justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 17 of 38
25 February 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I didn't really get how to study languages in school. I loved them, and wanted
to speak, and had both good teachers and the self-motivation. And I think most other
students honestly wanted to learn.

But in most courses I could get good grades through all-night cram sessions. My Latin
teacher kept insisting that we needed to study each day, but we didn't listen to him at
all. I treated Latin the same way I treated chemistry, computer science, and history.

It wasn't until I moved out into the world that I figured out how to learn languages.

I don't know how to get around this. I believe that languages should be taught in
school, and even that they should be mandatory. I just don't know how you get through
to kids that they need to adjust their study habits!
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 38
25 February 2014 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
wv girl wrote:
I would like to clarify one thing. The state that is considering this doesn't have a 2 year mandatory foreign language requirement to graduate high school. The requirement for 2 years of a foreign language, which they are considering allowing computer programming to fall under, is for college track students, as this is often a prerequisite for acceptance.

But have the universities also changed their admission policies to allow JavaScript instead of Spanish? In most cases, I'm guessing they haven't, so studying programming isn't going to help the students get into a university. Honestly, this whole idea that "Java fulfills the language requirement" smacks of intellectual dishonestly. It's too cute, by far.

wv girl wrote:
I've also faced the challenge of trying to get films approved to share with my classes. Movies are frowned upon as "lazy teaching," with no exceptions made for foreign language! I've copied whole little readers for my kids because there's no money to purchase "extra" resources. They already have a textbook, after all, where there are a few paragraphs at the end of each chapter & a simulated conversation with that chapter's vocabulary.

This is just heartbreaking (although it comes as no surprise whatsoever). I don't see much point in teaching foreign languages unless the ultimate goal is for the students to be able to read, listen and converse. And for a great many students, the only way to learn to read, listen and converse is to actually do those things.

A well-equipped classroom (yeah, I know, it's not happening in this universe) should have:

1. Easy graded readers on subjects that really interest the students. Say whatever you want about Krashen; the man can provide a list of 30 empirical studies showing the value of a classroom library. Or here's an anecdotal example:

Quote:
Cho had an idea. She suggested that her students read books from the Sweet Valley High (SVH) series, by Francine Pascal, about twin sisters: good-girl Elizabeth and bad-girl Jessica.

Cho soon discovered that the SVH series, which were written for girls 12 and older, were too difficult for her students. They couldn’t read them without spending a lot of time looking words up in the dictionary. So she asked them to read Sweet Valley Twins books with the same characters when they 8-12 years old.

Once again, the books were too difficult. And once again, Cho had another suggestion: the Sweet Valley Kids series with the same characters at about 5-8 years old. Her students, all adults, became enthusiastic readers of the Sweet Valley Kids!

The ladies didn’t attend any ESL classes. They concentrated only on reading. Their vocabularies began to grow. Their friends began to notice how much their English had improved. And one of the ladies, who had never read for pleasure in English, read all 34 Sweet Valley Kids books, many Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High books, and had moved on to romances by Danielle Steele and adventure novels by Sidney Sheldon, which are significantly more difficult! All in one year!

2. A DVD library with things to watch. This is tricky—movies are often a waste of time at lower levels, but French in Action or Destinos would be a reasonable choice, as would really easy TV series or documentaries for 3rd- and 4th-year students. And honestly, if I were teaching at a private school where the rules could be bent in order to get results, I'd throw in the kind of stuff the kids would normally watch at home, even if it wasn't officially "age appropriate." Hey students! Watch TV series for credit! Foreign language class is the best. :-)

3. Lots of opportunities to actually engage in conversation. This is harder, because the kids are lousy conversational models for each other, and because some kids will probably really want a silent period. But one of friends took French from a woman who was brilliant at running an all-French classroom for beginners (allegedly because she barely spoke English herself, but hey).

