United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 17 of 75
13 February 2014 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
I'd be in, depending on how long we would have to complete the challenge. A short
challenge (summer-long) and Old or Middle (if that counts) English would be fun. A
longer challenge (to the end of the year) and I'll try Homeric Greek. Again.

100 lines = three to four pages sounds right for Greek. Book 1 of the Iliad is 610
lines, and my hard copy has 30 lines per page.

____________________________________________________________ __

For other potential Greeklings out there:
Perseus has the Iliad,
Odyssey, and other texts online. There's a lot of Latin texts, too. It's a fantastic
resource: click on a word, and it gives you its grammatical breakdown.

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος

μῆνιν.....wrath.....noun sg fem acc
ἄειδε.....sing......verb 2nd sg pres imperat act   
θεά.......goddess...noun sg fem voc

and so on. It ain't easy.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6225 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 75
13 February 2014 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
I would really like to read in Classical Chinese(Gu Wen) but my limited knowledge of
Chinese characters would prevent me from taking part in any serious challenge.. Plus, if
I ever were to join the challenge with Gu Wen, I would have a hard time choosing which
version of reading I would want to use - should I read in Korean or Chinese styles Of
course, I don't have to be able to "read" characters out loud to understand the text..

I would like to know how this turns out.
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5197 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 19 of 75
13 February 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I might use this challenge as an springboard to bring my Classical Tibetan up to a decent level...

Generally speaking I prefer short time goals so 100 pages seems quite good.

As for (Middle) Egyptian resources do not forget the Urkunden. There's quite a few interesting historical documents there, like the autobiography of Ahmes the son of Abana for instance of Thutmosis III's stela from the Gebel Barkal.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a thread about Middle Egyptian literature.

edit. Here's a good start (Old, Middle and Late Egyptian texts).

Edited by akkadboy on 13 February 2014 at 5:20pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 20 of 75
13 February 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
I'd definitely like to sign up for this one, studying some Koine Greek, which is
roughly speaking between the classical period and post-New Testament Greek... In other
words anything from about 300 to 300.

What sort of time-frame are we talking about?

I'm interested in the question of living v dead for some languages. Is spoken Sanskrit
really the same as classical Sanskrit? Is the language of the Vedas even the same as
the Gita? Isn't Latin spoken in the Vatican? I have heard it argued that Classical
Greek and Modern Greek are the same language.

Another question which I am sure will come up, is the comparison between languages
which will be easy to read and languages with difficult scripts. I am not offering any
solution at this point, but it will be much harder (in most cases) for someone doing
Akkadian or Egyptian than for someone doing Latin or Greek.

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4033 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 21 of 75
13 February 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I'd definitely like to sign up for this one, studying some Koine
Greek, which is
roughly speaking between the classical period and post-New Testament Greek... In other
words anything from about 300 to 300.

What sort of time-frame are we talking about?

I'm interested in the question of living v dead for some languages. [1] Is
spoken Sanskrit
really the same as classical Sanskrit? Is the language of the Vedas even the same as
the Gita? [2] Isn't Latin spoken in the Vatican? [3]I have heard it
argued that Classical
Greek and Modern Greek are the same language.

All these are complex questions but I hope I can content you with some brief answers.
[1] The language of the Vedas is much older than Classical Sanskrit and contains
several phonological quirks and even possesses differing verb forms. Classical Sanskrit
usually = Paninian. Originally his grammar was descriptive of the north West (Punjab
etc) but it acquired descriptive force and thence classical status. However dramatic
and collegiate writes depart from him frequently and then there are spatial and
temporal dialectical differences. That said unlike Latin or Greek we possess near the
full range of several periods of Sanskrit. It's not dead like Latin or Greek are.

[2] The Vatican speaks a Latin. Certainly not a form any native (Roman)
speaker would have recognised. There are some odd ideas surrounding this...

