35 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5023 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 17 of 35
18 February 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
I've always wondered if part of the association with Italian being seen as beautiful is because of the connection with opera. Maybe not; a lot of people don't like opera regardless of what language it's in! It does tend to be a good language to sing in, as far as projecting sound properly--though I have to admit I've never been able to sign Italian music convincingly; German and French were always easier to handle.

True, but a lot of people DID like opera a long time ago, and maybe the current view of Italian is inherited from then.

Regardless, is Italian really easier to sing in? Yes, the lack of consonant clusters make it easier to do certain things in Italian, but who says that's good singing? German produces a different kind of song, with its own aesthetic. When you sing German, you have to really enjoy the guttural sounds, the aspirated stops, make them loud and forceful. Now doing that would be terrible Italian singing--but it makes for fine German singing.
1 person has voted this message useful

jpmtl
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3797 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 18 of 35
18 February 2014 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
I think it's just a cliché that people repeat, and most of them probably have had next to zero exposure to the language.

I don't think I would ever use the word 'beautiful' to describe a language I don't know anyway. Sure some languages are more 'melodic' than others, and some have less harsher sounds, but when you don't understand, it's still just... a bunch of sounds that have no meaning?

The first time I went to Italy, there was a guy on the plane sitting next to me speaking non-stop without taking a breath. After a while, it was just as irritating as it were Cantonese.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3783 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 19 of 35
18 February 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
It is certainly partly a cliché, but there is more to it than that. Some languages - perhaps with some lingusitic and geographical limitations - are repeatedly considered more beautiful. For instance, I still have to meet someone who considers Dutch beautiful. (I quite like Afrikaans though.)

Edited by Hungringo on 18 February 2014 at 10:49pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 35
18 February 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Well me for example :-) There were announcements in Dutch/Flemish when I took the Cologne-Paris express, and oh my, they were beautiful. Maybe to some extent it's due to a contrast with French, which I don't like, but when we were actually in Paris for about a week, I really just wanted to go to Amsterdam for a day and listen to this beautiful language.
The love is still there, though. It's like a softened version of German for me, maybe. And really we've had numerous threads about the most/least beautiful language and most languages got mentioned on both sides.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 21 of 35
18 February 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
One thing: the Flemish pronunciation and the Amsterdam pronunciation are HUGELY
different. Most people consider Flemish the "rustic, beautiful" pronunciation. In the
Netherlands consonants are often devoiced and pronounced more velar/uvular.

Fun fact: I had an ex-girlfriend who had studied Dutch at school (but in Belgium), and if
I wanted to speak Dutch to her, I had to modify my pronunciation to sound Flemish, or she
would not understand. If I spoke my native Dutch, it was incomprehensible to her.

Edited by tarvos on 18 February 2014 at 11:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 22 of 35
19 February 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:
For instance, I still have to meet someone who considers Dutch beautiful.

*raises hand*
6 persons have voted this message useful

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4121 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 23 of 35
19 February 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Personally, I like the rythm and entonation of this language. Also, its double consonants
make their words softer than their counterparts in other romance languages. Another possible
reason is that Italy is often considered the fashion capital of the world, and that affect
the public perception of Italian. Many luxury brands come from Italy: Armani, Versace,
Lamborghini, Ferrari... All that makes Italian language look more "stylish".

I'd like to add another reason. I have Italian ancestors, just like a lot of people in the
Atlantic coast of South America and the US. For that reason, I have a particular sense of
"belonging" with this language, which definitely makes it even more beautiful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 24 of 35
19 February 2014 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Two words: Sophia Loren.

If you need any more convincing, two more words: Gina Lollobrigida.

Joking aside, part of the reputation for Italian comes from the fact that some very famous beautiful people spoke/speak it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version