Assimil x4 for Film Studies - TAC’14

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
99 messages over 13 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 12 13 Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 41 of 99
08 February 2014 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, so far I think it's just frustration with my methods and not an overall demotivation with my routine. I
think it's part of my natural ebb and flow with studying and usually means there's some skill that I've
underdeveloped which is beginning to hold me back in other areas. With Hungarian, so far I've thought that
I'd just naturally get a feel for word construction over time, but now it seems like a little bit more concsious
study might be more productive.

I went through a similar phase with my Russian studies recently and now I've hit a lot of great synergies
between my methods and I feel I'm making much better progress. So for the time being I'll just persist and
see if my problems intensify or subside.
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 42 of 99
12 February 2014 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
So noticing an interesting side-effect of doing Sub2SRS. Generally it's been pretty effective at getting certain sentences stuck in my head. But its effects are horrifically multiplied when you have a comic side character who says a certain phrase over and over again throughout a film.

In my current Russian deck there's a character who ends almost every line with "Неужели ты не понимаешь?" - "You really don't understand?" And I think this sentence has been burned into my brain for all of eternity.

Edited by YnEoS on 12 February 2014 at 10:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 43 of 99
13 February 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Playing around with some different learning ideas, and needed a fresh romance language to test out and Italian seems like the perfect fit. I've added the old Assimil Italienisch Ohne Mühe course to my routine, which at least I can say doubles as some much needed extra German usage. Like with Romanian, I'm not committing a whole lot of time to the course, nor do I have any expectations about how much I'll be able to pick up from brief daily study.

I haven't really had a strong drive to start learning Italian, but it's easily one of the most important languages in film studies and its hard for any cinephile not to have a ton of favorite Italian films. Italy was one of the first countries to produce feature films and they produced them on a much larger scale than most others. Italy produced some of the best films ever made after WWII on into the 1960s. And also being a fan of genre films I quite enjoy the Italian horror films and westerns made in the 60s-80s. Some of my favorite Italian films are...

L’Inferno (Francesco Bertolini, 1911)
Cabiria (Giovanni Pastrone, 1914)
Il Fuoco (Giovanni Pastrone, 1916)
Rapsodia Satanica (Nino Oxilia, 1917)
Resurrectio (Alessandro Blasetti, 1931)
La Signora Di Tutti (Max Ophüls, 1934)
Sciuscià [Ragazzi] (Vittorio De Sica, 1946)
Germania, anno zero (Roberto Rossellini, 1948)
Umberto D (Vittorio De Sica, 1952)
La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
Le notti di Cabiria (Federico Fellini, 1956)
La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
Accattone (Pier Paolo Pasolini,1961)
Mamma Roma (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1962)
Il deserto rosso (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1964)
Terrore nello spazio (Mario Bava, 1965)
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)
La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)
Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)
Il Conformista (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970)
L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (Dario Argento, 1970)
Keoma (Enzo G. Castellari, 1976)
...E tu vivrai nel terrore! L'aldilà (Lucio Fulci, 1981)

Edited by YnEoS on 13 February 2014 at 10:37pm

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 44 of 99
16 February 2014 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
Pretty solid week overall, as expected I didn't have much time to do my supplemental drill and reading based courses, but I didn't notice that being too big a detriment to my studies. Maintained my Assimil routine, and hit the rather arbitrary milestone of filling up my first L2->L3 scriptorium notebook, which means ~160 pages of scriptorium so far across the board.

Not sure if I'll be incorporating my supplemental courses back into my routine during the next two weeks or not. Here's the progress breakdown by language.

Team Start

French

Completed: Pimsleur Plus, Advanced Michel Thomas & Foundations, FSI Basic Course I, French In Action (1 Pass), Assimil French Without Toil

Current Tools: Assimil Using French Lesson 46, Franciául Könnyűszerrel Lesson 45 (2nd Wave), Französisch Ohne Mühe Lesson 13, French For Reading Chapter 12 lesson 80

Subs2SRS Films
*Le Grand Jeu (Jacques Feyder, 1934)

Thoughts: Still using french a lot more as a language base than in direct study. Having French as my L2 in L2->L3 has helped a lot with noticing false cognates. Sometimes I'll read a French sentence, think I know exactly what it means, them read the L3 and realize that I completely misunderstood the meaning.

German

Completed: 5 years of public school German

Current Tools: Assimil Les Nouvel Allemand Lesson 94, L'Allemand Sans Peine Lesson 45 (2nd Wave), Немецкий без труда сегодня Lesson 45 (2nd Wave), German For Reading Chapter 3 Lesson 13

Subs2SRS Films
*Der Kongreß Tanzt (Erik Charell, 1931)

Thoughts: Not a lot of news in German, as I've discussed previously I'm attempting to find more ways of incorporating it into study as L2 in L2->L3 so it can see the same sort of benefits my French has. I've begun doing this, but it's still too early to discuss results.

