I would love Assimil Assamese ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

brandnew2
United States
Joined 4438 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes

Message 42 of 102
03 March 2014 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
I've ordered Perfectionnement Russe, can't wait for it to arrive! I'm in the US and they didn't give any shipping estimate, so not sure how long of a wait it will be.

My Russian's not strong enough to use the course yet but hopefully having it will give me some motivation :) I've done about half of the 2012 Assimil Russian (English base) and half of the 1970's Le Russe Sans Peine (French base), but my russian study has been kind of sporadic over the past couple years. For what it's worth, I found the 1970's course quite a bit more coherent and helpful - more substance to the conversations, more of a graded difficulty curve, more useful vocabulary it seemed. The 2012 Russian course (which is based on the newer "Le Russe") felt a bit disjointed, as the dialogues were shorter and sometimes quite random, including in terms of vocabulary. This Perfectionnement Russe course is by the same author as the 2012 course, but I'm still optimistic. Even the newer/weaker Assimil courses are better than most language learning programs out there.
1 person has voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4507 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 43 of 102
05 March 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
It would be cool if Assimil someday fixed the Using Spanish course that is in an English
base.

brandnew2
United States
Joined 4438 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes

Message 44 of 102
06 March 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
My copy of perfectionnement russe came yesterday, only 3 days after I placed the order! I was expecting a longer wait since it was shipping from France to the US.

My level in Russian isn't high enough to start it quite yet, but leafing through the book, I'm impressed so far. The dialogues appear to be fairly substantial - the book itself is as thick as the beginning Assimil Russian course, even though there's 30 fewer lessons in the perfectionnement russe course (70 vs 100).
4 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4507 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 45 of 102
06 March 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
What sorts of things are in it, brandnew2? Is it all disconnected tracts of literature, a
story binding things together, etc...? More details would be great!

Also, if you don't mind sharing, how much was the cost with shipping and all after the
conversion to dollars (I am in the US too)
2 persons have voted this message useful

SomeGuy
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4896 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 46 of 102
28 March 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Yeah,some news about the Khmer Course!
A small Interview with Helene Nut about the upcoming Course ( should be out this Summer)
http://blog.assimil.com/entretien-audio-avec-helene-nut-khme r

Bart
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6956 days ago

155 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese, Swedish

Message 47 of 102
28 March 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I received my Perfectionnement Russe a few days ago and I am very impressed.
It looks to be a very thorough course with a lot of content.

I will update once I am a little further in it, but as for now I'm very enthusiastic to
say the least!

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4050 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 48 of 102
28 March 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I received mine as well. Dialogs are faster than any of the previous assimil courses right from lesson 1. With audio gaps removed there's ~2 hours 50 minutes of pure rapid speech (3h 50m is the original length). I've only worked my way through the first several lessons, but I've read through all the lesson titles. Seems like it starts with a lot of content regarding travel and life in Russia, but later there's much more cultural stuff with dialogs covering, film, literature, history and painting. It's written by the same author of the most recent basic course (Le Russe: Collection Sans Peine), and the dialogs I've come across so far have the same wit and sense of humor of the previous course.

Edited by YnEoS on 28 March 2014 at 4:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version