United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 75
18 February 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
OK, I think we've covered the highlights of studying dead languages before and after the related living languages. If you wish to discuss this subject further, please create a new thread. Thank you!

akkadboy wrote:
Emk, when do you think will be the official launching of the challenge, 1st of March ?
Will there be a common log or does each participant have to create his own ? Or maybe pairing up "related" languages (Latin/Ancient Greek, Gothic/Old Norse/Old English...) could be nice as it may help people to keep motivated. Just a thought...

I haven't decided on the official start date, but I'll do so fairly soon. It depends on when I have a spare day or two to get an optional challenge tracker up.

There will probably be a "Registration & updates" thread, like we had for the Super Challenge, and of course people are encouraged to do anything else which amuses them.

akkadboy wrote:
I "read" (i. e. translated) a couple of Classical Tibetan pages this week-end and clearly this is going to be quite a challenge. Lack of vocabulary means I'm spending much of my time looking up words. Sort of reminds me of my early Latin days.

Yup, I'm still at this stage in Egyptian. And Egyptian dictionaries are not the easiest I've found. But that's all the more reason to get in a little reading. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Shandra
Triglot
Italy
Joined 4993 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English

Message 66 of 75
20 February 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi!

I've just started "Lingua latina per se illustrata" by Orberg.

My main goal is to be able to enjoy reading a text in Latin.
I wonder if this challenge can help me stay focused and finish my textbook, so I can try more
difficult texts!

Thanks emk for the idea of this Challenge.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 67 of 75
21 February 2014 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
I have just put a link to this thread in my umbrella thread. I'll update that thread with the relevant informations if the structure here becomes the same as with the TAC teams, i.e. a teamleader (emk?) plus a number of members, each with their own log thread - and maybe a couple of benevolent ghosts standing in the periphery.

Edited by Iversen on 21 February 2014 at 1:47am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4217 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 68 of 75
21 February 2014 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Shandra wrote:
I've just started "Lingua latina per se illustrata" by Orberg.

Saaame!! This challenge is perfect for me. It will keep me going with Latin but not at all threaten any other
language. Thanks for the idea emk!

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4063 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 69 of 75
21 February 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
@Shandra and Emily96: You're about to embark on a truly wonderful journey. I've read Familia Romana (and part of the followup Roma Aeterna) and it taught me an important thing that Latin classes had failed to teach me: the pleasure of "just" enjoying stories in Latin, i.e. without being interrupted by analyses of cases and with the feeling that the Latin word order is the most natural and beautiful thing on earth. With a bit of dedication, but no excessive efforts, you will learn a ton of things about Latin and, if you're like me, you will often laugh, as Oerberg has humour and lots of interesting stories to tell. Once you've reached 2/3 of Familia Romana, make sure you also read other books in the same series, like Colloquia personarum, or Luigi Miraglia's wonderful Fabulae Syrae.

I'll be lurking in this thread, as I'd love to try such a challenge with ancient Chinese in a not too distant future.

Edited by lorinth on 21 February 2014 at 12:16pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4633 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 70 of 75
30 April 2014 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
When will the challenge start? I'm looking forward to finally reading Virgil's Aeneid in the original.

gregf
Triglot
Luxembourg
Joined 3741 days ago

12 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Italian, Ancient Greek

Message 71 of 75
30 April 2014 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Me too, let's blow it up!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 72 of 75
30 April 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
I have not forgotten this! I got sidetracked by work and then by the forum outage, but I'll be getting back to it soon.

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version