Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
42 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 42
03 January 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
(The 2013 log is at
http://how-
to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=35004
)

My Projects

My biggest challenge in 2014 is the organization of the
Polyglot Gathering, which will take place in
Berlin in June. At this point, I know what my priorities are until then but I don't
know what I will want to focus on afterwards, so my plans are for the first half of
2014 only.

One exception is my book challenge. I enjoyed the book challenge I set myself
last year, so this year I shall again try to read 50 books, most of which should be in
foreign languages.

My focus until June is to bring my conversational ability up in all my
languages. I'm an introvert, so having a conversation is rarely a goal, and that means
that I most like to study languages through reading. My reading ability is way beyond
my speaking ability in most of my languages. But now I have a reason and a deadline to
work on my speaking :-)

I did also sign up for the January Tadoku though, hoping to get a head start on my
reading.

I do not want to start a new language before the Polyglot Gathering, but I may not be
able to resist. After the conference, all bets are off. The languages that call
out to me the most right now are Chinese (so beautiful) and Indonesian (so easy), but I
shall definitely also work on Dutch, Italian, Modern Greek, Spanish and possibly
Japanese, Portuguese, Arabic, Swahili. My German, English, Esperanto and French are at
a level I'm content with.

This year I most want to work on my website www.learnyu.com and possibly write another
book. These take precedence over language study. However, I'm still aiming for > 700
hours total over the year.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 03 January 2014 at 7:47pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4647 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 2 of 42
03 January 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I'm an introvert, so having a conversation is rarely a goal, and that means that I most like to study languages through reading.

My God! I have COMPLETELY opposite! And unfortunately in many of my target languages I don't have a good language partner (or a partner who wouldn't use some fake excuses/would have more time for me)
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 42
05 January 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Resources:

I still have credits on italki, which I can use on speaking practice, but I'd prefer to
do language tandems or other exchanges with native speakers, because I think my
speaking is not that bad anymore.

For Mandarin, I'll also keep reading books - I brought back a bunch from China in April
- and I'm trying out a local Chinese class on Wednesday, not sure yet if I'll join.

For Indonesian, I have my textbook that I haven't completed, plus these online
resources:
http://gloss.dliflc.edu/ - G.L.O.S.S. audiovisual materials for Indonesian
http://www.bliubliu.com - read graded Indonesian texts and improve your
vocabulary
http://tedxtalks.ted.com/browse/talks-by-language/indonesianTEDx talks in
Indonesian, some with subtitles
http://www.childrenslibrary.org/ - children's books in Indonesian and many
other languages (use Advanced Search by language)
http://www.indokarlmay.com/v6/?page_id=233 - Karl May books as PDF in
Indonesian
http://hugemanga.com - Online manga in Indonesian

2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4647 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 4 of 42
05 January 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
This Bliu Bliu seems to be interesting.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4918 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 5 of 42
05 January 2014 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
http://www.bliubliu.com - read graded Indonesian texts and improve your vocabulary

Sprachprofi, how do you find working with bliubliu? I've tried it for Polish a few times, but it kept showing me individual sentences without any context. Not the kind of graded reading experience I was after... I hope they do a better job for other languages.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 6 of 42
06 January 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
A little better timing and we could start Indonesian together, Sprachprofi. It is on my
hit list right after Estonian, maybe next year. Wish you luck at those projects!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 7 of 42
07 January 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

http://www.bliubliu.com - read graded Indonesian
texts and improve your vocabulary

Sprachprofi, how do you find working with bliubliu? I've tried it for Polish a few
times, but it kept showing me individual sentences without any context. Not the kind of
graded reading experience I was after... I hope they do a better job for other
languages.

Set your level to something other than beginner and you'll see longer texts. Bliubliu
looks for texts that don't have more than a few new words, so at the beginning they
show you a lot of sentences if everything else contains too many new words. I haven't
tried Bliubliu with Polish, the situation may be worse if their Polish grammar isn't
ready yet - unlike LingQ, Bliubliu tries to lemmatize each word and all morphological
forms are supposed to count as one word only.

Quote:
A little better timing and we could start Indonesian together, Sprachprofi. It
is on my hit list right after Estonian, maybe next year. Wish you luck at those
projects!

I started Indonesian in April :-) It's a fun language, I love it. Good luck with your
studies!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 07 January 2014 at 11:09am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 8 of 42
11 January 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Finished my first book yesterday: "La Infiel" by Reyes Monforte, 571 pages of Spanish!
It's an interesting story about a Spanish woman who inadvertently falls in love with the
leader of a Muslim terrorist cell. I didn't like the way this book winds up portraying
Islam. On the one hand, there are discussions early on between those who have a negative
image of all Muslims and those who have more nuanced views, on the other hand, there is
not a single positive Muslim character in this book.

In terms of Indonesian, I created a parallel text based on the Karl May chapters I found
and I already read the first chapter.

Also, I signed up to an advanced Chinese class, which will take place every Wednesday
morning for 3 1/2 hours, and I'm thinking of participating in the italki challenge.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 11 January 2014 at 1:20pm

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version