Team Катюша

Russian

Completed: Pimsleur III, Michel Thomas Foundations, Madrigal's An Invitation to Russian

Current Tools: Assimil Russian Lesson 84, Le Russe Lesson 35 (2nd Wave), Le russe sans peine Lesson 46, Beginning Russian Volume 1 Lesson 3, Modern Russian Lesson 12

Subs2SRS Films:
*Строгий юноша (Абрам Роом, 1934)

Thoughts: Russian by far has had the best results this week. I think a really good sign is that most of my lessons seem to be getting a tad easier lately rather than more difficult with each lesson, which I credit to getting some great synergies between my courses. Got to the part of Le Russe Sans Peine with supplementary exercises and phrases. I've found these really helpful for getting used to grammar points and reviewing vocabulary, and to me these are the main reasons why 1st Generation Assimil courses are more effective than later ones. The grammar drills especially fill a void, which I usually have to fill with FSI when using the more modern Assimil courses.

Team *jäŋe / *ledús

Hungarian

Completed: Pimsleur I, FSI Basic Course I

Current Tools: Assimil Hungarian With Ease Lesson 77 (1st Wave), Hongrois Sans Peine Lesson 28 (2nd Wave), FSI Basic Course II Unit 13

Subs2SRS:
*János Vitéz (Marcell Jankovics, 1973)

Thoughts: I've mentioned earlier that my progress in Hungarian has been a bit slower than I'd like. Starting doing literal translations for my Subs2SRS has helped a bit in that area, and overall I'd say that I'm seeing more forward progress in my studies. I definitely think I may have to stick with basic courses for Hungarian a bit longer, but this doesn't worry me too much. Every step of the way Hungarian has taken me longer to learn than in my other languages, but persistence has thus far always paid off so I'll just stick with it until I know what I need to.

Experiments and Wanderlust

Romanian

Current Tools: Assimil Le Roumain Sans Peine Lesson 13

Thoughts: I absolutely love the sound of Romanian so far, and am really excited I've started dabbling in it. This is a bit of a new learning experience for me, as it's my first language where I'm starting with Assimil instead of Pimsleur, and also my first language where I'm learning completely L2->L3.

Assimil is actually a lot more fun starting from absolutely nothing. Of course being a romance language helps a lot, I think if it were something more distant it would be more distressing. For now I'm working with the course pretty casually and just seeing what sticks. If I keep with it, I definitely plan on doing a more intensive second wave after finishing up some of my other courses.

Italian

Current Tools: Assimil Italienisch Ohne Mühe Lesson 3

Thoughts: Too early to say anything particularly interesting.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 45 of 99
19 February 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
So every once in a while my Subs2SRS deck throws me some lines that are just as good as grammar drills.

Хочется подпрыгнуть - подпрыгни.
You want to jump - jump!

Хочется опрокинуть стакан - опрокинь.
You want to topple a glass - topple it!

Хочется сесть на ступеньку - садись.
You want to sit on a step - sit down!

Хочется встать - встань.
You want to stand up - stand up!

Also had a cool but rather trivial revelation thanks to studying Romanian through French. I guess because I'm so familiar with the English word journal, I never noticed that the root word was jour - day. Then it suddenly jumped out at me as soon as I saw the Romanian variants zi and ziarul.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 46 of 99
21 February 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Small landmark today, finished Assimil Le Nouvel Allemand Sans Peine, the 2nd Generation German course
from a french base. This is my 2nd Assimil course I've ever completed, and the first Assimil course I've went
through without using the English base at all. Not a huge accomplishment because of the 5 years of public
school German I already know, but it was a pleasant course to work through, and it was nice to see how often
I learned a French word from a German one and vice versa.

Wish I had done more French-German studies earlier on. I had started doing a little way back, then I
dropped German for a while and focused heavily on French. Not the most efficient route, but I got there
eventually.

Halfway through doing the same course in a second wave Russian-->German as well, which has also been
really helpful, I learn more Russian than German from it, but there's plenty of German words that haven't
stuck with me completely, so it's nice to review them.

Planning on adding some Assimil course reviews to the first post eventually, not sure if I should do so after I
finish my first wave or wait til I finish all subsequent waves and really know the courses inside and out.

Edited by YnEoS on 23 February 2014 at 5:28pm

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 47 of 99
24 February 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Did a bit of re-thinking and re-working my study routine today. As I start finishing up some of my Assimil courses, I'm planning on adding in some new ones, but overall I'm trying to reduce the amount of time I spend on courses to allow more time for work with native materials as I bring my languages up to the intermediate level. Also trying to reflect a bit on how useful various courses have been, to try and make sure I'm being efficient with my time.

Firstly I finished my first wave through Assimil Hungarian with Ease today, though it's been a fairly difficult course so I'm still a ways off from absorbing all the content. The course has enough interesting native material in it, that it might be worth doing 3 waves for.

I've also decided to cut Assimil Franciául Könnyűszerrel (French from Hungarian base) from my routine. I think Assimil L2->L2 works best when there's a lot of cross talk between the languages. But my French is a lot higher from my Hungarian, so I wasn't really learning any new French from it, and while I was picking up some Hungarian, it felt like it wasn't a very efficient way of doing so. I think my time would be better spent either doing some extra reading in French, or doing Hungarian FSI.

