United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 25 of 38
26 February 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Learning a little math can go a long way. Learning a little language, eh, that doesn't get you much.

But that's just it, kids don't learn a little maths in the schooling system, they learn loads, starting from the first day at school. Maths lessons take place practically every day until they leave. The time devoted to languages is much smaller. Ok, maybe the Dutch and the Swedes hammer English into their youngsters non-stop, but most countries give far less priority to languages in comparison to maths.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nandemonai
Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3968 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 26 of 38
26 February 2014 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:
Learning a little math can go a long way. Learning a little
language, eh, that doesn't get you much.

But that's just it, kids don't learn a little maths in the schooling system, they learn loads, starting from
the first day at school. Maths lessons take place practically every day until they leave. The time devoted
to languages is much smaller. Ok, maybe the Dutch and the Swedes hammer English into their
youngsters non-stop, but most countries give far less priority to languages in comparison to maths.

It pretty much all depends on what you're taking, in my first year of high school I had actually more
foreign language classes than maths (5 hours of French and 2 hours of English compared to 4 hours of
maths). Though due my choice to focus more on maths my hours of foreign language classes dropped
over time. There are options to have a lot more foreign language class hours than maths, though there
aren't as many who go that route.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 38
26 February 2014 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Yeah same here. I needed to take some extra maths because the curriculum was so focused on the humanities.

But the point is that relatively to what they retain, kids learn a lot of maths and a lot of L2. It's just that remembering only a little maths is not looked down upon, as long as you can count etc. The L2 equivalent would be "as long as you can communicate", but that's much harder.

And it's totally not offtopic because most kids would also not learn to code. Although especially for girls or basically anyone who's not a stereotypical nerd it's good to see what it's really about and that there's no magic there.

Edited by Serpent on 26 February 2014 at 9:10am

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 28 of 38
26 February 2014 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
All skills rust away if you don't actively use them. I got brilliant grades for chemistry at school but haven't thought about it (never mind use it) for 25 years. Now I can hardly remember anything.

Most people need maths skills on a regular basis during the course of their everyday lives so the basic knowledge is kept fresh. Many language learners cease to have contact with the language once they leave school.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 29 of 38
26 February 2014 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:
Learning a little math can go a long way. Learning
a little language, eh, that doesn't get you much.

But that's just it, kids don't learn a little maths in the schooling system, they learn
loads, starting from the first day at school. Maths lessons take place practically
every day until they leave. The time devoted to languages is much smaller. Ok, maybe
the Dutch and the Swedes hammer English into their youngsters non-stop, but most
countries give far less priority to languages in comparison to maths.

They don't in general, unless you count the new fad of bilingual primary schools.
Bilingual education is all the rage now in the Netherlands, there's even one in my
town. Of course the only language they ever choose for it is English (I think there are
some that do German near the border). But that's a recent trend of the last 5-10 years.
It didn't exist before that, and is not de rigueur (and also a small part of the
educational system as a whole).

But what I find funny is that I live in a village where such a thing exists. You'd
think it have some chance of success in Amsterdam, where rich people pay exorbitant
amounts of money to school their children in multiple languages, just like they would
for a prestigious lycée français, but it's in a suburban town for middle-class
bourgeoisie who also want their children to speak English because "educated people
speak fluent English" - I guess.

I think that low levels of English are becoming more and more a faux pas in the
Netherlands, socially. But I think it has to do with the prestige of English - if it
was Chinese then people would have jumped on that fad (speaking of Chinese, there's a
secondary school in Rotterdam that is teaching their students so they can sing along
with the Taiwanese rock band Mayday).

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5225 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 30 of 38
26 February 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Since it seems pretty evident that programming languages are not at all comparable to human languages, the
discussion has moved on to the state of teaching or learning of languages in schools. On this topic, I'll make
three quick comments:

1. With the exception of what I discuss in my second comment, high school language teaching in North America
does not aim to produce speakers or users of the language, A foreign language is a subject just like any other.
You study it to get good grades and move to the next level.

2. In my opinion, the only way for school to produce speakers of the language is to make the language the
medium of instruction. Tavros speaks of the bilingual education rage in the Netherlands. Variations of this exist
everywhere. It may be a year abroad in the target language; the French immersion approach in Canada; or those
exclusive international schools - such as the lycées français - that are found in the major cities of the world.

In passing, I should point out that there is a certain amount of elitism here. Bilingualism or multilingualism, at
least in the English-speaking world, is associated with upper class education.

3. Totally unlike Europe and much of the world, North America, and particularly the US, has very little everyday
use for a foreign language. After all, the whole world is learning English. Why bother learning another language?

Edited by s_allard on 26 February 2014 at 3:30pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 31 of 38
26 February 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
It was a thing even 15 years ago. But then it was only secondary schools and only for
people at gymnasium/atheneum at the highest level - nowadays you have bilingual schools
in all layers of society, and also for primary schools (in Frisia, trilingual
Dutch/English/Frisian schools exist). It used to be prestigious, and I was in the first
generation of students at my school's programme.

Nowadays, it's popping up everywhere and for everyone.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5327 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 38
26 February 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
3. Totally unlike Europe and much of the world, North America, and particularly the US, has very little everyday use for a foreign language. After all, the whole world is learning English. Why bother learning another language?

The obvious exception to this is Spanish. There are quite a few regions of the US where Spanish is spoken heavily. Parts of Miami are heavily Spanish-dominant, for example, and I once heard a puzzled anglophone from southern California ask, "But don't most people understand basic Spanish, more or less?" I often hear people speaking Spanish on the train in Boston, and I very occasionally run into Spanish speakers with weak English in mid-sized university towns in northern New England.

And this isn't just an "elite" issue. For example, it occasionally causes friction between Latinos/Latinas and African Americans in the job market (warning, lots of angry political material behind this link; let's not bring it here to HTLAL):

Quote:
What Dee stated in her comment is unfortunately true and I have seen it at higher levels than entry level positions. The tripling of the hispanic population within the coming years will leave the African-American community with a harder road in being able to obtain employment - even with our degrees.

So there are definitely regions of the US where even B1 Spanish would be a life-long asset, even for people who don't belong to any sort of "elite." And B1 Spanish is certainly within reach of any diligent high school student, given the right support from the school, and the presence of Spanish in the larger community.

Edited by emk on 26 February 2014 at 3:24pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version