Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 65 of 81
07 February 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
I suppose this comes down to what sort of weight we should give
people's appraisal of their own progress. I don't have much faith in a person's ability
to self-evaluate, to judge what method is best for himself. I think we're too rife with
cognitive biases, placebo effects, wishful thinking to give much credence to our own
judgment.

Now maybe there's no alternative. Maybe the actual research out there is crap science,
and if that's the case, of course we shouldn't give it any weight. Is that the case? I
don't know--I'd like to hear from some people in the field. But my instincts are
always, first, to trust the experts. If experts said, say, Method A is the best, I'd go
with it. If it turned out to be absolutely horrible for me, I'd reconsider the expert
opinion. But they get the benefit of the doubt.

It's technocratic and even a bit elitist, but given what we know of ordinary peoples'
cognition, it's defensible.

I think what you're missing here in the personal experience is that it isn't
necessarily about the most effective or efficient method. To learn to speak a
language, you need to find methods which keep you interested in continuing to learn.
For a language learner, personal experience is key.

So take your example of an expert recommending a method. It may be efficient, and
might help students to learn and retain the most words per hour, for example. But if
the method isn't something you can do day after day for several years, then it isn't
going to be an important method for you.

One thing that often makes me laugh on these forums, is when someone asks if some
method would be "dangerous". No, unless the method involves something like retaining
facts by thumbtacking them to your forehead. In the same way, it doesn't really matter
if a method has been proven to be effective by scientific study. If it isn't
compelling, it won't last long. If it is compelling, then it will keep you learning.

So when I take advice from these forums, I'm not looking for someone who says a method
is proven, effective, or efficient. I look for someone who says they enjoy it enough
to keep doing it over and over.
6 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5023 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 66 of 81
07 February 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm not missing that. How well a method captures one's interest is something that can surely be studied, in much the same way scientists study which diets are most likely to be adhered to. You can ask all sorts of questions: what's the quickest way to lose weight? what's the most reliable way to lose weight? what's the safest way to lose weight? what's the method that will require the least will power?

Etc. Of course there's a subjective aspect, and we're all marvelously different. But we're all alike, too.
3 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4049 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 67 of 81
07 February 2014 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
By the way, in case anyone doesn't follow him on youtube, a few months ago Professor Arguelles posted a video on creating more case studies for self-learners rather than the usual studies in classroom environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKn6AqF0WY
5 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 68 of 81
07 February 2014 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
what's the quickest way to lose weight? what's the most reliable way to lose weight? what's the safest way to lose weight? what's the method that will require the least will power?

Etc. Of course there's a subjective aspect, and we're all marvelously different.

Losing weight is a mega-multi-billion dollar industry. Learning languages doesn't have the same market. They do have some things in common. One of the most important is the motivation of the individual. People lose weight with a variety of methods, some of them are certainly not the "best". Similarly, we learn language in different ways. One key is something you that "effective enough" that you can keep doing long enough to reach your goals.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5023 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 69 of 81
07 February 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Losing weight is a mega-multi-billion dollar industry. Learning languages doesn't have the same market. They do have some things in common. One of the most important is the motivation of the individual. People lose weight with a variety of methods, some of them are certainly not the "best". Similarly, we learn language in different ways. One key is something you that "effective enough" that you can keep doing long enough to reach your goals.

The market size is irrelevant so far as the comparison I made goes and there's no point to bringing it up. Nor am I saying there's one best way that'll work for everybody. That's silly. I'm saying you can study which methods are best, and best can include factors as diverse as you like--likeliness to keep learners interested, effectiveness of time spent, yadda yadda.

Let's say we're studying the best way to fight cancer. Will we find one best way? Surely not. Will best methods vary depending on the individual? Of course. Are there more issues than just effectiveness of fighting cancer? Of course: we look at quality of life, too, as well as cost effectiveness, for instance.

Does that mean these questions can't be investigated scientifically? Of course not. Does that mean that some ways of fighting cancer aren't better than others? Of course not.

I'm really not sure why people are combating me on this issue. Are there some who believe second language acquisition can't be studied scientifically? I suppose it's possible--but I don't think it's likely. Certainly the burden should be on the naysayers.

Or do some believe that the scientific research on this is so bad we should eschew it and just go on our gut hunches? I suppose that's possible, too, but again, I doubt it, and given what we know of human decision-making, I'd say it's advisable to put more faith in scientific analysis than individual appraisal.

Or do we think we're just all so different that any kind of statistical analysis wouldn't offer much? I think that vastly exaggerates the amount of difference between people--we've all got brains that follow the same basic blueprint--and moreover, would seem to vitiate the point of sharing any advice on this site as well.

None of this is to say the science behind second language acquisition is as well developed as say, dieting. Indeed, I very much doubt it is. Nonetheless, that does not mean what's there isn't worthwhile, nor that it's impossible to do such useful research in the future even if it doesn't exist at present.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 81
07 February 2014 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
I suppose this comes down to what sort of weight we should give people's appraisal of their own progress. I don't have much faith in a person's ability to self-evaluate, to judge what method is best for himself. I think we're too rife with cognitive biases, placebo effects, wishful thinking to give much credence to our own judgment.

There are things which are harder than others to self-evaluate, like your accent or idiomaticity in a language. And in such cases I tend to be sceptical about my own level - maybe it is enough for communication with natives, but that's all I can test personally. I may suspect that I have an abysmally bad accent, but it takes a qualified opinion to get a more precise appraisal. However I don't need a second opinion to tell me whether I need to look two words up per page in a book or not, and I can also estimate how large my vocabulary is. And I certainly know whether an hour with a grammar and some paper gives me a clearer vision about some grammatical phenomenon - maybe even to the extent that I can avoid certain types of errors.

So all hope is not lost. We don't have to gather outside the gates of our universities in the vain hope that somebody will come out and tell us how everything functions. Maybe we will get some sane advice from the wise people inside, but until that happens we have to experiment, each in our own unscientific way.

Edited by Iversen on 07 February 2014 at 8:46pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5023 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 71 of 81
07 February 2014 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I agree our self-evaluation is likely to be more accurate in certain areas than others, and as long as we approach it with proper skepticism and appreciation of our own cognitive limitations, then there's no problem. I think people generally don't exhibit the proper degree of those concepts, and that should be stressed, which I've aimed to do here. But of course, lacking any better evidence, personal report will have to do.

Perhaps we should return to the OP's question. There have been a wide array of answers as to why more research isn't cited. Some think there's a conspiracy that poisons research, so we shouldn't listen to it. Some think it's just not very good. Some think there's just not very much of it. Some think what is out there isn't applicable because everyone's too different from one another. Some of us just don't know about what's out there. Some of us prize anecdotal evidence over scientific evidence.

So there's the answer.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 72 of 81
07 February 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Or do some believe that the scientific research on this is so bad we should eschew it and just go on our gut hunches?

There were some links to research earlier in the thread. I found the one giving weight to the listening skill interesting.

There is Lessons learned from fifty years of theory and practice in government language teaching by the U.S. Foreign Service Institute, which isn't research per se, but it is based upon experience.

There is also Success with Foreign Languages - Seven who achieved it and what worked for them by Earl Stevick, which is a great read on the variability of successful language learners.

I'm reminded of Thomas Kuhn's Structure of Scientific Revolutions (link to a powerpoint with pretty pictures).

It seems there is no "one best way". Each individual has to find what works. Input from others is often helpful, but second language learning/acquisition is a complex enterprise. Let the games begin!

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version