96 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 11 12 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 41 of 96
13 March 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
Volte wrote:
Stolen: any Slavic language is difficult as your first
one. Vowel reduction and unpredictable stress
are annoying, but not a huge barrier - English has both, and isn't considered
astonishingly difficult. Palatalization
isn't a big deal either. But the grammar really is complex, full of exceptions, and
subtle in ways that take a long
time to get your head around - the aspect system is not easy. It seems a bit harder
than Polish to me, but not by
much.

In English, stress is only lexical, not mobile, nobody ever mentions vowel reduction
in English for some reason so I
assume something in Russian sets it apart. What exceptions exist outside the plain
irregular morphology I am led
to believe it has making it harder than Polish?

Is it the hardest Indo European language then? Hardest Slavic language?

The hardest Indo-European language is probably some obscure Celtic language because no
one speaks it and it's hard to get into an immersion situation.

I don't speak Polish, but I do know Russian and for me that language was easier (!!!!)
than French to learn. Or than German. You see, any language is easy to learn if you do
it right. Mobile stress is annoying in Russian but English phonology is equally
confusing (and less well-indicated anyway).

1 person has voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4182 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 42 of 96
13 March 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
albysky wrote:

I have been at it for 5 years - admittedly with some very, very long breaks now and then, and I am still only
at
A2. I jokingly say that with the amount of effort I have put in I should have been able not just to read
Dostojevski, I should have been able to write like Dostojevski. And I am no novice, I have studied other
languages before.

Have you ever thought that you may have followed a wrong /ineffective approach in learning russian ?
You may have concentrated too much on the nuts and bolts (grammar and classroom studies ) and too
less on the general picture (listening ,reading and passive vocabulary acquisition) . As far as i know steve
kaufmann is by any means functional in russian and he learnt it in a about 5 years . If he is made it ,i think
you can make it too , it could be just a matter of changing perspective .

I guess that between the breaks (up to 18 months breaks in some cases), a busy life, a series of life
altering
events and losses over that specific period of time, and the fact that the method which works best for me
(immersion) is not available to me, there are some very good reasons why it has taken longer than it
should
have. I also suspect that Steve Kaufmann can dedicate more of his time to languages than I can :-) My
dyslexia does not exactly help either. Learning to read again when you are dyslectic and past 50 is not a
walk
in the park.

Indeed yes , time is really important especially with a language like russian , mental energy is really
important as well ,in this regard a hectic schedule is not exactly the best option .

Edited by albysky on 13 March 2014 at 5:47pm

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4038 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 43 of 96
13 March 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Hard for whom? I've never felt languages with huge amounts of accidence difficult to
master, but then I come from a background littered with such. See, this is one of the
many many reasons why labels like "Indo-European" aren't very helpful for modern
language learners unless you're telling me it would be easier for a modern...let's
say....English speaker to pick up Luwian or Sanskrit by virtue of their being Indo-
European than Finnish or Turkish? Not directed at you, I just hate the way its bandied
about.

On the other hand I ought to point out that as per your example, the realisation that
Celtic was a branch of Indo-European is considered one of the intellectual triumphs of
the discipline given how divergent and complex it can be in areas. Which is odd since
I'm young and grew up post all the hard work done so it seems obvious. Just saying you
may have a point, all other things considered. But then, as we know, language
difficulty is highly relative. I mean I've never heard anyone say Russian is easier
than French before. I believe you! Just find it interesting. :)

As per this thread well, if you exclude dead languages...than not so much. There used
to be a time when I'd go hardcore on a modern language for 6 months, get to reading,
read some stuff and then forget and move on but nowadays I can't hold everything in my
head with any great facility so I'm more careful. I really would like to have an
"exotic" language however.

Ah...one day....

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 44 of 96
13 March 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
The first time you do something is always the hardest one because you need to figure out
how the goddamn controls work. I learned how to pilot the aircraft of the Dutch/English
language quickly (because if you grow up on the damn plane, then that helps), but French
was the first time someone told me "and now it's your turn, fly".

