Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 49 of 54
12 March 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Gemuse wrote:
    If I didn't have to correct them occasionally, then I would have thought C1 otherwise.

OK, now this sentence is bugging me linguistically. It "sounds" wrong.

I would have thought C1 if I didn't have to correct them occasionally.
1 person has voted this message useful

FashionPolyglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3738 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 50 of 54
12 March 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
@Gemuse

Thanks for the correction. I'm surprised (Not really), that you saw grammar mistakes (You are a language nerd after
all).

The Social Media Era we currently are in, gave several people the habit to initialize & abbreviate words. To imagine
that just a couple years ago, people would text, "Do it yourself". Now, you have people texting DIY for short.

It seems the impact of social media, has made a new trend, in terms of digital communication. Some people
carried their habits on face-to-face conversations, and it just doesn't sound right.

I hear the average C2 native English speaker even saying "LOL", in a real, face-to-face conversation. You're not
suppose to say initialized and abbreviated words at a conversation. You're suppose to say the whole word. That
habit should stay only while you're texting, or on the internet.

^ I don't know how this has anything to do with my grammar, but I guess it impacted it a bit. English is one of the
hardest languages, in terms of grammar. Wouldn't be surprised if even language nerds, made grammatical errors in
english.

Sorry to throw fashion terms at you (DIY & trend). I felt the need to show my enthusiasm. :D

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4048 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 51 of 54
12 March 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
FashionPolyglot wrote:
English is one of the
hardest languages, in terms of grammar.

A common misconception, this is (almost) entirely subjective. Try the grammar of Skolt Saami or Tundra Nenets for reference and tell me that English grammar is harder than that of those. In your perspective, of course.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 52 of 54
12 March 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Or even Portuguese :)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 53 of 54
13 March 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Or Tagalog! ;)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 54 of 54
13 March 2014 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
To answer your original question, though…

My parents aren't immigrants. But my Dad grew up in French and my Mom grew up in English. My Dad's English is
perfect. He's truly bilingual. If you heard him speaking English, you'd assume it was his first language. If you
heard him speaking French, you'd assume the same.

My Mom understands French but doesn't speak it at all. I think it's a shyness/confidence issue. I don't know. She
grew up an anglophone in Montreal - there's definitely some personal linguistic and political history there.
(Funny aside: my francophone Dad is from Ontario and my anglophone Mom is from Quebec. Most people would
assume the opposite. I grew up bilingual in a bilingual community in Ontario.)

My husband - and his entire family - are immigrants from the Philippines. He speaks at a C2+ level, even though
he moved here in his mid-20s. Same thing with his siblings. As I mentioned in an earlier post, his mom is
probably somewhere around B2. His Dad might actually be at C1 - and yes, he does make mistakes and he does
have an accent. Doesn't really matter, though. They read books, watch movies and converse easily in English.
They're retired, though, so they don't have to work in English.

Edited by Stelle on 13 March 2014 at 1:38am

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version