Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4633 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 49 of 75
15 February 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
This sounds like a sensible solution to the problem. Thanks a lot, emk!

I also think it's good to allow annotated texts. In some classical languages, especially in poetry, you simply don't get along without some help.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 50 of 75
15 February 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
But what if you're learning a badly endangered language? Well, there's two ways you can include it: (1) if the language was once used by groups of children (or the ancient equivalent), but if this is no longer the case, then the language is dead enough to qualify.
A bit of a contradiction to what you said later? I liked the term "dead enough", heh. I'll be happy to participate in any way, though.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 75
15 February 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
emk wrote:
But what if you're learning a badly endangered language? Well, there's two ways you can include it: (1) if the language was once used by groups of children (or the ancient equivalent), but if this is no longer the case, then the language is dead enough to qualify.
A bit of a contradiction to what you said later? I liked the term "dead enough", heh. I'll be happy to participate in any way, though.

This was intended as a restatement of my original rules, not a change. Sorry to have misled you. :-) Languages like Sanskrit can be included in the main challenge as classical languages, despite showing a few very modest signs of life, because they were once great languages of scholarship and religion, and I don't want to rule them out because of a few villages. If somebody finds another language like this, it can go in the main challenge, too.

I don't know much about Karelian. According to Wikipedia, it has maybe 5,000 speakers in Finland, mostly elderly, and they don't really speak on a day-to-day basis. So Finish Karelian would probably qualify as "dead" by the playground test. But it also sounds like there are another 100,000 speakers in Russia, and they actually have Karelian-language elementary schools. If this is true, then Karelian doesn't qualify as "dead."

So based on my limited knowledge, it doesn't seem like Karelian really qualifies as a "dead" or "classic" language. But like I said, if that's the case, then you're still welcome to use the main tracker for Karelian as an honorary "life-support" language. And the "life-support" folks can make their own challenge rules, because they'll probably have different issues and concerns.

Dates. The challenge will run through September 1st. This is for everybody who asked for a summer challenge, and because I know that even a half-page of hieroglyphs per day represents a real time commitment. I haven't decided on an official start date yet, and in any case, I probably won't be able to build the tracker for another month or so. But I intend to err on the side of a long challenge, despite the low page count, because when you have people considering Classical Chinese and Classical Tibetan, even "extensive" reading may get pretty intensive at times.

There will be an option for people who want to read more than 100 pages, or who want sign up in multiple dead languages. Don't let us slowpokes hold you back. :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 52 of 75
15 February 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
It's taught in schools, but the children are non-natives and afaiu it's not used for regular subjects like maths. Also I now found an article that explicitly says there are no villages where it remains the main language of communication :(
The 100k number is old too, according to the 2010 census it's more like 33k total/26k in Russia/12k natives :( And even this is dubious, since apparently for many it's a question of ethnical identity and they can barely communicate in the language. According to the same census, my mum speaks fluent English...
UNESCO classifies two dialects as definitely endangered and one as severely endangered.

That said, if there's enough interest, I'd be happy to lead the "living" part of the challenge. Although I think the concerns are largely the same. Maybe audio could be an optional part where available.

Interestingly, Maltese is considered safe and Belarusian vulnerable.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 75
15 February 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
While you sort out the definitions I have had a look at my book shelves, and here I found the anthology "Oldnordisk Læsebog" by Ludwig Wimmer. I have read the first 40 pages during a train trip today, and I'm going to write a few words about the content in my log thread in a moment. But let me say that it isn't totally uncharted territory - the stories are wellknown in Denmark and sometimes beyond, and I have worked my way through at least some of them earlier as an extension of my study of Modern Icelandic - but not recently, and this time I'll read the book through from A to Z. So according to my own understanding of the challenge I'm through 40% of the scheduled 100 pages, and now I only lack the last 95 pages - given that the comments (which I skip) and the wordlist (which I have ignored so far) fill up more than half of this book. And then I may take on Saxo later.

Edited by Iversen on 15 February 2014 at 10:33pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 54 of 75
15 February 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
So according to my own understanding of the challenge I'm through 40% of the scheduled 100 pages, and now I only lack the last 95 pages - given that the comments (which I skip) and the wordlist (which I have ignored so far) fill up more than half of this book. And then I may take on Saxo later.

Well, yes, this challenge may be a bit on the easy side for Iceland speakers reading Old Norse. :-) Or for English speakers reading The Canterbury Tales, for that matter:

Quote:
Whilom, as olde stories tellen us,
Ther was a duc that highte theseus;
Of atthenes he was lord and governour,
And in his tyme swich a conquerour,
That gretter was ther noon under the sonne.

Once on a time, as old tales tell to us,
There was a duke whose name was Theseus:
Of Athens he was lord and governor,
And in his time was such a conqueror
That greater was there not beneath the sun.

So when I put the challenge tracker online, I'll make sure that it keeps counting after the first 100 pages, for those who wish to do more. But meanwhile I shall be girding myself for battle just to finish all 1,000-odd words of Peter Rabbit and log my first 4 pages. :-)

In my spare time, I've been retyping the text and doing an intensive read-through:

Once I finish my first pass, I hope to re-reread it extensively for the challenge. I'm really hoping this will get a lot easier after 20 full-sized pages or so!

Edited by emk on 15 February 2014 at 11:09pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 75
16 February 2014 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I got through the rest of the texts in Wimmer today - apart from some 10 pages which I skipped because I found them boring. As emk stresses it isn't hard to read Old Norse if you can read Icelandic, but maybe I should point out that Icelandic still isn't on the list of languages I claim to speak.

Edited by Iversen on 16 February 2014 at 10:51pm

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5197 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 56 of 75
17 February 2014 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Great, things are beginning to take shape.

Emk, when do you think will be the official launching of the challenge, 1st of March ?
Will there be a common log or does each participant have to create his own ? Or maybe pairing up "related" languages (Latin/Ancient Greek, Gothic/Old Norse/Old English...) could be nice as it may help people to keep motivated. Just a thought...

I "read" (i. e. translated) a couple of Classical Tibetan pages this week-end and clearly this is going to be quite a challenge. Lack of vocabulary means I'm spending much of my time looking up words. Sort of reminds me of my early Latin days.

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version