22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5096 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 17 of 22
25 March 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I didn't even see your post before it was deleted, only as a quote. I think I've reported only one post by you recently.

The network of the usual suspects works well enough, but I am glad that at least the quote survived. Later generations will find it a consolation that this kind of Lingsoc did not pass completely unchallenged.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5330 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 22
25 March 2014 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
napoleon wrote:
Take it from me, I have no trouble maintaining my three good languages.

Your native language is Bengali and you keep your Hindi and English alive and kicking? Congratulations! How would you try to avoid that? That would be an interesting post, for a change ...

lingoleng, this behavior is unacceptable at HTLAL, because it breaks the forum rule against personally attacking other users:

Quote:
FLAMES, PERSONAL ATTACKS & DISRUPTIVE POSTING
Do not post deliberately inflammatory, argumentative or aggressive messages. If you disagree with a person, you can argue with his ideas in a respectful manner. Don't attack the person, his personality or what he is, even in an indirect way. This is not why people come on this forum and offending posts will be deleted and you will be banned. If you resent the existence of people who speak more languages than you do now, you will find this forum frustrating. People who post disruptive messages on the forum or can't abide by the forum rules will have their account terminated.

This is not the first time you have personally attacked other users over the quality of their posts, and you have been warned about this behavior several times by multiple moderators. In fact, this is your second such post in less than 12 hours.

The moderating team has discussed this behavior, and we will no longer permit it here at HTLAL. Please consider this a final warning, from the entire moderating team: If we need to speak to you about the forum rules again, your account will be closed, and you will be banned from HTLAL.

If you wish to disagree with another user's advice, please do so civilly, by explaining what is wrong with the advice, and please leave the user themselves out of it. If you feel that a particular piece of advice is both incorrect and very frequent, you are welcome to politely summarize your objections to the advice—not to the poster—in a post titled "What I dislike about method X", with no personal attacks, and to link back to that post when you feel it's important to raise those issues.
11 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4437 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 19 of 22
25 March 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
I must say it is strange how some are able to start a heated and nasty discussion from a perfectly legitimate and reasonable question like the OPs. I was going to give my views on this, but given the tone of the discussion I decided to abstain. The kind of mud-slinging one sees from time to time in certain threads puts me off and I've reduced my participation in the forum discussions as a result.

Thank you EMK for sending a clear message which everyone should take note of.
6 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5096 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 20 of 22
25 March 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

If you wish to disagree with another user's advice, please do so civilly, by explaining what is wrong with the advice, and please leave the user themselves out of it. If you feel that a particular piece of advice is both incorrect and very frequent, you are welcome to politely summarize your objections to the advice—not to the poster—in a post titled "What I dislike about method X", with no personal attacks, and to link back to that post when you feel it's important to raise those issues.

Ok, a very general reply: the OP wrote: " I would like to know how you guys maintain a few languages working full-time five times a week. Please, also consider that I do not live in an environment where people speak any of those languages above."
Taking the first sentence into consideration I would find it perfectly understandable and also recommendable to focus on few languages for the time being, and only later, when these languages have reached the status of "stable and self-sustaining", add more workload. Only the original poster can know what he himself considers stable enough and when it is time to add new languages.
As he explicitly states that he does not live in a real life immersion situation, I don't think any experience from a basically multi-lingual country is helpful, the situations are not comparable.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 22
25 March 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
OP, may I ask if you happen to be a heritage learner of Japanese?
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3845 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 22 of 22
25 March 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
@Serpent,
I'm still quite curious about the fact of studying related languages. In a positive way!
But I'm going to open a new thread for that.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version