Assimil x4 for Film Studies - TAC’14

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
99 messages over 13 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 12 13 Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 73 of 99
24 March 2014 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Well, at least with Subs2SRS I know I'll learn the colorful vocabulary left out of language textbooks.

"Alors face aux salopards, je pisse..."
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 74 of 99
25 March 2014 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS, I start to suspect having audio in a transparent language and subtitles in the
target language may be actually better for vocabulary acquisition. This is exactly what
I'm doing with Georgian and the TED videos. It seems to me that with audio in English my
understanding is almost instantaneous, and so I can decode the Georgian texts more
easily. If it were the other way round, I'd hear language I wouldn't understand clearly
and would have to read the text in English in order to get the meaning then rework
mentally on what I've just heard in order to use it for improving my listening
comprehension in the target language.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 75 of 99
25 March 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
That's been my suspicion as well lately, so I've been shadowing my German and French Assimil courses in the Russian base language and it seems to be helping with my reading comprehension. When I'm done with Assimil I think I might try doing some R-L for Russian literature, Russian book w/ transparent audio and see how much vocabulary I can pick up.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 76 of 99
26 March 2014 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Deciding to include both Assimil Le nouveau Russe sans peine and Russian without Toil in my study routine eventually. I originally ignored both of them because of their audio problems, too much static to hear properly in Russian without Toil, and awkward slow pronunciation in Le nouveau Russe sans peine. However the audio Russian without Toil seems to get a lot better for the last 40 lessons and Le nouveau Russe sans peine stops overemphasizing every syllable and speeds up a bit, later into the course as well.

I think the slow speed of Le nouveau Russe sans peine will actually make it easier to acquire vocabulary, because it's often possible to read the translation and then glance over to the russian text while shadowing.

Russian without toil seems roughly comparable to the 1970s Le Russe sans peine, but the difficulty spikes up in the second half and almost all the lessons are excerpts from native material. So I'll probably work on shadowing it here and there, but overall I think it would be most useful after I finish working through Le Russe sans peine.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 77 of 99
27 March 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
So I'm realizing that the German based Hungarian course seems to have more notes than the French base. The English one just seems to have been translated from the french.

I haven't checked it in detail, but I it was especially noticeable in the lesson from hell, lesson 19. Which since I keep referencing it, I should perhaps take a moment to elaborate on why this is such difficult lesson. It involves a family moving furniture and objects around a new apartment, which involves a lot of pre-positions and suffixes. Now it seems like a great way for familiarizing an indo-european speaker with these concepts, but there's also a lot of new vocabulary, and very little of it gets repeated, so you're left to decipher all the declensions with completely new words and an unfamiliar word order. It's not bad if you're comfortable with all the grammar points up to then, but it takes forever to decipher each sentence if you don't.

The French and English edition provide a measly 3 notes to decipher the whole dialog. Where as the German base provides this lovely, life saving, additional note.

feltesz - darauflegen
felvesz - anziehen, aufheben
felhoz - hochbringen
felvisz - hinauftragen

letesz - abstellen
levesz - abnehmen
lehoz - hinunterbringen
levisz - hinuntertragen

kitesz - ausstellen
kihoz - herausholen
kivisz - hinausbringen

betesz - hineinstellen, hineinlegen
bevesz - einnehmen, hereinnehmen
behoz - hineinbringen
bevisz - hineintragen

Edited by YnEoS on 27 March 2014 at 8:33pm

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 78 of 99
29 March 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
So this week I've been plunging almost all my study time into Russian to the neglect of my other languages. Trying to make sure I have a comfortable transition into intermediate materials, so I want to be sure I've well absorbed most the content of my Assimil courses. After a few weeks of more focused Russian study I'm hoping to revert back to more balanced routine using more L2->L3 again so my languages can support each other.

Team Start

French

Intensive Study: French For Reading Chapter 10 lesson 65

Subs2SRS Films
*Le Grand Jeu (Jacques Feyder, 1934)

Thoughts & Extensive Studies: Very little additional study with French this week, but as always since most of my Assimil courses are French based, it remains in constant use.