Of course, all these nice ideas quickly run into reality: US schools are very, very uneven in quality, to an extent which few Europeans would believe. I've read about schools in Massachusetts where the average teacher doesn't show up to work 1 day in 4, and trash overflows the bins and literally rots in the hallways. One of my university friends from a working-class neighborhood in south Boston can share some stories that are nearly as bad, and the average Massachusetts high school teacher reads at an 11th grade reading level, or something ridiculous like that.

I was luckier: I went to a decent suburban/rural school, where we had some very smart, dedicated teachers, and only one or two who were incompetent. But at least among the guys, being a good student meant that the jocks would actually try to beat you up, like something out of a bad 80s movie. (I was occasionally on the receiving end of this, but since I was a good 10cm taller than most of the jocks, they mostly settled for verbal bullying.)

I also spent a year in a good European classroom, and the difference was startling: Instead of getting punched for getting good grades, it actually provided a modest amount of social status. Even the kids who didn't personally care about learning could respect it in others to some extent.

So yeah, US teachers often operate under crazy burdens. I know it's a totally unrealistic dream to give a US French teacher a one-time, $1,000 library budget to buy stuff from Richochet Jeunes and Kiosque Mag. And it breaks my heart.

wv girl wrote:
But in spite of challenges, of limited access to better resources (even when you can find them free online, not approved), I have had some students who do well. What makes the difference? Their own interest in the language, their own willingness to look for ways to use it. Communicating on Xbox with someone, practicing in the local Mexican restaurant. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but if you were a 14 year old in your first year of class, ordering & paying in Spanish, using the basic phrases, it's a boost to your confidence. Got the gist of a commercial in French? Superstar!

Aw, these stories make me so happy. :-)

kanewai wrote:
I didn't really get how to study languages in school. I loved them, and wanted to speak, and had both good teachers and the self-motivation. And I think most other students honestly wanted to learn.

But in most courses I could get good grades through all-night cram sessions.

Yeah. The teachers often know what needs to happen (if only because they've all learned at least one language themselves!), but nobody else in the system is really invested in success, where "success" is defined as "getting at least some students past the threshold of basic independence so they can actually use their language."

This is actually one of the reasons I respect Khatzumoto so much: Even though Neutrino is very expensive (and I find his ad-copy annoying), he actually promises fluency or a full refund. Similarly, FSI and DLI are held accountable for producing fluent students. And Middlebury's expensive summer programs simply ban English, which has much the same effect: they need to produce semi-fluent speakers, or the students won't be able to talk.

But in US schools, nobody but the French teacher really cares whether 4th-year French students can carry on a conversation or not. If they did care, they'd cough up a budget, loosen the restrictions, and demand results.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 38
25 February 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
One more important fact is that even though we forget much of our school chemistry/physics/maths, and also literature/history (so both science and humanities), we still retain a lot of vague knowledge in these disciplines. But languages are something much more practical, and unlike other subjects, retaining only fragmentary and theoretical knowledge is generally viewed as a failure.

nandemonai
Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3969 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 20 of 38
25 February 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
So does that mean there are people from Flanders who are very weak in French? I
thought French was ingrained pretty deep in Belgian society. How does it work when Flemish speakers
go to Brussels? Do some of them have difficulty communicating in their own capital city? I know that
Brussels is technically bilingual but I'm sure this isn't exactly the case.

This isn't the case. Many from Flanders aren't able to converse in French. Out of maybe 30 in the last
year of high school, at most five were able to hold a decent conversation. This doesn't mean every
school is as bad as mine, but there are other schools that produce the same results like the one I went
to. Only a few high schools are able to produce reasonable speakers. For reference, I went to a normal
city school. Not a very good or bad one, just average.

It also depends on what you studied in high school, some majors (what is it called in high school?) are
more focused on languages than others. From my experience I can tell it's usually those that take more
language focused majors are the ones that have a reasonable command of French.

