United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4464 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 33 of 66
03 April 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
J'ai commencé ce matin une échange linguistuique avec un français et il m'a dit que j'ai un accent belge. C'est la première fois que ça m'est arrivé, haha. :-P
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4464 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 34 of 66
13 April 2014 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Latest example of language interference: yesterday in a French conversation I used "subissaient" when I should have said "augmentaient", because in Spanish "subir" can mean "to increase or augment."

Latest silly mistake having nothing to do with interference: also in French, I spoke of paying for a "croisade" ("crusade") in Paris when I ought to have said "croisière" ("boat tour"), hahaha. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5334 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 35 of 66
13 April 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I get enough interference between Korean and Spanish; I can't imagine how much I'd get
trying to learn related languages. One of the most odd bits of interference I get is trying to
put Spanish sentences into Korean word order. That one will mess with your head a good
bit...hehe

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4409 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 36 of 66
13 April 2014 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Me gustaría organizar un chat por Google+. ¿Os apetece?

Sí ¿cómo no?

lakeseayesno creó una comunidad en Google+ para hacer hangouts. La conoces?

HTLAL on Google
Plus

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4464 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 37 of 66
13 April 2014 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I get enough interference between Korean and Spanish; I can't imagine how much I'd get trying to learn related languages. One of the most odd bits of interference I get is trying to put Spanish sentences into Korean word order. That one will mess with your head a good bit...hehe

It's actually pretty rare and doesn't bug me that much. I waited until my French was reasonably strong before starting Spanish and seem to keep the languages separate pretty well.

Often mistakes are more amusing than anything. The other day I told someone that my "imprimeur" ("printer", as in a person who exercises the profession of printing) was too old when I should have said "imprimante" ("printer", as in printing machine) -- and that I had to search for a new one. So at first the person I was talking to thought that some poor guy was losing my business because of my prejudice against his age... :-P

Edited by tastyonions on 13 April 2014 at 3:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5006 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 38 of 66
14 April 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Funnily enough I've been told a few times that I have a Belgian accent in French. I've also been told Quebec, Swiss, Alps... I generally just take it as meaning my accent is decent but something's not quite right so it sounds like that of a French speaker with a "non-standard" accent. Most recently, someone thought I sounded Belgian because my As sometimes weren't open enough and sounded a bit like Os, which I suppose must be characteristic of the Belgian accent...

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4815 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 39 of 66
14 April 2014 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Wow! You're having actual conversations in French. Congratulations. :)
It must be wonderful to be able to speak French with native speakers.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4464 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 40 of 66
27 April 2014 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I've been in a serious time crunch. I still manage to speak for a while in Spanish and French most mornings, and this plus daily listening to radio shows in both languages during my commute has been my only practice recently. My Spanish could definitely use some more systematic study but I don't have the time at the moment.

I've been feeling drawn to German for some reason. I think it may be because I heard the "Ode To Joy" melody the other day (on a Spanish podcast, funnily enough), looked up the original text, and then tried to read it with my best (probably very bad) approximation of how I thought German sounded, hahaha. In a free half hour the other day I did a beginner lesson on the Deutsche Welle site. I'm now sorely tempted to get "German With Ease" from Assimil and add a lesson to my daily routine, which should become less packed in under a week. We'll see.

Edited by tastyonions on 27 April 2014 at 12:34am

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version