35 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 35
19 February 2014 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
One thing: the Flemish pronunciation and the Amsterdam pronunciation are HUGELY different. Most people consider Flemish the "rustic, beautiful" pronunciation. In the Netherlands consonants are often devoiced and pronounced more velar/uvular.

Fun fact: I had an ex-girlfriend who had studied Dutch at school (but in Belgium), and if I wanted to speak Dutch to her, I had to modify my pronunciation to sound Flemish, or she would not understand. If I spoke my native Dutch, it was incomprehensible to her.
Yeah, maybe it helped that I was exposed to the most beautiful variety of Dutch first. But I've not really had any exposure to the Flemish accent after that, yet I still consider the language very beautiful :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4047 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 35
19 February 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I think there are certain things that a lot of people consider beautiful in a language, here's my take on this:

For example more often than not people say that Finnish is a nice sounding language and that got me to thinking what actually makes a language sound nice to the average person. Here are my findings:

1. Isochrony
Italian is a syllable timed language, just like Finnish (in general) so that there are no reduced syllables and all vowels ring clear and true, unlike in English where you can have a sentence with only one unstressed vowel and the consonant clusters are separated only by the schwa-vowel.

2. Phonotactics
Italian and Finnish have huge overlaps in phonotactics; there are only a limited amount of consonants that can be word final, and most words end in a pronounced final vowel. Word initial consonant clusters are very limited if possible at all. The syllable structures are also very similar; both languages (alike Japanese) prefer these sort of syllables;
CV
CV: (only stressed syllable in Italian, other syllables also in Finnish)
CVC
which create what is commonly held as a "smooth" or "even" flow. Compare to the English monosyllabic word "twelfths" which has a syllable structure as follows:
CCVCCCC
although Italian allows up to a triple consonants in word initial position.

3. Phoneme inventory
There are certain sounds that are considered harsh and unpleasant and those are very often pronounced either in the velar, uvular or glottal areas. Italian phoneme inventory doesn't even go further than velar, where "w" and the hard-"g" are the closest to the throat as possible in standard Italian pronunciation. Finnish doesn't have any sounds in the uvular area, where the standard German "r" is pronounced. Fricatives are often considered unpleasant as well, more often coming from the back of the mouth than the front. Italian has five fricatives, the most "unpleasant" being probably the voiceless palato-alveolar sibilant "ʃ" (sh) which still doesn't reach quite as far. Finnish only has two fricatives, "s" and "h", but as the "h" is not a trilled velar but a smooth glottal one it doesn't usually get mentioned as "unpleasant" sounding. In comparison German has ten fricatives.

4. Palatalization
While I personally like palatalization, from what I gather most people really don't. Italian has very limited palatalization, most notably the sounds of "c" and "g" change in front of "i" and "e". Finnish doesn't have any palatalization, save for a few eastern dialects.

Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a beautiful or ugly language, to me all languages are equally graceful. If I find a language's sounds unpleasant I tell myself it's because I'm just not used to hearing those sounds, which always helps. It always makes me sad to see people give a hard time to languages for what they sound like.

Edited by Henkkles on 19 February 2014 at 11:02am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4528 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 27 of 35
19 February 2014 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
While I don't think the actual sound of the language is unimportant, I do think it's
more a factor of cultural condition.

I think it's hard pressed for most people when thinking of a language especially a
beautiful one to not think of a romance language.

I could easily envision a world where the exotic sounds of some eastern language were
considered enriched full of prestige.
3 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4566 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 28 of 35
19 February 2014 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Italian is actually one of the few languages whose sound I dislike, although it has little to do with its phonemes. I do love opera and really like how Italian sounds when it's sung. I probably also wouldn't mind whispered Italian, or Italian spoken by an expressionless, monotonous robot. The thing that annoys me about Italian spoken out loud by actual Italians is the intonation. More than anything this probably has to do with less than positive memories from the language school in England I attended every summer in my middle and high school years. The school I studied at in Kazakhstan sent a huge group there every year, and every time the only group comparable in size was from Italy. Because of this there was always lots of competitiveness and animosity between us "Kazakhs" and the Italians, as the two largest cliques. Maybe because of that whenever I hear people speaking Italian I start to suspect that they're secretly making fun of me :)

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 29 of 35
19 February 2014 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
In India, Italian is not considered beautiful. Sonia Gandhi's foreign accent is mocked at by almost every Indian.

In Croatia, Italian is not considered particularly beautiful, but annoying and girly/gay. On the other hand, Spanish is considered extremely beautiful (maybe because we get 20 Mexican, Colombian and Argentinian
soap operas weekly and no programs from Italy). Many people don't like open and closed E's and O's
of Italian (because in Croatian they're marker of peasent's dialects, those close to Slovenian, standard Croatian
vowels are intermediate E's and O's like in Spanish and Greek)

I find the staccato rhythm of Italian and double consonants (doppie) annoying.
After 5 min. of listening to Italian speaking, I find it stuffy.

I find Brazilian Portuguese and Latin American Spanish much more beautiful than Italian.
I find Flemish, Macedonian and Slovak more beautiful than Italian too.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3839 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 30 of 35
20 February 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Italian is a very nice sounding language, but I prefer the sound of French. And, in my opinion, none of these languages have anything on Irish in terms of beauty.

Edited by Indíritheach on 20 February 2014 at 11:31pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 31 of 35
20 February 2014 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
In India, Italian is not considered beautiful. Sonia Gandhi's foreign accent is mocked at by almost every Indian.

The Italian language and an Italian accent are two different things. And the mockery is probably as politically motivated as anything else, since some Indians don't like the idea of a "foreigner" in Indian politics.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 32 of 35
20 February 2014 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Yes, the Italian accent is mocked in English too :)

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version