German

Intensive Study: German For Reading Chapter 5 Lesson 20

Subs2SRS Films
*Der Kongreß Tanzt (Erik Charell, 1931)

Thoughts & Extensive Studies: Only extensive German practice this week, was shadowing the Russian based 2nd generation Assimil to practice reading Russian. Planning to give German more attention soon though.

Team Катюша

Russian

Intensive Study: Assimil Le Russe Lesson 77, Le Russe sans Peine Lesson 88, Perfectionnement Russe Lesson 7

Subs2SRS Films:
*Строгий юноша (Абрам Роом, 1934)

Thought & Extensive Studies: Spent most of my time this week shadowing old lessons of Assimil Le Russe and Le Russe sans Peine to fill in any gaps of forgotten vocabulary and to better internalize all the material I've covered so far. Also shadowed Le Nouveau Russe Sans Peine to pick up a bit of extra vocab and reinforce semi-learned words by seeing them in a new context. I began Perfectionnement Russe which seems like a really outstanding course so far and came out at a really great time for my Russian studies.

Team *jäŋe / *ledús

Hungarian

Intensive Study: Ungarisch Ohne Mühe Lesson 21

Subs2SRS:
*János Vitéz (Marcell Jankovics, 1973)

Thought & Extensive Studies: Did a bit of shadowing of Assimil Hungarian this week but most maintaining and reviewing rather than learning new material.

Experiments and Wanderlust

Romanian

Intensive Study: -On Hold-

Subs2SRS:
*La 'Moara cu noroc' (Victor Iliu, 1955)

Thought & Extensive Studies: Wasn't putting enough time into Romanaian to see much benefit, so I decided to put my studies on hold for a few weeks til I'm finished focusing on Russian.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 79 of 99
02 April 2014 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
Duolingo French for German speakers entered beta!!!! I probably won't have much time for it until I've trimmed down my Russian routine though. I'm hoping after finishing completing duolingo I'll have the confidence to start writing portions of my posts in German and French. Hopefully by the time I complete it there will be a Russian for French speakers course or something like that to do next.

I feel like I'm learning a lot about how I can most quickly learn the content of an Assimil course. I'm starting to realize that Assimil courses are so random in their topics and vocab, that once you learn the basic most commonly appearing words, there can often be very little synergy between them and I think it makes more sense to focus on only one or two before moving onto another, though it certainly doesn't hurt to occasionally shadow a different course every now and just to see what synergies do pop up.

This has led me to stream line my routine a bit and now I'm practicing all my languages again. Mostly focusing on my 3 main Russian courses Le Russe Sans Peine, Le Russe, and Perfectionnement Russe and the 1 Assimil Hungarian course. The Russian courses are in French base, and I'm starting to do more shadowing of the Hungarian course in the German base to boost my reading skills. I also occasionally review German with Ease or New French With Ease in the Russian or Hungarian base to reverse the speaking/reading practice.

I'll complete the additional Russian courses later, probably in conjunction with more native material study and intermediate textbooks. Speaking of which, after months of keeping an eye on abe books I finally managed to snag a cheap copy of Russisch ohne Mühe. It's listed as the 1950s version, so hopefully I can practice my German while using that course.

Also I'm realizing about L2->L3 shadowing is fairly difficult for me to do when the content is unfamiliar. I tried one of the intermediate Assimil German courses which are only available in the French base and found it tough to follow, so I'll probably have to work through those with some more intensive study before shadowing. But L2->L3 is actually more efficient for me to study once material becomes familiar than L1->L2. When shadowing with the English translation available sometimes my brain skips over words or stops paying attention. With L2->L3 I actually focus better and pick up vocabulary in both languages. I think because I read English more quickly my brain sometimes doesn't focus as heavily on the audio, especially if I've listened to a lot.

So for now I'm finding that the best way to work for an Assimil course is to shadow looking at the English translation until I can get the gist of the lesson from hearing only the audio, then to switch to another language base to focus on the specifics and learn every word in the sentence. If the course isn't available in English then I have work through it intensively first and make sure I understand everything before shadowing has much benefit.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 80 of 99
02 April 2014 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Awesome log. Thanks for sharing your progress, thoughts, experiments and results. Very transparent and very helpful.

I liked that you were including your "courses completed". It wsa clear in what you wrote what that meant. Still, that sort of logging is helpful in seeing the path you've taken.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version