How to maintain 5 languages

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Mankogadaisuki
Decaglot
Brazil
Joined 3714 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, Galician, Arabic (classical), Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, German

Message 1 of 22
16 March 2014 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Hello everybody,

At the moment, I am studying actively the following languages: Japanese, English,
Estonian, Russian and Chinese. I would like to know how you guys maintain a few languages
working full-time five times a week. Please, also consider that I do not live in an
environment where people speak any of those languages above.

Regards

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5060 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 22
16 March 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
First, welcome to the forum, Mankogadaisuki! There's a big difference in maintaining languages after you have learned them and maintaining studying languages that you haven't learned yet.

I will assume that you mean the latter. If that is the case, have a look at your fellow Brazilian Expugnator's log. He is a master of time management and juggling. Member, Serpent, is also quite adept at studying several languages simultaneously and gives good advice for those who would like to do that.

Also, you should consider updating your profile to reflect the languages you "speak" and the ones you study. Looking at your profiles helps members to give you more informed advice. You can edit your languages by clicking "Portuguese" and then add a language. For example, by your post it looks as if you speak English.

Boa sorte e bem-vindo ao forum!

Edited by iguanamon on 16 March 2014 at 10:47pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3739 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Studies: Mandarin, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 22
16 March 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Teaching them (or otherwise using them professionally) helps a lot ;)

If that's not an option or a desire of yours though, then watching regular TV/film in the relevant language helps a lot.

This can be web TV, or it can be a DVD collection, or as in my case, both.

Reading too, of course, and it is of great help to have at least one friend with whom you can converse in that language, be it nearby or electronically.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mankogadaisuki
Decaglot
Brazil
Joined 3714 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, Galician, Arabic (classical), Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, German

Message 4 of 22
17 March 2014 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I have just finished reading the most relevant part of Expugnator’s blog. He is indeed
a master of time management; however, I should, perhaps, reconsider whether I should
drop one more language or not. I have already decided to not study German or Korean for
now.

@Iguanamon, the definition of “having learned a language” is complicated because it
will vary according to the person. I can tell you that I am quite comfortable in a few
languages for reading and comprehension.

It is complicated for me to list the languages I speak since the only one I really
speak is Brazilian Portuguese. Furthermore, I feel like I am always learning something
new even in my mother tongue. I am always checking the words in the dictionary and
learning new expressions that appear in the media, among young people etc. The other
day I was reading an article about astrophysics in English and another one in
Portuguese. I could understand in English, but not in Portuguese, despite the fact that
the first language is not my mother tongue.

My passive skills (writing and listening) are much better even in Portuguese, despite
the fact that I have been trying to speak as much as I can; however, the “failure was
not due to the lack of training because I speak in Portuguese every day.

Brazilian people often say that it requires a “couple of years” for me to answer them
(in Portuguese). Obviously it is much exaggerated, but the situation get worse in other
languages. I can speak neither fast nor as well as I can understand or write. For
example, as for Japanese, I can understand NHK (Japanese channel), read newspapers
(Yomiuri Shinbun, Asahi Shinbun, Mainichi Shinbun), magazines, manga and watch movies
or dramas without subtitles. If you ask me whether I can speak Japanese, I would answer
‘no’. So, I might ‘delete’ all the languages I have listed there soon again.

Anyway, as DavidStyles said, I will try to continue watching things in Chinese, so that
I won’t get totally rusty on that language.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 22
17 March 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Thanks, I really appreciate being recommended :)

Don't worry, we all know that speaking is a gradual thing. Speaks vs studies is more about what you've achieved so far than whether you're still learning the language. I'd say that apart from English, there's no default assumption that you're no longer studying the language. But with your level of English, it's also puzzling to see that you don't claim to speak it. There's also this thread, btw. In short: please don't delete your languages!

Now as for the main question, it's an important topic to me and I've started a wikia article about that. One thing I've been meaning to add is how challenges help. Look around and you'll see various, like TAC (no, it's not too late to join! you'd be welcome in teams Advanced English and Exploradores among others), then there's also the 6 week challenge, Tadoku, Super Challenge (it starts in May and there's a prep challenge in April) and the small but cozy consistency thread. For most of these you need to choose your focus language(s), which can of course be different for every challenge. It's a great way to focus on something specific without neglecting other things.

In general I don't think you should drop any of your languages. I'd say it's actually easier to manage 5-7 than 2-3, since if you're learning less than four languages, one will tend to dominate, to the point of excluding the others. But the "do something every day" idea is overrated. Your sessions need to be long enough to experience flow. Especially when you've already achieved a pretty high level or have a regular contact with a group of related languages (in my case it's most of the Romance ones), you won't lose your knowledge unless you take an extended break. (see this thread too)

One more idea I like is focusing on one problem at a time, whether language-specific or something that several of your languages have in common.

If you do SRS (or have a lot of cards but no longer do it), see this thread.

Also, just like with your level, your learning intensity is also a sliding scale. It's fine to have hardcore sessions only once a month or so. Whatever works for you.

Hope this helps :-) My own study patterns are best seen in my 6 week challenge stats, I think.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4964 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 6 of 22
17 March 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, Mankogadaisuki.

Perhaps looking at the descriptions of the CEFR may help you evaluate your level. If you
can do what you said for your Japanese, then you have at least 'basic fluency' in it.
That's how I'd describe my French: I'm far from being able to understand anything or say
anything, but I can already make a good use of it. In the case of this forum, you can
list a note as "Speaks' and keep studying it, it's perfectly normal for us.

It's important to have an arsenal of 'extensive' actitivies you have on hold for whenever
time break you may find around the day: reading a book or watching a video are the most
common ones, but a lot of people like SRS such as Anki, Memrise or traditional
flashcards.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 22
18 March 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Another member has started a similar thread. Cross-linking here because you'll both benefit from the advice the other person got.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3845 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 8 of 22
19 March 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Hi @serpent, it is not a case that I opened a
similar thread, since I did it after having read