Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5374 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 33 of 63
18 December 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
How can Metallica be a more relevant reference point than John Donne?
3 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 34 of 63
18 December 2013 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
I am in my mid-twenties, and I use "whom" due to my drilling in primary school, so I
think that it depends on if this concept was emphasised in one's formative education.
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 35 of 63
19 December 2013 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:

I think Metallica are far more culturally significant than John Donne, who(m) I've never heard of.

Seriously though, some of the in-depth grammatical analysis on this thread has got me baffled. I am
completely unable to apply complex labels to my own language. I never learned to do this, I guess I was too
busy speaking English.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 36 of 63
19 December 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:

Because I've listened to Metallica tons but never heard of John Donne.

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3806 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 37 of 63
19 December 2013 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
tbreit wrote:
I am from the midwest. I also use whom. I do think it might be an age thing. Dude and brah is probably younger than I.

I'm in my 20s if that helps. Although I sometimes hear guys in their early 40s say "dude." I just say "brah" sometimes to poke fun at a friend. :)

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4875 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 38 of 63
19 December 2013 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Elexi wrote:

I think Metallica are far more culturally significant than John Donne, who(m) I've never heard of.

Seriously though, some of the in-depth grammatical analysis on this thread has got me baffled. I am
completely unable to apply complex labels to my own language. I never learned to do this, I guess I was too
busy speaking English.

Agreed. And I use whom when I feel like it, more often than not in writing. In speech, virtually never.

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5189 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 39 of 63
19 December 2013 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
American here - West Coast. Whom is not common, but not extinct either. The younger set (brah, I'm talking to you, dude) may not use it at all by the sounds of it. I see it more in written form; probably almost exclusively if I really think about it. It tends to sound overly formal, or worse, that one is trying to sound overly formal, so I try to avoid it myself.

What I find amusing is when people overuse whom in attempt to sound really, really smart and just substitute it for who as if it were just a more formal version of the same word.

I have never heard of Metallica's song, and I have always attributed the saying to Hemingway's book. I've heard of John Donne but I never knew he wrote the line originally. I learn something new every time I am on this forum!

3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5037 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 40 of 63
19 December 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
DaisyMaisy wrote:
What I find amusing is when people overuse whom in attempt to sound really, really smart and just substitute it for who as if it were just a more formal version of the same word.

Hypercorrection is one of the funniest linguistic phenomena, to be sure. Coo duh grah and octopi indeed.

I'm from New Jersey originally, for the record. My usage of "whom" went from non-existent to occasional as I started to learn foreign languages (and to appreciate grammar). I do use it speaking now, and in a natural fashion, most often when trying to add stress to an inquiry.

Interestingly, the primary reason is probably interference with Latin. The Latin accusative of the interrogative pronoun is quem and quam, which is remarkably similar to the proper English dative (the parent of whom), although the two are historically separate.

Look at the PIE version of the interrogative pronoun.

Accusative: *kʷim
Dative: *kʷesmey

Note the common m.

Edited by ScottScheule on 19 December 2013 at 9:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version