FashionPolyglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3738 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 54
08 March 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm just curious. How bad is your parents' English? My family and I have been living in the United States for 14 years.
My parents still have problems with English grammar. I understand that my parents attended school in the
Philippines, but the schools there require their students to speak English. There shouldn't be an excuse for my
parents to struggle with English.

I guess that's what happens when you are stuck with your comfort zone, and prefer to speak mostly Tagalog. In my
opinion, my parents should speak more English. They don't have to speak less Tagalog, just incorporate 2
languages at once. Code-switching English and tagalog to equal Taglish.

Code-switching is a good way to practice your target language, and at the same time, keep that "Comfort Zone Feel"
with your native tongue. I don't know why my parents refuse to speak English, or even refuse to code-switch it with
tagalog.

1. Are your parents bad at English?
2. What are your thoughts about Code-switching your 2 native languages together?
3. Do you think speaking one native language more over another, is considered, "Being stuck in your comfort zone"?
4. Do you like or dislike comfort zone speaking? Why?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 54
09 March 2014 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Mon cher Fashion,

It seems to me that your question is a variant of your "Do you hate your native tongue" post. Frankly, if you want to beat up yourself for having learned a language other than English, I suppose that you have the right to do so, although I would much prefer not being exposed to your self-hatred. However, your criticism of someone else's ability to speak a second language is simply beyond the pale.   

Furthemore, I do not think that you are being "just curious."   Rather, in this post, and in the previous one, you seem to be using this forum to demean others and to provoke discussions that are neither helpful, nor healthful.

If a moderator wishes to delete my comments, I can live with the decision. However, should this come to pass, I would ask that the same standards be applied to the two posts from monsieur Fashion.

19 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 3 of 54
09 March 2014 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
My mom has perfect English but only after 3 decades of immersion, she didn't know what a chandelier was called
despite having no accent at all.
1 person has voted this message useful

FashionPolyglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3738 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 4 of 54
09 March 2014 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
@Speakeasy

I can't seem to delete the thread. Since your post got 4 votes, and a couple people agree with you (Not for all the
right reasons), then I'll let a moderator delete it for me.

Next time, don't make me look like the bad guy. It's just a thread. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 54
09 March 2014 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
FP, curiosity is a wonderful thing but you seem to be using the forum for the wrong reasons and that is getting people upset with you. It looks like you're trying to make some kind of "splash" on the general forum, as an 18 year old who has yet to learn his first second language through self study methods- you won't be taken seriously.

Your pattern of posting is talking about a language or the periphery of language instead of seeking help learning one. If you'll limit yourself to posting about learning until you get some experience, I promise you that the knowledge trust of the forum will be available to you. Keep this kind of stuff up and you will burn up any goodwill that may remain. If you would just ask about learning a language instead of for validation or advice on your family, or other digressions, you would get amazing help and maybe actually be on your way to learning a language. We can help you learn a language but you must ask! We aren't here to be family counselors or psychiatrists. HTLAL is about learning languages. Unless you change soon, you are about to wear out your welcome.

Edited by iguanamon on 09 March 2014 at 4:33am

14 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5856 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 54
09 March 2014 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Like emk says, it must be something in the air.

Iguanamon, my friend, I wish I had your patience.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 54
09 March 2014 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Some of the things you want to discuss are much more welcome at a board/group for expats or even specifically one for Americans of a Philippine origin. And here you once again took a negative/loaded statement as default.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4048 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 54
09 March 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
I agree with many posters above but this I will tell you;

If someone is stuck in a comfort zone, accommodating to that comfort zone is not going to help. Instead, people have to regularly make themselves go out of their comfort zones, and eventually the zones increase in size. Change comes from within, and I doubt that you can affect the situation in many other ways than making them aware of it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version