glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 24
21 May 2014 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I have studied French a little in the past with the help of this website. I did got get too far, though, but it was fun.
Back in college I took French 101, a basic course, and got about a C-. Meanwhile I watched Seinfeld in French and
L-R'd Around the World in 80 Days, L'Etranger, and similar books. I took French intermediate conversation course
next semester, which I was not qualified for (or allowed to take), but was able to understand the teacher very well,
and got a B+. I went to Morocco and could talk to people in French in basic ways but could understand what they
said to me at good pace.

Reading on here, I realize I did not go so far as I could in French. Now my abilities in it are all gone and I can
understand barely anything.

I am now learning Spanish to go to Mexico soon. I took basic Spanish many years ago in high school in USA.

I have been listening to about 2 hours a a day of Seinfeld (I know many episodes by heart in English, which is why I
use this show) of the same 5 Seinfeld episodes. For these episodes, many words have ' separated out ' and I have
learned a little in this way.

I m now doing Harry Potter traditional L-R. I have not kept up with reading the L-R threads on this forum (only the
original several years ago).

How has L-R been working for people?
Do I want to re-listen to the first Harry Potter book 3 times before moving on the next one?

Does someone know a place to find (download or buy) the other Harry Potter books in audiobook format. I found
the first on amazon as CDs but cannot find the others. I would also love to read other books in Spanish audio such
as Kerouac's On the Road, Lolita, Tropic of Cancer--these are just some books I like and have read many times.

Thanks for any ideas, insults, or links.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 24
21 May 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
siomotteikiru has compiled some HTLAL posts, as well as other materials.

You definitely don't have to go through the same HP book several times. There's a lot of repetition within the whole series, and the books get progressively more difficult. Are you already familiar with the story in English?
2 persons have voted this message useful

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 3 of 24
22 May 2014 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Thanks, I have been reading more L-R posts recently.

I have already read the HP stories in English a few times. I think I could stand to reread some more literary books. I
like Harry Potter a lot, but it's not the type of book I can reread in a row. I'm doing about 6 hours a day, and already
my other Spanish material is much easier to understand, and I can sort of read the Spanish-only book without the
audio, or at least follow along with it. My other study of relistening to Spanish sitcoms now seems like a waste of
time compared to this L-R type activity.

Is there a good place for Spanish audiobooks? A few years ago I remember I had a link to a site with a lot of them,
and I think I actually had copies of most of the books. I can't find it now though.

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3779 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 4 of 24
22 May 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Here are three sources of free Spanish audiobooks.

1. Edited

2. Biblioteca Digital Ciudad Seva -- Cuentes
http://www.ciudadseva.com/bibcuent.htm

3. Leer Escuchando
http://www.leerescuchando.net/

Edited by newyorkeric on 23 May 2014 at 10:49am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 24
22 May 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
albalearning.com

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 6 of 24
25 May 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the sites!

I've had to work a lot, but I did finish Harry Potter #1, and am halfway through #2.
The second audiobook I got has a different accent, that uses "th" instead of "c," which throws me off a little. The
dubbed Spanish tracks on my Seinfeld DVDs sounds much clearer to me and is easier to understand, but I don't
know what sort of accent it is. So for with LR, I've noticed that the Seinfeld I listen to (in the car, 1-3 hours per day)
has become much easier for me to understand. It took me a few months of just listening to Seinfeld (already
knowing the story line from English) to get to a point where I could follow many of the lines on a few episodes.
After just the small amount of L-R, I can listen to episodes that I haven't heard yet in Spanish and follow along. I'm
still missing a lot of words, obviously.

I'm having a little trouble finding L-R success stories. I think I went through the main pages.

Any of you have L-R stories to share?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 7 of 24
25 May 2014 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
The first link I posted contains some. See this too ("it works for some people" - and a list of HTLAL profiles. read their logs, especially Volte's)

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 8 of 24
25 May 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
sorry to ask the same question over & over, just excited that this seems to be working for me. i wish i could really
put in more hours.

i'm also taking supplements that i think might be helping my learning: pregnenolone, vitamin b1, caffeine, and lots
of sugar.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version