About Brussels, I avoid it as much as possible when I'm alone. French is more dominant over there and
I've been in situations where I wasn't able to communicate. I often resort to using English if that option
is available.

Unless the quality of teaching foreign languages can be improved in general, I'll be against mandatory
foreign language classes after two years. By then you will have had a taste of how it is to study a
language, and be able to decide for yourself if you want to continue with it or want to use that time for
some other class.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 21 of 38
25 February 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Serpent. There is something "all or nothing" with languages that isn't present to the same amount in other fields. Learning a little math can go a long way. Learning a little language, eh, that doesn't get you much.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 38
25 February 2014 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
But at the same time this makes me remember what Barry Farber wrote: In neurosurgery, there's no difference between knowing nothing and knowing a little. In languages, this difference can be important.

Although the question is: to whom does the statement about neurosurgery apply? For a patient, knowing a little about their upcoming surgery can be very important. And when we or our friends&family have any medical issues, our school biology/chemistry help us understand popular medical articles/sites. We learn the practice and theory, remember some theory, it helps us understand more theory. And this makes sense, at least compared to language teaching.

Edited by Serpent on 25 February 2014 at 9:16pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 23 of 38
25 February 2014 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
nandemonai wrote:
beano wrote:
So does that mean there are people from Flanders who
are very weak in French? I
thought French was ingrained pretty deep in Belgian society. How does it work when
Flemish speakers
go to Brussels? Do some of them have difficulty communicating in their own capital
city? I know that
Brussels is technically bilingual but I'm sure this isn't exactly the case.

This isn't the case. Many from Flanders aren't able to converse in French. Out of maybe
30 in the last
year of high school, at most five were able to hold a decent conversation. This doesn't
mean every
school is as bad as mine, but there are other schools that produce the same results
like the one I went
to. Only a few high schools are able to produce reasonable speakers. For reference, I
went to a normal
city school. Not a very good or bad one, just average.

It also depends on what you studied in high school, some majors (what is it called in
high school?) are
more focused on languages than others. From my experience I can tell it's usually those
that take more
language focused majors are the ones that have a reasonable command of French.

About Brussels, I avoid it as much as possible when I'm alone. French is more dominant
over there and
I've been in situations where I wasn't able to communicate. I often resort to
using English if that option
is available.

Unless the quality of teaching foreign languages can be improved in general, I'll be
against mandatory
foreign language classes after two years. By then you will have had a taste of how it
is to study a
language, and be able to decide for yourself if you want to continue with it or want to
use that time for
some other class.

My experience is that older people from Flanders speak better French - before Flanders
decided that they should all learn English instead of French, instead of doing both at
the same time. I think your results in French nowadays as youngsters parallel those of
the Netherlands - you ought to understand, but you don't, because the emphasis is not
the same as it used to be.

But talk to someone educated 40 years ago and their French tends to be much better.
When I was in Brussels, I didn't really hang around the Dutch-speaking community there
(it was usually internationals and later on also francophones, and in some cases French
was unavoidable for me - I was dating someone from the "other side"). And then there's
the problem that Flanders and Wallonia just don't get along, so that even if a Flemish
person could speak French - they really don't feckin' want to.

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5229 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 24 of 38
25 February 2014 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
To get back to the OP's question, several programmers here have mentioned that programming languages are different from natural languages in important ways, but haven't stated what those are. When I was finishing my CS degree (before my interests in natural languages), I took a course on programming language design. Much of the class was about formal grammar and the Chomsky hierarchy. Programming languages are low on this hierarchy.

Not only is the vocabulary of computer languages very small, but the grammars are simplified in very important ways. For instance, the meaning of any given sentence can be parsed without "backtracking" to earlier symbols in the sentence or "lookahead" at upcoming symbols for clarification.

So, a programming language is a very different beast and literally does not contain all the features necessary to replace a natural language in the way implied by your question. It would be like replacing driver's education class with bicycle-riding lessons.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version