Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 41 of 63
26 December 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
Jewish and Italian Americans seem to also have fairly distinctive
accents. At least that's what I, a foreigner, think I hear in movies.

I think there should be a whole subset of "Hollywood Accents" that you hear in the movies
that you never hear in real life.
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 42 of 63
26 December 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
AlexTG wrote:
Jewish and Italian Americans seem to also have fairly distinctive
accents. At least that's what I, a foreigner, think I hear in movies.

I think there should be a whole subset of "Hollywood Accents" that you hear in the movies
that you never hear in real life.

Speaking of "Hollywood Accents" it may be good for English learners to be aware of the Mid-Atlantic/Transatlantic Accent that you'll hear in older American movies and speeches, which was used by the upper classes and stage/film actors until it fell out of use (though you'll hear it if you watch the show Frasier).
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5014 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 43 of 63
26 December 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
Speaking of "Hollywood Accents" it may be good for English learners to be aware of the Mid-Atlantic/Transatlantic Accent[...]

Wikipedia wrote:
Acquisition

Mid-Atlantic English was usually learned in one of three ways:
[...]
* For non-native Anglophones, by learning English from varyingly British and American sources.

Priceless :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 44 of 63
28 December 2013 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Very interesting thread with some excellent posts. One thought I had when reading about immigrant communities in Europe and the persistence of accents: the Black community isn't a relatively recent immigrant community but has been in America for as long as the European settlers have been (speaking in broad terms of course). The social and cultural distinctions were set from the beginning and enforced ruthlessly in most cases. So different dialects have endured, in many ways a part of a person's identity as some posters have mentioned.

amyhere
Diglot
Australia
Joined 3998 days ago

10 posts - 14 votes
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Finnish

Message 45 of 63
29 December 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
I find this really interesting as an Australian, as here the only major non-Standard Australian English accent is
the Australian Aboriginal accent (I'm not aware of the proper name for this, sorry!) which happens to also be
used by the only group that has had a large presence here since racial segregation times apart from white
Australians, which is because of policies around immigration which I won't go into here except that it made it
difficult for any non-white people to immigrate. So most Asian, Pacific and African immigrants are either first
or second generation immigrants. And the thing is, 90% of the time, second generation immigrants speak
exactly the same as any other Australians.

So what I'm basically saying is that I do agree with the findings here that official segregation policies in the
past contribute to accent now, but other than that, race doesn't.

Although I do find it interesting that America is still as racially segregated as has been said here, as I had
thought that this had just been over-exaggerated by Hollywood. Here, Asians don't have more Asian friends
than others etc.

jhaberstro
United States
Joined 4181 days ago

112 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 46 of 63
29 December 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
amyhere wrote:

Although I do find it interesting that America is still as racially segregated as has been said here, as I had
thought that this had just been over-exaggerated by Hollywood. Here, Asians don't have more Asian friends
than others etc.

An interesting phenomenon that I've anecdotally noticed is that, in several upper middle class American high
schools, Asian-american teenagers seem to socially segregate themselves. Much like the stereotypical social cliques
of "jocks", "cheerleads", "nerds", there is also one of "Asians". I'm very hesitant to say this is segregation, but there is
definitely an interesting cultural phenomenon going on here, as it does persist past high school into college (at
least, among some of my friends).

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4426 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 47 of 63
30 December 2013 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
This map shows just how segregated the US still is. Amazing.

Map of American Racial Segregation

Edited by AlexTG on 30 December 2013 at 5:09am

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3816 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, Galician
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 48 of 63
30 December 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
This map shows just how segregated the US still is. Amazing.

Map of American Racial Segregation

Interesting, but it lists Latino as race which is extremely ignorant, I don't know why,
but that misconception really irritates me. Not that I'm offended for being called non-
white. I just find it very stupid, because it contradicts facts that should be obvious
not to mention its a bit racist if you think about it, an European country colonizes a
dark skinned continent and the modern population is dark skinned, but with European
traces, what should be the obvious conclusion?

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version