Joined 4608 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 57 of 102
11 May 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
QiuJP wrote:
I think Assimil has released a new Japanese course for French speakers: Le Japonais

It is only the reunion of the old Japonais sans peine, volumes 1 & 2, in a single book. It is now available as a Super Pack, but that's about the only good thing about this new version, so for anyone already having the old versions, there is no need to look after this new release.

You are both right and wrong. They say in their blog that recordings are 20% new in comparison to the older ones. And that only what concerns dialogues. Also, they recorded texts of 14 revision lessons:

3. Parlez-nous des enregistrements. Quelles est la proportion d’enregistrements nouveaux dans cette nouvelle édition ?
C.G. : Pour les dialogues la proportion est de 20%. Il s’agit soit de dialogues entièrement nouveaux soit de dialogues modifiés pour des raisons de vocabulaire. Et il ne faut surtout pas oublier les enregistrements de dialogues de révision (qui n’existaient pas dans la précédente édition), à la fin de chaque leçon de révision : soit 14 enregistrements de 10 phrases chacun.
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4474 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 58 of 102
11 May 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Ah, thanks for the correction! Every lesson I checked was entirely the same, but somehow reading the twenty first lessons today, I've had the impression some stuff was new to me. (and it is also better than what memory suggested)

The recording for the revision dialogues is also more than welcome. But of course, if you already have the old edition, it's still not worth investing in the new one. I didn't have it, so I'm very happy with my purchase. :)

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4050 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 59 of 102
27 June 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
For those who have been eagerly waiting, Assimil announced that Khmer and Cantonese will be released towards the end of august.

http://blog.assimil.com/nouveautes-assimil-automne-2014

Edited by YnEoS on 27 June 2014 at 5:51pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4381 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 60 of 102
28 June 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Have they said anything about releasing an English version of Using German/Russian? I'd be very interested in both.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4073 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 61 of 102
30 June 2014 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Cantonese? Even I don't know how to write "correct" Cantonese! I am curious...

I have listened to the clips. It seems that at least 1 of the speakers is not native, and
the only voice I think acceptable is the very clear, bright female one.

But I might be wrong. Perhaps it is how Cantonese is spoken beyond my place and time, how
people now lived in Chinatown spoke it and teach their sons and daughters; this I do not
know.

Edited by Paco on 02 July 2014 at 11:43pm

Al-Malik
Bilingual Heptaglot
United Kingdom
arabicgenie.com
Joined 6930 days ago

221 posts - 294 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Dutch, French, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Mandarin, Persian

Message 62 of 102
30 June 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Assimil has uploaded audio for three lessons for the Cantonese course:
https://soundcloud.com/assimil/sets/le-cantonais

Even with my limited knowledge of Cantonese, I can clearly tell that the speakers sound extremely peculiar.

A native speaker I consulted agrees with Paco's assessment that at least one of the speakers is non-native (or speaks some dialect very far removed from the standard) and the others speak in a very unnatural manner. It's a shame, as I was looking forward to this course.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6175 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 102
01 July 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Paco,

In your opinion, is the pronunciation bad enough that people should avoid the course?

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4050 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 64 of 102
01 July 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
I was also a bit worried about the accents, as they sound strange compared to my other Cantonese courses and Hong Kong films that I watch. Too bad, I'll probably still use the course just probably not do much shadowing with it.

Edited by YnEoS on 01 July 2014 at 4:33pm

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version