Groupie
Ukraine
allthetongues.hRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4096 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*

Message 17 of 43
28 April 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
I got completely convinced that chorusing is the way to go. To have a full-time study, I
would like some questions answered.
First, are there any recommendations in what sentences to choose?
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 43
28 April 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
As far as I've understood the method, any sentences will do, as long as they're "long enough" and fill up an A4 sheet.

shinkarom
Diglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 4096 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 

Message 19 of 43
28 April 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Are on this site people who tried chorusing and (what's more important) can share their
experience? I know at least maxb tried and succeeded.

Jalds
United States
Joined 4746 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 20 of 43
01 May 2014 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
shinkarom wrote:
Are on this site people who tried chorusing and (what's more
important) can share their
experience? I know at least maxb tried and succeeded.

I tried Chorusing and found it quite useful. However, I combined chorusing with Luca's
method as I needed to know where the pauses where located and also translate difficult
pronunciations to something I could understand (IPA is great if you know it, but I just
used the phonetic spelling).

What I found was that prosody definitely improved and my pronunciation of the areas I
translated improved as well (I can't say I reached a native level, but feedback on my
interactions with native speakers indicates I don't sound like a person struggling with
the language).

I think the prosody improvements are long term. I also feel T=the pronunciation
improvements are long term IF the sounds occurs in the same situation, meaning same
emphasis, same tone, same distance from a pause and so forth. When I went on a reading
binge and did not engage in any long conversations for over month, I found my prosody
remained in tact, but some pronunciations were troublesome again. However, they did
reactivate within a couple of weeks of heavy conversation and chorusing and even
shadowing.

As a side note, if I had to start again, I would use a combination of Luca's method,
with the Mimic method (recording yourself is really important for feedback) and finish
with a lot of chorusing.

Would that lead to a native accent?...Who knows? But I'm certain it would lead to an
improvement.

Anyway, common sense disclaimer applies: this was my personal experience and I don't
claim any expertise in this area. Good luck.

2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 21 of 43
01 May 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the post Jalds, it's nice to see someone else has tried similar methods to me and has had some success. You mentioned the Mimic method; I thought that was a paid course (which I'd certainly be open to taking if it's worth it!) but I looked on the site and saw there are also some free resources and tutorials, so I need to look into these. I agree about recording yourself, it's helped me catch a few bad habits like vowel reduction that I might not have noticed just from chorusing.

What has been your experience with applying the improvements to your conversational speech? I find that even if I can chorus and repeat well, that doesn't necessarily carry over to my "normal" speaking. Does it just come with time? Do you try to chorus a wide variety of phrases to "cover all the bases", or do you focus on doing a small number but doing them well? Sorry about all the questions, especially since as you say this is just from your own experimentation and you're not an expert, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Edited by garyb on 01 May 2014 at 11:17am

shinkarom
Diglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 4096 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 

Message 22 of 43
01 May 2014 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
When I chorused just two sentences, my prosody and confidence in conversation drastically
improved.

Jalds
United States
Joined 4746 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 23 of 43
01 May 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Gary,

I didn't pay for the Mimic Method course, I just followed the steps Idahosa outlined
and self evaluated my recorded performance.

As for seeing improvements in my conversational speech, I absolutely saw an improvement
in prosody or "flow" as Idahosa calls it. And that improvement is now permanent.

Pronunciation improvement is completely different. I think Luca's method is best for
that, especially if followed by chorusing or the mimic method. I absolutely need to
translate strange sounds to a phonetic spelling that I could make sense of. While I've
made huge pronunciation gains in conversational speech, I think those gains occurred at
a slower pace because the combination of a certain sound with other sounds changes the
entire vocalization.

For example, I used to have real trouble saying "el aeropuerto". After chorusing and
mimicking I can say that with ease. Then one day I had to say "al
aeropuerto"...complete disaster. I had to start the chorusing and mimicking all over
again for that combination.

Lastly, you asked if these things just come with time. I think prosody might since
Children not only learn it that way, but parents don't normally correct the prosody or
the flow of speech from their children.

However, I doubt pronunciation improves without serious attention to detail. Meaning
that I think you can count on osmosis for a some amount of pronunciation improvement,
but there are still a lot of vocalizations that need focused attention.

I remember working fairly hard on the aspiration of of the letter "S" in Caribbean
Spanish and the many cases of "elision". I don't think that would have improved just
by listening to 1000 hours of input.

Jalds
United States
Joined 4746 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 24 of 43
01 May 2014 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Do you try to chorus a wide variety of phrases to "cover all the bases",
or do you focus on doing a small number but doing them well?

I started small, using with a paragraph from a transcript and then expanded to 2
paragraphs. Any longer then there were too many things to focus on it becomes an
exercise in reading aloud.

After doing a lot of these, I started noticing weak points, and searched for examples of
someone saying those words or sounds I had trouble with and then chorused them.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version