Any language we speak on this planet is spoken by humans with human larynxes and human
glottises. So you can learn it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 45 of 96
13 March 2014 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
There are a lot of challenging things about Russian, but I think it also has some features in the learners favor as well.

For one thing Russian sentences always seem very streamlined to me without too many little extra words floating around. I've been studying French for a good deal longer than Russian, and I would say my French is stronger than my Russian in all areas. But still when using Assimil Le Russe Sans Peine, every once in a while I'll come across a more complicated French sentence that will make me go "huh?" for a second and then I'll look at the much shorter Russian equivalent and everything will immediately become clear.

I also think a lot of the most difficult aspects of Russian lie more in speaking correctly. But in passive comprehension I don't think Russian is significantly more difficult than any other indo-european language I've studied so far except perhaps for being less transparent to anglophones. And I've noticed a good drill based course seems to help a lot with getting more comfortable with the inflections and irregularities.

Edited by YnEoS on 13 March 2014 at 6:19pm

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5022 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 46 of 96
13 March 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
We seem to have moved on to talking about the hardest IE language. A few comments about this. It seems to me that language can be hard for at least three reasons.

The first reason is relational, and is a measure of the distance between a language one already knows and the language one is trying to learn. This is just a matter of difference: one who only speaks inflected languages will have more trouble learning an analytic language, ceteris paribus, than another inflected language--and vice versa. Differences may show up in multiple ways--vocabulary, conjugation, tense, and phonology. There may be nothing intrinsically hard about an analytic language or inflected language, a tonal or non-tonal language, it's merely the lack of familiarity that makes it difficult.

The second reason is non-relational, and measures the intrinsic complexity of a language. A language that has 2000 irregular verbs will be, holding other things equal, more difficult than a language with 2 irregular verbs. Certain languages may use phonemes that are hard for the human vocal tract to produce--not because one isn't used to producing such sounds, but simply because of the physical makeup of the human throat. Or an alphabet may be poorly designed.

The third reason is logistical. How easily can we find materials, literature, native speakers? This will be somewhat relational as well, since those speaking different languages can access different written materials, but is still distinct from the first factor.

We should be careful to specify which kind of difficulty we refer to, otherwise misunderstandings may result. Also, when we discuss the first factor, the relational one, we must specify both the languages the speaker already speaks and the language they're learning. That is to say, Russian may be pure agony for English (only) speakers to learn, but a breeze for Minskites.

Edited by ScottScheule on 13 March 2014 at 7:47pm

Stolan
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 47 of 96
13 March 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
To Tarvos

Russian vs
Icelandic

Russian can compete with Icelandic according to this.

Russian is not
hard

Look at how the remaining pages are of folks shooting this guy down.

Maybe these are from an elder era of HTLAL, albeit things must age really fast if change occurs that way.
But nearly every other post on difficulty always finds its way back to Russian, and Russian only with some point
being made on how Russian is harder than other Slavic languages or something. I just want to know why.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 48 of 96
13 March 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
To Tarvos

Russian
vs
Icelandic

Russian can compete with Icelandic according to this.

Russian
is not
hard

Look at how the remaining pages are of folks shooting this guy down.

Maybe these are from an elder era of HTLAL, albeit things must age really fast if
change occurs that way.
But nearly every other post on difficulty always finds its way back to Russian, and
Russian only with some point
being made on how Russian is harder than other Slavic languages or something. I just
want to know why.

Those threads were equally nonsensical back then too. I have experience with Icelandic
and can tell you that it isn't harder or simpler than Russian. It's different, though,
but I have a huge bonus when learning it because I can pidgin in Swedish.

People's egos are easily challenged on the net when they see someone have success. I
don't pay attention to "hardest language ever" claims.

Edited by tarvos on 13 March 2014 at 7:19pm

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version