[3] Define same language. As I've said before on this forum the similarity is so
heavily overemphasised and the debate so politicised you can't have a real debate.
They're the same language in the broadest sense of the term, yes, but extreme
innovation has taken place phonologically, morphologically and especially lexically and
syntactically. Anyone saying otherwise is a complete moron. However if you kill the
myriad subtleties of the old language and treat it as modern Greek you can get a
reading speed rather quickly. But you're not really "reading". It's....yeah just screw
it.

kanewai wrote:

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος

μῆνιν.....wrath.....noun sg fem acc
ἄειδε.....sing......verb 2nd sg pres imperat act   
θεά.......goddess...noun sg fem voc

and so on. It ain't easy.

So you clearly got the meaning of the line, right? "sing goddess of the wrath of
Peleus' son Achilles"

Now if I told you that μῆνις (menis) is a vested word related to mania and thus
distinct from, say, χωλός (kholos) and that θεά (thea) would be an aberration in speech
of the time. That it's purely literary and Greeks would have used ἡ θεός (he theos) and
that quantitive metathesis has played a game with the genitives there for metrical
reasons....well then you see how the Iliad gets hard. But in order to just sort of
"read" it. Well, not really. That's the amazing thing. You can just coast through with
a dictionary feeling a champion or you can try to read it in context with your
philological toolbox and tear your hair out. Just got for it. It's not difficult.

If you want my god's honest advice I'd recommend supplement reading the Iliad with
selections from Hesiod, the Hymns and Herodotus. Trust me, it seems counter productive
at first but your speed will jump up.
3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 75
13 February 2014 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Wow! Thank you everybody, for being so interested in a dead language challenge. I'd respond to you all individually, but if I did, I'd be here all day.

Some thoughts based on the discussion so far:

Size and duration. I want this challenge to be accessible to people who are at low levels in unfamiliar languages with complicated scripts. Not necessarily easy for them, but accessible. It's going to take me a while to finish 100 pages of hieroglyphs, for example. So at a minimum, this challenge will run several months. If that's not challenging enough for you, we'll offer extra glory to people who read more than 100 pages. :-)

Languages. I really want to include Sanskrit, even though a few thousand people still speak it at some level (including a revival movement). So let's make this a "dead and classic languages" challenge. For the purposes of this challenge:

1. A language is alive is you can find a playground full of children who speak it to each other.
2. A language is dead if it once qualified as alive, but now does not.
3. A language is classic if it was ever a major language of scholarship and writing, but it's now either dead or awfully close.

So both dead and classic languages are good.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 23 of 75
13 February 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Sounds great, emk. I would suggest three months as a good, round figure for a challenge
such as this. That would equate to just over a page a day.

As I mentioned, I would definitely be up for reading Greek for this challenge. I'd also
consider this as an interesting way to start Sanskrit. Which leads me to my next
question: What would you think about someone using an Assimil textbook for their
reading material, and counting the lines?

Thank you for your response, Lykeio. I found your responses interesting to read. My
questions actually were more hypothetical than actual, just to point out the difficulty
of defining a dead language. Emk gave me the answer I was looking for.

EDIT: thinking a bit further about the idea of using textbook texts... Since we are
dealing with classic and dead languages, you may want to make a rule about only using
classic texts (e.g. not simplified for students). So, for example, if I wanted to use
the Reading Greek textbook, I would have to skip the first half of the book, and start
where the texts are fully original (not simplified). As to whether Assimil Sanskrit
has any "real" texts, I have no idea. Unfortunately, that would also rule out things
like Peter Rabbit, so I'm guessing you'd rather not have that as a rule. I thought I'd
mention the possibility anyway. Again, just trying to consider all the possibilities.

Edited by Jeffers on 13 February 2014 at 4:59pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 75
13 February 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
As far as I know, the whole point of the Sanskrit thing is that there are a few villages where adult try to pass it on to their children. So there are some playgrounds where kids speak it, without even understanding that they are preserving an amazing language.

On the other hand I have no clue if Karelian has those playgrounds - maybe in some remote villages, but probably less than even Sanskrit. Googling made me quite sad though :( No clear answer, but apparently some Finnish attempts of assistance are viewed as intervention, wtf.

So, I hate to be the one hijacking all the challenges, but how about including endangered languages?

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version