nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 193 of 196
01 August 2015 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks Zireal. I am just learning singular right now, but I think I will go back and add the plurals in the next couple of months.

I haven't known what to do with the two active forums. I don't want to leave here, but it seemed pointless to post if it was going to be closed down... so I
have put off posting anywhere (plus some of my friends are MIA). However, I can't help but want to share some exciting news from today. I got to go to
Dearborn, and I got a pile of Arabic books today. They are WAYYYY up over my head, but I just love looking at them and feeling a longing for the day I can
read them! : )   At the Middle Eastern Bookstore, the man there was so friendly and helpful. He finally understood that I wanted stories with both English
and Arabic, and he helped me find them. He kept saying "You need someone to help you. I can help you." I told him I was only around this area for two more
days, and he said "I can teach you a lot in two days." : ) Sweet. He gave me his business card and said that I can come, and he will help me. I know he is
right... I know I need some native interaction with this language... but I am not ready... I am a grammar person, so I want to get at least a cursory
understanding of how the language works before I start trying to learn how to say things. I know our friend Bakunin has a different way of going about it, and
I know that method has some excellent benefits. I might actually be able to say things instead of feeling quite silly about the fact that I know about
conjugating verbs, but I can't say simple things like "have a good afternoon." Yikes! My natural shyness is only enhanced when I only do bookish type of
language study.

When things get sorted as to which forum is the one going forward, I will post about my studies this month. I feel like I have taken a step forward with
Arabic, and it feels exciting. I also have some questions, so I am hoping my fellow Arabic learners and maybe even our wonderful Arabic native speakers will
be willing to help me out a bit. I'll post those questions later, though, when we are all on one site. The next six weeks are the busiest of the year for me,
so I know I won't be taking any more big steps forward, but I do want to try to hold on to what I have gained.

I did get to have a little Spanish conversation Wednesday, and I hope to see those people again on Sunday. I feel like it went well. The hardest part is that
she was shy, and I couldn't hear her because she was talking so low. I felt like I was losing my hearing!!! Also I have the same problem in Spanish as
Arabic, I never practice speaking, so when I do, I am not fluent/fluid at all. Words that I know, I have to search for them. I know I need to start talking
to myself every day...

I have no idea why I did this, but when I registered for the new forum, I used a different name. It's not that I mind my real name being known, it just seemed
boring... : ) Everyone has such cool names.... of course, I still didn't pick a cool name, but oh well. So on the new forum, I am Nomad. So if we end
up there, you'll know who I am. : ) I'll also put my real name in my signature.
1 person has voted this message useful

A Callidryas
United States
Joined 3392 days ago

7 posts - 20 votes
Studies: Persian

Message 194 of 196
01 August 2015 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Hi Nomad,

You might already know about this website, but if not, you can find dual language books here: http://www.alkitab.com/s1040-ar-dual-language-fictione-a.htm l
3 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4457 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 195 of 196
01 August 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link, but ugh, the prices!

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 196 of 196
01 August 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Yes, thank you for the link. I think I will add it to my page of things I want to remember from my log.

Has anyone ever used or heard about the website "Natural Arabic." It seems interesting. There are articles in Arabic and English with audio.
With their free samples, I can see there are some things about it that are really nice. Just curious if anyone has used it and feels it is worth
the price. I am going to try their free samples for now.

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version