Tomorrow I'm starting the next phase of my experiment with Italian and beginning Assimil Итальянский or 3rd Gen Italian from a Russian base. I feel like I've got a pretty strong grounding in Russian and the 3rd gen Assimil courses start out pretty slowly. I think there will be quite a bit of cross talk between the two languages, and I hope that the higher transparency of Italian will be helpful for increasing my Russian vocabulary. Excited to see how it turns out.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 48 of 99
02 March 2014 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Assimil progresses so gradually, that sometimes I don't always notice how each lesson in a course takes more and more time in my routine. And I've been noticing that despite finishing up a few minor courses here and there, my routine has been taking up more and more time as I'm getting to the second half of many of my major courses.

I've realized that the next 40-ish days will probably be the most Assimil-intensive ones I'll probably ever put myself through. I've really enjoyed my Assimil experiment so far and of course it will be a long while before it's 100% over. But I have to say I'm really eager to get out of such a course-book intensive routine and start throwing in more native materials, choice and variation.

So looks like I'll only have to do 3 more big journal entries of mostly lesson number updates, and after that I'll get start discussing more of the stuff that I'm learning languages for, books, music, and films.

Anyways here's the breakdown.

Team Start

French

Completed: Pimsleur Plus, Advanced Michel Thomas & Foundations, FSI Basic Course I, French In Action (1 Pass), Assimil French Without Toil

Current Tools: Assimil Using French Lesson 60, Französisch Ohne Mühe Lesson 27, French For Reading Chapter 12 lesson 83

Subs2SRS Films
*Le Grand Jeu (Jacques Feyder, 1934)

Thoughts: Noticing diminishing returns on my French based studies, it was really helpful for the beginning, but definitely need more native materials at this point. I've been reading bits of french comics here and there when I have some extra time, but so far nothing too substantial. I'm going to try and commit myself to doing 1 lesson of French for Reading every day again, as it's been incredibly helpful so far.

German

Completed: 5 years of public school German, Assimil Les Nouvel Allemand

Current Tools: L'Allemand Sans Peine Lesson 59, Немецкий без труда сегодня Lesson 59 (2nd Wave), German For Reading Chapter 3 Lesson 14

Subs2SRS Films
*Der Kongreß Tanzt (Erik Charell, 1931)

Thoughts: German's not feeling quite so neglected anymore, hopefully soon I'll start noticing the same benefits to my German that I got out of my French when it suddenly became a base for a huge number of my courses.

Team Катюша

Russian

Completed: Pimsleur III, Michel Thomas Foundations, Madrigal's An Invitation to Russian

Current Tools: Assimil Russian Lesson 98, Le Russe Lesson 49 (2nd Wave), Le russe sans peine Lesson 60, Beginning Russian Volume 1 Lesson 3, Modern Russian Lesson 13

Subs2SRS Films:
*Строгий юноша (Абрам Роом, 1934)

Thoughts: The last few days I really feel surrounded by Russian as it now makes up the majority of my intensive study time. The Le russe sans peine lessons are getting immense and take up a lot of my time, they're incredibly helpful and fun, but I'll be glad to see that huge block of time freed up. Starting Italian from the Russian base has been incredible so far, and probably my most productive L2->L3 course. Previously the Russian grammar explanations had been pretty impenetrable for me most of the time, but recently I've caught a few grammar terms from context, so hopefully I'll start getting more out of them.

Team *jäŋe / *ledús

Hungarian

Completed: Pimsleur I, FSI Basic Course I, Assimil Hungarian

Current Tools: Assimil Hongrois Sans Peine Lesson 42 (2nd Wave), FSI Basic Course II Unit 15

Subs2SRS:
*János Vitéz (Marcell Jankovics, 1973)

Thoughts: Since I trimmed down my Hungarian exposure in Assimil, I've been making extra efforts to get back to finishing FSI when I've got the time for it. Haven't been able to do it consistently, but its definitely incredibly helpful when I can get to it. I was hoping I'd finish up with Hungarian beginner courses around the same time as Russian, but it looks like it may be a little while longer.

Experiments and Wanderlust

Romanian

Current Tools: Assimil Le Roumain Sans Peine Lesson 27

Thoughts: Still the nicest sounding language I'm currently studying. Don't really have a grasp on the structure of the language yet, but the transparency keeps the studying productive, and I've had a few Romanian phrases pop out in dreams so it's definitely swimming around somewhere in my brain somewhere.

Italian

Current Tools: Assimil Italienisch Ohne Mühe Lesson 17, Итальянский Lesson 6

Thoughts: I can't really say that Italian has been caught in my head the same way as Romanian, but I actually think I understand a little bit more of it because of the more comprehensive exercises in the 1st generation Assimil course. Starting scriptorium for the 3rd generation course has also really cemented some things down for me. So far it looks promising, and I'm really excited with the results of this little experiment so far. Looking forward to seeing if the progress continues over the next 2 weeks.

Edited by YnEoS on 02 March 2014 at 5:21am

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version