Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5197 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 25 of 163
22 January 2014 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Where someone would be offended for using "tu" would be if you are addressing a service
employee (or the other way around) and usually teacher-student relations use "vous"
unless specified otherwise (like the "cool" prof that asks to be addressed by his/her
first name). The tutor I just met up with at the Alliance Française used "vous" with me
during the whole session.

It seems most dicey in office places and there they may state the office preference up
front (at my internship at the French Consulate everyone used "tu" and told new interns
at their orientations to do so but it felt odd to me). As an au pair in a family in
Neuilly-sur-Seine, the mother of the family and I always used "vous" (I was told
by someone else that it wasn't so much to create distance but to show proper respect to
"the staff"). I used "tu" with the kids but au pairs in other families had other
experiences.

There's a scene in "Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis" where the new post office director
arrives and is greeted and led to his quarters by one of the employees (Dany Boon).
While saying goodnight the employee, who has been treating him like a long lost buddy,
uses "tu" and the director replies with "vous" in a clear attempt to insist on guarding
his distance and the employee is visibly shaken.

For men trying to pick up women it seems like most will use "tu" but the odd one here
or there will use "vous" (though it's often not the issue of "tutoiement" vs
"vouvoiement" that can make someone offended in those interactions).

And finally, yes between peers in a non-professional setting and online, "tu" is
usually the preferred form. Though as a learner, you're more than welcome to ask up
front (some French teachers/tutors prefer to have their students practice with "vous"
to avoid inappropriate "tutoiement"). I've also found it pretty interesting that one
generally uses "Tu" to address God.

Mohave wrote:
Vous vs Tu

I had an interesting exchange with a language partner from France last week on the
usage of "vous" vs "tu".
To set the stage, this was the second language exchange on Skype I had had with this
particular gentleman.   
He is also very focused on his language goals. We are both in our late 40s and get on
well. We start off the
language exchange in French, and in the first five minutes, he very directly asked me
why I was using "vous"
with him instead of "tu".   I explained that I had met him once previously, and that I
understood the "vous"
form was correct in this instance and indicated I was showing respect, being polite,
etc.   He told me that, in
this case (language exchange) I was incorrect, that I was creating "distance" by using
"vous", and to use "tu".
I was frankly quite surprised by this exchange as I always thought I would be called on
the carpet for using
"tu" inappropriately, and not "vous"!!!! I did speak to my québécoise language partner
that I have been
working with since October the next day about this. She was a little surprised someone
would ask why I was
using "vous" at a second meeting, and just didn't handle this by using "on peut se
tutoyer?"

Any other experiences with "vous" vs "tu" at the wrong time? Do you use "vous" or "tu"
with your language
exchange partners?

Edited by sctroyenne on 22 January 2014 at 2:05am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jhaberstro
United States
Joined 4199 days ago

112 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 26 of 163
22 January 2014 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
I've also found it pretty interesting that one

It's the same in English though. In the Bible, God is referred to as thou and thee which, although contemporary ears
often misinterpret these as being formal, are actually English's old equivalents of French's tu and toi.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5197 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 27 of 163
22 January 2014 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
jhaberstro wrote:
sctroyenne wrote:
I've also found it pretty interesting that one

It's the same in English though. In the Bible, God is referred to as thou and thee which, although contemporary ears
often misinterpret these as being formal, are actually English's old equivalents of French's tu and toi.

Which I just thought of after posting - I remember being pretty surprised when I learned that thou and thee were actually English's defunct informal forms of you. It's quite a tangent but it'd be interesting to know why the informal forms were/are used.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4096 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 28 of 163
22 January 2014 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
It might sound odd, but the informal pronouns are used for the highest registers quite
often, especially in the Bible, both in older English and the Romance languages. In
Spanish, God is addressed with «tú», and anything addressed to a group of people is
«vosotros», same with Portuguese using «tu» and «vós» in the exact same manner. I
suppose that the familiar forms served two purposes, to be used in informal situations,
as well as addressing religious figures, which is rather counterintuitive. If I
remember correctly, the formal form of "þou" in English was "you", and the plural being
"ye".

So, in French, one would address the boss at work as «vous», but if one goes to a
church, the Lord's Prayer or the Hail Mary both use «tu» for God and the Virgin Mary.
Addressing two or more religious figures would be no problem in French, since «vous»
covers both formal and informal. In Spanish and Portuguese, addressing religious
figures would use «vosotros» and «vós», respectively.

Notre Père

It shows that also in Latin, the familiar form is used:

Notre Père, qui es aux Cieux,
Que ton nom soit sanctifié...

Pater noster, qui es in caelis,
Sanctificetur nomen tuum...

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 January 2014 at 9:04am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4164 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 29 of 163
22 January 2014 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Mohave, would you be interested in some creole? I know that french is bad enough to have to learn, however if you are interested, FSI has a course.

There are several creole languages, but it seems they are very close in that part of the world.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5282 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 30 of 163
22 January 2014 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
my thinking when it comes to the Bible and familiar forms is that all languages where the option is available
between a formal or familiar form are all highly likely to be the same form (familiar, as pointed out already)
across the various languages due to the fact that pretty much all Bible versions are translations from one
original version in one language. Dare I suggest it was originally Latin and the familiar form was used in the
above mentioned contexts? Therefore all translations are likely to remain the same imo. I know very little
about the Bible, just seems this pattern across various languages would stem from one source

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 31 of 163
23 January 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
What an interesting discussion! Thanks sctroyenne for the GREAT explanation , and jhaberstro,
PeterMollenburg, 1e4e6 for the additional info on this topic!

@renaisancemedi - I would learn to learn creole!!!   In fact, Papiemento is on my to-do-list, as is Spanish. I
have wanderlust so bad!!! I am afraid if I start learning other languages now, I won't learn French to a
sufficient level!!! So I have given myself until this fall before I add in another language..... ;)

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 32 of 163
05 February 2014 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Here is a quick January update

French Without Toil
- Passive: completed thru lesson 115; Active: completed thru lesson 59

French in Action
- Completed through Lesson 21

Language exchanges
- completed 13 Skype sessions with 30 minutes in French
- several email exchanges each week with language exchange partners and emails for business/travel
arrangements

Movies/series
- Finished Engrenages season 4 (English subtitles)
- l'Amour (English subtitles)
- Les Parent (two episodes with French subtitles)
- Le Placard (English subtitles)

Restarted Pimsleur I - thru lesson 6

Podcasts
I listened to hours and hours of podcasts/live radio using TuneIn Radio App, but I didn't keep track of the
content or hours. I will try to capture this next month. Content wise: I listen to RFI Français en Facile, One
Thing in a French Day, C'est La Vie Word of the Week, Français Authentique, and Le Téléphone Sonne, and
for live radio, Montréal 98.5, and FranceInter.

February Goals
1) French Without Toil - complete the passive wave of FWT and daily active wave lessons. I have enjoyed
FWT, but I am excited that the end (for the passive wave) is in sight!
2) Complete 8 Skype sessions (this will be a stretch for me to do with my and my language partners'
schedules).
3) Complete Pimsleur I through lesson 21
4) Watch 8 hrs of Film or TV series in French
5) Determine the next lesson material after FWT passive wave. I am considering Assimil Using French,
Living Language Beyond the Basics, or FSI Phonetics.   Would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or
suggestions.
6) Track study hours

Edited by Mohave on 05 February 2014 at 11:20am

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version