Studies: French, German, Persian

Message 33 of 96
13 March 2014 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Do you ever study a language you know you have no chance
whatsoever to become functional in?

Do you ever do a language just because you think it is fun, without having any
ambitions in it whatsoever, or
do you only start languages you intend to "finish".

And for the record, the question is not "Do you ever dabble". Most of us do. The thing
is that I always have
the intention of becoming somewhat functional. With Mandarin it would be more of a "
Oh, what a nice shiny
language, let's look at some of the letters" sort of thing.

Absolutely, I have been dipping in and out of 'Teach Yourself Hungarian' and
'Hippocrene: Beginner's Serbian' for a while. I will probably never become proficient
in either language, but I did get the 'ooooh, shiny' feeling when I read through the
books online. I only know a few phrases in either language. I won't be looking at the
Serbian for a while because I am getting back into Russian and I don't want any
interference from another Slavic language.
My only logic for getting the books was that I knew, and still know, very little about
Hungarian and I had just watched a television series on the collapse of Yugoslavia.
1 person has voted this message useful

kimb1
United States
Joined 3716 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 34 of 96
13 March 2014 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
No way! I have big plans for any language that I have an interest in. If I go to the trouble of checking out a language book from the library or starting an online course, I fully intend to become functional in that language.

Of course, once I start working through the book and come to terms with the reality that trying to work on another language will just slow down progress on the ones I really need to work on, I lose interest.

Stolan
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 35 of 96
13 March 2014 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
To be more on topic to this thread, it seems everybody talks of how difficult Russian is and how little progress
they're making. It seems to be the hardest Indo-European languages according to how many posts have popped up
on just how difficult it is. Ironically the most widely spoken Slavic language is the hardest allegedly. So irregular
and full of strange words like "vowel reduction" "palatalization" "stress" "exceptions" popping up again and again,
beating Icelandic and Lithuanian in complexity yada yada. Tons of exceptions....try Min Chinese sandhi and then
complain about irregular changes.
So it seems that folks in the USSR could just learn it but everyone here is barely getting through.
A language spoken by millions beats small ingrown languages, looks like they really have something.

Edited by Stolan on 13 March 2014 at 6:05am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 96
13 March 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
@ Stolan: Having no knowledge of the languages you mention (1.5 hour studying Icelandic is all I can boast)
I cannot compare Russan to them. I have however dabbled in dozens of languages, including Arabic and
Hebrew, and I can truthfully say, that although I love the language to death, there is no language which I have
found so hard to learn as Russian.

I have been at it for 5 years - admittedly with some very, very long breaks now and then, and I am still only at
A2. I jokingly say that with the amount of effort I have put in I should have been able not just to read
Dostojevski, I should have been able to write like Dostojevski. And I am no novice, I have studied other
languages before. Some of the factors that play a role is that now I am much older and have much less time
to study, but since I see how many other struggle as well, I suspect that that is not the whole explanation.

A colleague of mine studied Russian at the University for three full years, and he still says that he would be
embarrassed to say that he speaks Russian, even though he got an A on every exam.

And this is not to discourage anyone - Russian is an amazing language, and I encourage everyone to study it
- but you should be patient with yourself, and not give up if it takes a little bit more time than you first
expected :-) It is so worth the effort.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 37 of 96
13 March 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Stolen: any Slavic language is difficult as your first one. Vowel reduction and unpredictable stress are annoying, but not a huge barrier - English has both, and isn't considered astonishingly difficult. Palatalization isn't a big deal either. But the grammar really is complex, full of exceptions, and subtle in ways that take a long time to get your head around - the aspect system is not easy. It seems a bit harder than Polish to me, but not by much.

Is Russian the hardest language in the world? No. I can't compare it to Arabic or Mandarin meaningfully, so I won't. Is it harder to get decent at than a Romance or Germanic language, for native speakers of a Germanic or Romance language? Yes.
3 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4182 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 38 of 96
13 March 2014 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 

I have been at it for 5 years - admittedly with some very, very long breaks now and then, and I am still only
at
A2. I jokingly say that with the amount of effort I have put in I should have been able not just to read
Dostojevski, I should have been able to write like Dostojevski. And I am no novice, I have studied other
languages before.

Have you ever thought that you may have followed a wrong /ineffective approach in learning russian ?
You may have concentrated too much on the nuts and bolts (grammar and classroom studies ) and too
less on the general picture (listening ,reading and passive vocabulary acquisition) . As far as i know steve
kaufmann is by any means functional in russian and he learnt it in a about 5 years . If he is made it ,i think
you can make it too , it could be just a matter of changing perspective .

Edited by albysky on 13 March 2014 at 3:18pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 39 of 96
13 March 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
albysky wrote:

I have been at it for 5 years - admittedly with some very, very long breaks now and then, and I am still only
at
languages before.

Have you ever thought that you may have followed a wrong /ineffective approach in learning russian ?
You may have concentrated too much on the nuts and bolts (grammar and classroom studies ) and too
less on the general picture (listening ,reading and passive vocabulary acquisition) . As far as i know steve
kaufmann is by any means functional in russian and he learnt it in a about 5 years . If he is made it ,i think
you can make it too , it could be just a matter of changing perspective .

I guess that between the breaks (up to 18 months breaks in some cases), a busy life, a series of life altering
events and losses over that specific period of time, and the fact that the method which works best for me
(immersion) is not available to me, there are some very good reasons why it has taken longer than it should
have. I also suspect that Steve Kaufmann can dedicate more of his time to languages than I can :-) My
dyslexia does not exactly help either. Learning to read again when you are dyslectic and past 50 is not a walk
in the park.

Stolan
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 40 of 96
13 March 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Stolen: any Slavic language is difficult as your first one. Vowel reduction and unpredictable stress
are annoying, but not a huge barrier - English has both, and isn't considered astonishingly difficult. Palatalization
isn't a big deal either. But the grammar really is complex, full of exceptions, and subtle in ways that take a long
time to get your head around - the aspect system is not easy. It seems a bit harder than Polish to me, but not by
much.

In English, stress is only lexical, not mobile, nobody ever mentions vowel reduction in English for some reason so I
assume something in Russian sets it apart. What exceptions exist outside the plain irregular morphology I am led
to believe it has making it harder than Polish?

Is it the hardest Indo European language then? Hardest Slavic language? Sorry, its just I have this preconception an
ingrown language with fewer speakers (Icelandic, Czech) tend to be more difficult than what used to be a lingua
franca for the USSR.

Edited by Stolan on 13 March 2014 at 4:50pm

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version