not cheap nowadays- every man and his
dog wants to do it but rarely does anyone dare to go ahead with such a hefty financial move).

One chicken-whatsit in a flat-based cone thanks,
PM
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4815 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 162 of 163
07 July 2015 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Mohave!
Congrats to the huge SC progress! That is totally admirable and it is no surprise you're making such a progress in your French.

I don't think Spanish is a bad idea at all. You obviously have good use for it and some free time to devote to it, so why not? I don't think you should have much of a trouble. When I started Spanish, my French was most probably much worse than yours. And they are both going fine, the only problem being the amount of free time. And laziness, ok.

PeterMollenburg wrote:
if not, you could consider applying for an application on a 30 hour day. That would give you another 6 hours a day but can you afford it? (time machine rental is not cheap nowadays- every man and his dog wants to do it but rarely does anyone dare to go ahead with such a hefty financial move).

Yeah, I've recently applied for a Time-Turner and I was refused. Things got complicated after the loss of so many in the battle in the Department of Mysteries.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 163 of 163
24 July 2015 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa and PM - Thanks so much for sharing your kind words thoughts on timing of when I start Spanish. I
haven't finalized my decision yet, but will consider both of your comments. Definitely you both gave me food
for though!
-------------------
Time for another update! French has become a part of my daily routine. My consumption has been a little
lower the last few days because I've had family visiting, but will hopefully pick up again.

Super Challenge Update
Reading Goal EOM: 150 books Current: 135 books. -- sigh......
Watching Goal EOM: 150 movies; Current 142 movies

- Thanks to PM for recommending Le Retour of Martin
Guerre
- probably in the top 5 French movies that I have seen. I greatly enjoyed this movie, and the
French was relatively straight forward to understand.   I will watch it again,and I plan to purchase and read
the book in French.

- Thanks to emk for recommending
http://www.tv-replay.fr Using my VPN, it took about 2 minutes to set-up
and now I always have French TV series that match my preferred genres to watch at my convenience! I have
watched four episodes of Profilage and one of Boulevard du Palais. I have enjoyed them
enough to purchase the earlier series on my next Amazon.fr order.

- Many thanks to AlexTG for recommending
ench&service=MoviesByGenre">www.sbs.com.au. Again, with my VPN, I always have a ready selection
of French movies

- VPN. Last year, I found a special for a 3-year subscription to VPN Unlimited for $19. At the time, I
purchased it to have more security over unsecure wifi while traveling abroad. One of the things that I have
come to enjoy is VPN has servers in a variety of countries (including France) to get around get-blocked
access. This has quickly become one of my most useful language learning tools!

- I completed reading both Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources by Pagnol This definitely is one of
my favorite French reads so far. I plan to watch the movies as well. I started Marc Levy's Le Premier
Jour
but honestly, it hasn't grabbed my attention after 35 pages so I may start Dumas' Le Compte de
Monte-Cristo.

- I've completed another 4 language Exchanges, completed Pimsleur IV, started Pimsleur V, and started FSI
Phonology - completing the first three lessons. As my listening skills have improved, I find I am hating my
pronounciation of late. Has others experienced this?

- I need to get re-focused on my grammar books. I think that will also help me clean up my speech.

Lastly, I plan to hang-out and post at the temporary site until a decision is made on the way forward of
HTLAL. Here is a link to my log there:
NTRHTLAL

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version