Ukraine
allthetongues.hRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4096 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*

Message 25 of 43
01 May 2014 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I practiced chorusing this way:
I take a short sentence. Then I loop it in Audacity or in SIL Speech Analyzer till it starts to
bore me (100 or 200 times). Then I start repeating in unison, trying to match intonations
exactly (also 50 or 100 times). It all takes a hour or two per sentence of not taking off my
headphones.
It has its merit, although is so cumbersome that I didn't practice after two sentences. Is there
any simpler way to chorus?
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 43
02 May 2014 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
The recommendation is 50/100 times (or thereabouts). Maybe there's an easier way, mabye it's not chorusing the way Olle Kjellin does it, maybe you're doing it wrong.

However, repeating a sentence 100 times should not take an hour, even with 200 "pre-listens". That makes.... 12 seconds per sentence (are you chorusing Sir Walter Scott?).
2 persons have voted this message useful

shinkarom
Diglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 4096 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 

Message 27 of 43
02 May 2014 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
That's why I'm asking others for the way they do it.
Maybe it's more than 100/200. All I know is that it takes so much energy and seems so
tiring, that I hardly have any motivation to continue.

Mrs. Dalloway
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4757 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 28 of 43
03 May 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I'm guessing that what the methods discussed help with is the acquisition of a standard
accent, am I wrong? The equivalent of 'Received Pronounciation', in a British English
context? I'm guessing so, I'll ask for confirmation, just in case.

But how do you go about choosing the dialectal version that you're going to speak, if
the standardised "news reports & academia" style is not desirable or there is not a
'standard' pronunciation?

I'll take English as an example. I learnt English through a variety of mediums and
encountered a wide variety of accents. As I've always been naturally good at picking up
accents, I developed an accent that has allowed me to pass for a native American
English speakers in a few occasions, but since I started attending university in a UK
institution, I've come into contact with all kinds of British and non-British accents.
Whoever gets to spend some more time with me, now, will hear me slip quite often, oddly
pronouncing a [i:]/ as a short [ɪ] and similar mistakes. What is proving really hard
for me right now is to settle on one variant and try to pick it up. I have a girlfriend
from Yorkshire and mimicking her could help me settle on a set of pronunciations quite
quickly, but I don't particularly wish to acquire that kind of accent, mostly for
reasons of intelligibility ;p

A resolution would be to choose the dialect that's closest to you for personal reasons,
such as the one of the place you're living in. But, as a university student living in a
'university' city, you don't really get to hang out with people who are FROM the city
as much as with foreigners/people who moved there.

And, most importantly, how do you work against the tendency to assimilate other
people's pronunciation and prosody, when you spend time with them? This happens
normally with one's native language, but in that case it's quite easy to go back to
your own, whereas with a secondary language, it can destroy what you've been working
towards. Hope what I wrote made at least a bit of sense!

shinkarom
Diglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 4096 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 

Message 29 of 43
03 May 2014 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
I think, if you want specific dialect, then chorus by the radio recordings (there's a
program called RadioSure). For me the "narrator's" dialect would be fine.
Yes, forgetting what you've learned is a danger. After month or two without chorusing I
started to forget learnt prosody.

shinkarom
Diglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 4096 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 

Message 30 of 43
25 April 2015 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
I was about to post about Luca's method actually. He also has a series of posts on his own blog about his "phonetic analysis" method, including videos.

Personally I've been experimenting with a combination of that and Olle's method (essentially, doing the phonetic analysis on the phrases and then doing lots of listens and repeats) for a few months, on and off. I'd say that I've seen improvements, but so far they're inconsistent and my accent is still far from good. It takes a lot of time and effort for the new habits to actually make their way into your spontaneous speech, and I'm awful at pronunciation and accent as it is so it's going to take a lot of work, so I can't yet comment on how effective the methods are. Ask me again in a year's time :).

I bet the year is over, garyb. Now it's time for feedback.
6 persons have voted this message useful

phonology
Groupie
Peru
Joined 3500 days ago

40 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 31 of 43
04 May 2015 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
namsskogan wrote:
Here is a blog which describes Luca Lampariello’s method for accent
reduction

luca-lampariello-add1challenge/">How To Work on Accent Reduction

It is very interesting its strategy on mastering the rhythm of high and low pitch and
the separation of words into syllables to approach a native accent.

I understood that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r05ropOnt3s

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 32 of 43
06 May 2015 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
shinkarom wrote:
I bet the year is over, garyb. Now it's time for feedback.

Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about this post!

I think that a couple of months of chorusing and phonetic analysis took my Italian accent from bad to OK. It helped me notice and fix a few things I was doing wrong, like not applying syllable-timing properly and sometimes reducing final vowels. However, I don't feel that I got past "OK" and onto "good".

I don't know whether this is a limitation of the methods or just a case of me not using them enough. Maybe another few months would have given further improvement. Maybe I decided that I was happy with my "OK" accent for the time being and so decided to concentrate on improving other aspects of the language instead. I can't really remember.

In any case, I've seen the old bad habits creep in again after I stopped doing the work. So obviously what I did wasn't enough to make the improvements permanent. I think that, in my case at least, accent is something that should be checked up on and trained quite frequently to ensure that the bad habits aren't coming back.

Short version: I've not been consistent enough with accent work to be able to say anything conclusive.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version