Joined 5326 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 96
11 March 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Do you ever do a language just because you think it is fun, without having any ambitions in it whatsoever, or do you only start languages you intend to "finish".

This is one of the major reasons I chose Egyptian: it's tons of fun, but I don't feel the slightest obligation to "finish" it.

Like Mandarin, Egyptian has an interesting script. It has grammar that bends my brain in delightfully strange ways. There's some surprisingly good literature, some of which was already ancient when Moses tangled with either this guy here, or possibly his son. And well, it's rather amazing to look at a picture of a temple and actually see words

But I'm not trying to "finish" Egyptian, whatever that might mean in this context. I'm just goofing off, taking my time, and working through the occasional text. Because Egyptian is so ancient, I find it easy to limit my ambitions and to just enjoy the process.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 96
11 March 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, Solfrid, when I it looked over I thought: Who am I to tell you these things?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4433 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 11 of 96
11 March 2014 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
I think "fail" is a somewhat misleading word here. An example of that would be my six-months endeavour at one point to learn Standard Arabic. I got through the alphabet, I studied in much detail three or four lessons in a Linguaphone course, supplemented with some other free material I found on a website. However, if I failed it was because I was not dedicated enough and did not pursue it, so today I have forgotten most of it, and struggle to make meaning of Arabic script. I did discover that Arabic is not an easy language to learn (at least for me), but it made Russian seem comparatively easy.

However, if you mean studying a language for an extended period of time without having the ambition of ever speaking or writing it at a proficient level, then I guess my Romansh studies partly fall into that category. I do try to write a little in my log, but it is mostly passive acquisition. I can read a book or listen to a news programme on the radio and understand most of it, but I would be hard pressed keeping up a meaningful conversation in the language. On the other hand, the example is perhaps not the best, as it is a Romance language, so I get a lot "for free" from Italian and Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4047 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 96
11 March 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
What an odd premise I must say, because I don't think I will fail in any language I will study actively unless there are factors outside of my own motivation and sufficient materials.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 96
11 March 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Sorry, Solfrid, when I it looked over I thought: Who am I to tell you these things?

If I ask it is because I am genuinely interested in the answers. If I had all the answers myself, I might as well
just stay put :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 96
11 March 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Can you fail a language?

I don't think so.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 15 of 96
11 March 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
That's what I'm doing right now with Ladino. I will never master this language, but I'm having fun exploring the language, religion and culture of a people about whom I knew little before. There are two different Hebrew scripts to explore. It's pretty neat to read Judeo-Spanish from right to left in Hebrew Rashi script and Solitreo handwriting and be able to understand it thanks to my Spanish and Portuguese. I'm having lots of fun with it even if there is no point.

My advice to you, at this stage of your life with languages, after you have accomplished so much, is to just be happy learning what you can, even knowing that you won't be able to speak Mandarin, Greek, Mongolian or Russian like you do Spanish. As Zen philosophy says, it's our expectations which make us unhappy. Let go of those, perhaps now, unrealistic expectations and be happy.

I'll leave you with this quote from Barry Farber to illustrate my point, which I've quoted before (HTLAL's eyes begin to roll, again!):

Barry Farber How To Learn Any Language wrote:
...For the next thirty-five years I stood my ground and resisted taking up any new language. The languages I’d studied up to that point included Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portugese, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Chinese (Mandarin dialect), Indonesian, Hungarian, Finnish, Yiddish and Hebrew. I happily applied myself to building competence in those languages and turning a deaf ear to all others.

It was tempting to tackle Greek; so many Greeks I could have practiced with were popping up in my daily travels, but I clung to my policy of “No more languages, thank you!” That policy was misguided; in fact, swine headed. I was like the waiter standing there with arms folded who gets asked by a diner if he knows what time it is and brusquely replies “Sorry. That’s not my table!”

I could have easily and profitably picked up a few words and phrases every time I went to the Greek coffee shop and in the process learned another major language. But I didn’t. In the 1980’s immigrants to New York, where I lived, began to pour in from unaccustomed corners of the world, adding languages like Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Farsi, Bengali, Pashtu, Twi, Fanti, Wollof, Albanian, and Dagumbi to our already rich inventory of Spanish, Chinese, Italian, Yiddish, Portugese, Greek, Polish, and Hebrew. I abandoned the policy. Now I want to learn them all – not completely, just enough to delight the heart of an Indian or African cab driver who never before in his entire life met an American who tried to learn his language.

You ought to see the look on a Haitian cab driver's face in New Orleans or Miami when I greet him in Haitian Creole and tell him my destination. We'll have a pleasant conversation of small talk. Yeah, I make mistakes, but they love that I try and seem to know a fair bit! I get really good service too!

Edited by iguanamon on 11 March 2014 at 10:30pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

tea oolong
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4210 days ago

28 posts - 33 votes
Studies: Korean*

Message 16 of 96
11 March 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 

Written Chinese and Spoken Chinese would be a snap for the OP. But, despite the language
she's learning, I'd strongly suggest she practice writing and memorize Chinese Characters
while she practices her current language.

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version